Brand New w/ no Equipment - Interested in family communication in emergencies etc

Tiercel

Question

Greetings, and thanks to the hard workers who maintain this forum.  I have founded and administered forums and I know the work it takes to get and keep a good forum going.

I Just got my license, and I am studying for my Ham license Test in about 4 weeks), but GMRS will probably be my go-to since I don't need another intense hobby.

I think I will start with a mobile that I can lug to the house as a base if I want.  I also want a couple of handheld units. I probably won't get them all at once just because I am sure I will learn as I go. I am not an intense prepper but I do want some SHTF communication plan for my family.  I will also use them for outings, fishing, etc.

I might add that cost is not a huge issue as long as I am not extravagant.  I want good practical, functional, equipment.

Any words of wisdom?

54 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

Another minor milestone.  I used CHIRP to configure the WTs.

There is one GMRS repeater in my county.  It is 1-3 miles from me on top of the tallest mountain ridge in the area.  I don't think the exact location is shown but from the elevation, I can narrow it down.

I programmed the repeater into both UV-9G HTs.  As soon as I did, it was like someone opened the squelch on every channel.  It is constantly static which is annoying.

I was able to switch to the repeater channel and transmit from one HT to the other, so I must have that set up correctly.  I am not sure if there are any specific rules for using a repeater or if is pretty informal like simplex.

I had to change the squelch settings for my UV-9G to better dial in this issue. I did this in Chirp. I'll include them down below. Your settings may vary depending on the sensitivity of your radio so you may need to just play around and see what works for you. I always save a back up of all my settings and programs so if I mess somthing up I can go back to what I had before. 

image.thumb.png.e98d6b748120c9a89c5c987856d9b403.png

10 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I had to change the squelch settings for my UV-9G to better dial in this issue. ... I always save a back up of all my settings and programs so if I mess somthing up I can go back to what I had before. 

Always a good reminder!
I retired as a Computer Security Manager with the DoJ.  If I fail to save backup files, then shame on me because I preached backups until I was blue in the face

8 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I had to change the squelch settings for my UV-9G to better dial in this issue. I did this in Chirp. I'll include them down below. Your settings may vary depending on the sensitivity of your radio...

image.thumb.png.e98d6b748120c9a89c5c987856d9b403.png

WRUU653,

I have no idea what I am even looking at on the image you shared.  As far as I can tell, I have a general squelch setting for the radio.

Your image shows an assortment of UHF VHF squelch settings numbered 1 - 8 each for VHF then again for UHF.  Then it shows values like 20, 70, 90, 120...  I have no idea what that is.

@Tiercel After you download from the radio in chirp select settings (in the top center of the page next to memories). Different radios will give you different options in the settings portion but this one is there for your Baofeng UV-9G. You’ll also find things like the ability to put a name on the radio screen. I don’t have it in front of me right now or I’d do another screen shot for you.
You may not need to mess with it but if you do it’s there and you can change the amount the squelch is set at. The 0-9 is the setting you can change from the front of the radio, the other numbers are the squelch setting for each of the 0-9. A little higher number and the squelch needs more signal to open. “0” is always the least which is open squelch so you hear all the noise. GMRS is the UHF settings. 
If you find you want to adjust your squelch settings I would start with what’s already programmed in the radio first. It may have come set at something like 6 so you likely have some room to play with before deciding to change it in chirp. I hope this helps. 

Well,  one more fun landmark.

I gave one HT to my son, who works over the mountain to our south.  This morning, he tried to transmit just over the top of the mountain, but it was garbled.  As soon as he went to the other side, however, we got each other loud and clear, so the repeater was doing its job.  He was clear the whole way into work about 15 miles away on the other side.

As a bonus, the guy who owns the repeater got on, and I talked with him for about an hour.  he is the V.P. of the local HAM club.  It was an interesting conversation, and I learned a couple of things.  

