2023 Ford Escape antenna options

WRYZ926

Glass mount antennas usually won't work on newer vehicles with factory tint due to the tint have metal in it. My Escape has factory tint. And a portable will still need an outside antenna. I'll probably end up going with an articulate mount like posted above. The next thing after that is running the cable inside. There really isn't a good place at the rear lift gate to get a coax cable through.

If it was an older vehicle, I would have already drilled a hole for a NMO mount.

39 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Glass mount antennas usually won't work on newer vehicles with factory tint due to the tint have metal in it. My Escape has factory tint. And a portable will still need an outside antenna. I'll probably end up going with an articulate mount like posted above. The next thing after that is running the cable inside. There really isn't a good place at the rear lift gate to get a coax cable through.

If it was an older vehicle, I would have already drilled a hole for a NMO mount.

Eventually it will be older and then you’ll drill the hole. Then you’ll realize how well it works and you’ll wish you had just drilled it earlier and gotten the enjoyment out of it.

It’s just like houses.  I see so many people who wait until they’re selling their houses to fix them up.  All they’re doing is depriving themselves.

Any reason you are not considering a magnet mount? Is the roof aluminum? You are running out of options.

An NMO on a magnet, coax routed through the hatch is a viable option. Wax up the roof well, then periodically life, clean, wax, repeat.

Another option, if there are “ditch light” brackets for the Escape (or maybe Explorer Sport?) you could mount an antenna on a ditch light bracket. Keeps it off the hood lip.

57 minutes ago, WRUZ229 said:

Another option, if there are “ditch light” brackets for the Escape (or maybe Explorer Sport?) you could mount an antenna on a ditch light bracket. Keeps it off the hood lip.

Comet also makes a couple generic brackets that are basically an s bend, and use one of the fender bolts to hold the mount just above the fender. This is the shorter one, I believe there is a "tall" option also.

Screenshot_20231015-111939.png

Screenshot_20231015-112036.png

3 hours ago, WRWE456 said:

Any reason you are not considering a magnet mount? Is the roof aluminum? You are running out of options.

I have had bad luck with magnet mounts in the past with CB antennas. They either don't stay put or scratch the paint.

Regardless of the type of mount I go with, I have to be careful running the cable inside since there are too many pinch points at the rear lift gate. I'll figure something out. Plus I haven't decided if I am going to run a GMRS radio, 2m/70CM radio or both in the vehicle.

I also have to keep in mind of overall height since my garage door opening is only 7 feet.

Regarding pinch points, I have found that taping two short cut pieces of coax on each side. They will take the brunt of a pinch instead of your active coax. Metal ducting tape works well to keep it in place. Add some slack where the bends are so the bend diameter is larger. I think the articulating lip mount will be your best option.

Some helpful images for mobile antenna mounting considerations.
7e761c1db89442a840b4a6fd5afdbfb5.jpg

02f7546aea9108db46e4c1796ffc8043.jpg

Good luck on your install and happy mobiling!

Sent using Tapatalk

I have had bad luck with magnet mounts in the past with CB antennas. They either don't stay put or scratch the paint.
Regardless of the type of mount I go with, I have to be careful running the cable inside since there are too many pinch points at the rear lift gate. I'll figure something out. Plus I haven't decided if I am going to run a GMRS radio, 2m/70CM radio or both in the vehicle.
 I also have to keep in mind of overall height since my garage door opening is only 7 feet.

The “ghost” type antennas are working great for me. Low profile.

13 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Could you take the factory shark fin antenna base off and add an NMO or other small base to it, then remount it. That might allow you to run the cable inside also without worrying about pinch points. 

I'll have to look into that. The shark fin has the Sirius XM antenna along with the GPS antenna inside it. The FM antenna is inside the rear window.

I know you're going to say no because most every other suggestion anyone has made you don't like, but for the sake of throwing it out there, I'm going to throw something like this out there.

https://www.gigaparts.com/mfj-310s.html?utm_term=sku-zmf-310s&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm66pBhDQARIsALIR2zBGnqEdeM1qaplmLAQzJ0WeocTGDgft9uHiVykAwzqMeQYPwteVTrYaArz2EALw_wcB

1 hour ago, WRQC527 said:

I know you're going to say no because most every other suggestion anyone has made you don't like, but for the sake of throwing it out there, I'm going to throw something like this out there.

https://www.gigaparts.com/mfj-310s.html?utm_term=sku-zmf-310s&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm66pBhDQARIsALIR2zBGnqEdeM1qaplmLAQzJ0WeocTGDgft9uHiVykAwzqMeQYPwteVTrYaArz2EALw_wcB

I'm not goin to say no to that. In fact I am looking at all of the options/suggestions given so far other than drilling holes. Though I don't know how that window mount would work with vent shades installed. It is still worth me considering.

@WRYU400 the photo you posted will definitely benefit new people with no experiences with radios. While I am new to both GMRS and amateur radio, I use to run CB's on all of my vehicles I the past. Installing an antenna on the truck or side of a vehicle is always a compromise but those locations still work.

Some great suggestions thrown out here so far.

I really like the heli-tape and mag mount as far as the simple leave no trace theme goes that @SteveC7010 mentioned. If the roof is aluminum, and because I just love to over complicate simple things, one could place a magnet above the headliner to contain the mag mount on the roof.

I'll toss something out of left field, if only to keep the creative juices flowing.  Aftermarket/factory roof racks, in whole or part would give a possible mounting solution, especially if it could serve its intended purpose of carrying crap on the roof, in addition to a place to hang an antenna.