"Monitor Function" KG-1000G Plus

duster54

Question

I don't really understand what the "monitor" function on the KG-1000 Plus is all about.
Reading the manual. it looks to be some sort of function to control a remote radio. I assume this has to do with the ability to use two of these radios as a repeater but not sure.
If this is the case, It seems as if this is an advanced feature that I have no interest in.
If the above is correct, then I'm kind of curious why something like this would be the default for the microphone PF1 key.

If this "monitor" function as Wouxun calls it, is something that most folks don't use. Then I would like to know, so I can reprogram the PF1 key to something useful.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this topic!

11 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, duster54 said:

The one thing that I wished it had was the ability to toggle on/off, Roger Beeps on a "per channel" basis

The BEST time to have it on is when you are using a repeater!
But, i am not aware of any Part 95 GMRS radio that allows you to select the Roger Beep by channel.

Yea, got it. That's exactly what it is after testing it out.
I don't know what the manual is talking about.

Advanced Operation Monitor

Monitor opens the microphone on a remote radio, forcing the radio to transmit for 15 seconds. No input is needed on the remote radio.

To activate the monitor function on a remote radio, perform the following steps. From the controlling radio, transmit a DTMF sequence matching the following: MCC + DA (DTMF monitor code) +DTMF ID. Using our example, the transmitted sequence would be: 654321 DA 123456. On the controlled radio, if the received MCC matches the SCC and the DTMF ID matches, the monitor function will be activated for 15 seconds.

Thanks Folks, I appreciate the help....

Alright I figured out what you were looking at in the manual. That is an advanced feature, part of the remote control capability to activate or monitor another radio that is part of your group. Must be set up ahead of time. It allows you to check on someone that is not responding by remotely waking up their radio (with a special code) or to open the mic so you can hear(monitor) what might be going on where they are. Like in an emergency or something.

Not the standard "monitor" feature. In fact I did not see that mentioned anywhere in the manual. Not surprising you were confused.

I use my 1000Gplus as my base station and am very happy with it. Really more radio than I need for my purpose. I have not needed more than five watts for my use around here. I live on a hill top in the San Juan Islands in NW Wash and use a Yagi antenna ten feet above the roof and I can pick up stuff all around the Puget sound. Most of my coms are on the island I live on to friends with HT's and five watts is plenty even out to 30 miles.  I have a main channel we use but like to scan as well so use the dual display feature often. Area A for local com channel and area B for scanning. Dedicated volume and speaker for each area is a nice touch.  The only thing I would like added would be a dimmer for the display and maybe color options. It's a little bright at times. Great radio so far! it has nice touches they really put a lot of thought into it for both mobile and desktop use like the angled and removable face plate. It even has rubber feet on the bottom so it doesn't slide around on the desk.

21 hours ago, WRWE456 said:

Alright I figured out what you were looking at in the manual. That is an advanced feature, part of the remote control capability to activate or monitor another radio that is part of your group. Must be set up ahead of time. It allows you to check on someone that is not responding by remotely waking up their radio (with a special code) or to open the mic so you can hear(monitor) what might be going on where they are. Like in an emergency or something.

Not the standard "monitor" feature. In fact I did not see that mentioned anywhere in the manual. Not surprising you were confused.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.  I agree, nothing in the manual about the monitor feature that turns squelch on/off.  Thanks much! I appreciate it!

17 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

The BEST time to have it on is when you are using a repeater!

Thanks R...
I agree with you.  However, I recently joined a repeater club in my area and on my first transmission on the repeater (radio check), I was very quickly and firmly informed to turn that roger beep OFF when using the repeater.  I know your feelings regarding this topic (I watched your YT video on why the Roger Beep is important). However, being a brand new member of the club, I thought it best to just go ahead and comply rather than p.o. the entire club membership from the outset. 🤣
The comment from the NCO was to just use roger beeps on simplex. But there is no way to do that without having roger beeps toggled to ON, radio wide.

Anyway, thanks again and thanks for all of the GREAT and informative YT videos!!