I ordered a  Midland MXTA26 MicroMobile® 6DB Gain Whip Antenna and a magnetic mount.  It should be here tomorrow.  it will be interesting to see how much it increases my simplex range.  I got an inexpensive mic as well.  My options on the mic were limited because my Baofeng is waterproof and has contacts instead of pins.  I could get a $14 Baofeng mic or $120 Motorola mic (3 X the cost of the HT), but hopefully, it will work fine.

53 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I can also confirm first hand that MXTA26 is a great antenna. 👍😎

As much as I would love to use a MXTA26 antenna, I just don't have the clearance between the top of my Ford Escape and the garage door.

For those like me that have a SUV or truck and Parkin a garage, keep the antenna height in mind.

I'm pretty happy that even with these HTs, I seem to have a pretty reliable 3-mile range in simplex mode without a mobile antenna.  Through this very close ridgetop repeater, I have reliable coverage for 40 miles.  I know it only takes a power failure to knock a repeater out but this is a better setup than I expected with lower-end HTs.  Honestly, what would $160.00 HT give me that I don't have with these $40 HTs?  It does not seem like you get a lot for the extra $140.  I could buy 3 more HTs for that much.

I do HATE supporting Chinese products but I don't think any HTs are actually made in the U.S.

5 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

As much as I would love to use a MXTA26 antenna, I just don't have the clearance between the top of my Ford Escape and the garage door.

I know a few of the pros and cons of a mag mount but with a mag mount, you can stick it to the bed of your truck when not looking for maximum distance or even front fender mount.  You could take it off when parking in the garage (of course we know how that goes).  One other advantage is removing an antenna when parking on the street probably makes your vehicle less of a break-in target, especially in some areas.

I am in withdrawal because I have to do an exchange on my UV-9G's (channel 15 issue).  While I am waiting on replacements, I think I might go ahead and buy a GMRS Mobile.  I will hold off on Ham equipment until I have a better idea of what I want.

With today's center consoles, how are mobiles typically mounted?  I don't see an easy under-dash option in my car or pickup.  I am going to go see what I can find on Youtube.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of GMRS mobile radios with removable control units. like there are for HAM radios. I am in the same situation looking for space in my 23 Ford Escape right now.

Midland does make a couple of models where the screen and all controls are built into the mic which will make installation easier as you can stack the main body just about anywhere. There are a couple of cheap Chinese GMRS radios that are made the same way. the CCR's are only 20 watts while you can get a 15 was or 50 watt from Midland.

There are also quite a few 20-25 watt GMRS mobiles that are pretty small too. So you do have options.

I am concentrating on getting a HAM radio installed in my Escape first then see what direction to go with a mobile GMRS radio. I will be using a 2m/70cm radio with removable control unit.

I currently have a Midland XTS500 as my GMRS base station and a Wouxun XS20G (20 watt) that I might see if I can find room for in the car after I get the HAM radio installed. Otherwise the XS20G will go in my SxS.

18 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Midland does make a couple of models where the screen and all controls are built into the mic which will make installation easier as you can stack the main body just about anywhere. There are a couple of cheap Chinese GMRS radios that are made the same way. the CCR's are only 20 watts while you can get a 15 was or 50 watt from Midland.

My gut feeling is that if I want a mobile, especially one, I hope I can easily also use as a base when I want, I  want a full 50 watts.  I did see a video of a guy installing a Midland Micro Mobile.  I just looked it up and it only has 15 watts.  Everything was on the mic, and he showed mounting options in the console, under the seat, under the dash, and opted for in the glove box.  That radio was VERY small, however. 

I am going to look at some mobile radio model options.

Midland makes the MXT 500 and the MXT575. Both radios are 50 watts max. The MXT575 has everything built into the mic. I am running the MXT500 as my base station and a friend has the MXT575 in his truck.

While I would really like to find the Wouxun 1000G in stock since it has a removable control, I'll probably go with the Midland MXT575 for my vehicle since I will have a 2m/70cm radio too.

I can get that Midland MXT575 thru Zorro.com for $360.  That includes tax and shipping 

I think I am probably going to do it unless someone has a reasonably fast response on why I should not.

If I could find a NON-China manufactured mobile with everything on the mic I would probably buy that instead.  I hate sending money to China

As far as buying from China, buying something manufactured to American specs and sold only by an American company means that most of your money stays here. That’s economically better than buying from a foreign company. 
There are no GMRS manufacturers in the USA, unfortunately. The only other way to make sure none of your money goes outside of the USA is to buy used equipment from a n American company. 

3 hours ago, Tiercel said:

I think I am probably going to do it unless someone has a reasonably fast response on why I should not.

I personally like the $99 - $109 Radioddity DB20-G a/k/a  AnyTone AT-779UV 20 watt mini mobile with everything on the mic, cigarette lighter plug and a cup mount (or here) and $20 mag mount antenna for easy in and out in my car and I have another one in my home. 

And I avoid all the Midland problems I read on this forum. 

21 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

I personally like the $99 - $109 Radioddity DB20-G a/k/a  AnyTone AT-779UV 20 watt mini mobile with everything on the mic, cigarette lighter plug and a cup mount and mag mount antenna for easy in and out in my car and I have another one in my home. 

But, but.....my masculinity would be threatened if my mobile did not have at least 40 watts. 😆

I watched a review of the Midland MXT575 by NotaRubicon, and while I am still leaning toward it, I am not happy that it does not monitor two channels at a time, and you cannot enter frequencies for receive-only scanning.  Its functions are very basic.  My Baofeng HT had more options.  I am going to look again to figure out options to mount a more typical mobile unit.

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

There are no GMRS manufacturers in the USA, unfortunately. The only other way to make sure none of your money goes outside of the USA is to buy used equipment from a n American company. 

Yep, but all other things being equal, I would much rather rather buy from Japan than China.  

16 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

But, but.....my masculinity would be threatened if my mobile did not have at least 40 watts. 😆

I watched a review of the Midland MXT575 by NotaRubicon, and while I am still leaning toward it, I am not happy that it does not monitor two channels at a time, and you cannot enter frequencies for receive-only scanning.  Its functions are very basic.  My Baofeng HT had more options.  I am going to look again to figure out options to mount a more typical mobile unit.

You can monitor two frequencies at a time and scan VHF/UHF (500 channels). 

I believe other threads here make the claim that 40 watts does not enable that many more “fars” over 20 watts; antennas being more significant. 

23 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

Yep, but all other things being equal, I would much rather rather buy from Japan than China.  

Garmin Rhino radios are made in Taiwan (at least mine was).

The Yaesu FT65 is a nice ham radio that can be opened up for GMRS (no, that’s not compliant).  It is made in Japan, although the first generation were made in China. Yaesu is a Japanese brand. 

There really won't be much difference between 20 watts and 50 watts in flat/open terrain or if you are top of a hill. 50 watts can make a difference if you are in the woods or trying to picket fence off of obstacles.

One thing I do not care about with the Midland radios is that you can't add a bunch of different repeater channels to them. You are limited to just a few where the FRS channels would normally be. The other thing is that Midland radios come from the factory set to narrow band and you have to go in and change each channel to wide band.

It is hard to buy anything that is not made in or uses components that are made in Chine now days. That includes everyone's computers, tablets and cell phones no matter which brand they are. I will buy CCR's from US based companies knowing that I can get support from them and most of the money stays here.

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

There really won't be much difference between 20 watts and 50 watts in flat/open terrain or if you are top of a hill. 50 watts can make a difference if you are in the woods or trying to picket fence off of obstacles.

One thing I do not care about with the Midland radios is that you can't add a bunch of different repeater channels to them. You are limited to just a few where the FRS channels would normally be. The other thing is that Midland radios come from the factory set to narrow band and you have to go in and change each channel to wide band.

It is hard to buy anything that is not made in or uses components that are made in Chine now days. That includes everyone's computers, tablets and cell phones no matter which brand they are. I will buy CCR's from US based companies knowing that I can get support from them and most of the money stays here.

The Midland MXT500 radios are now 128 channels and if you have the 30 channel MXT500 radios you can upload a new firmware version to increase the channel capacity.