New User and New Radio

WRZE489

23 minutes ago, WRZE489 said:

I'm just getting started in the radio world.  I have a Baofeng UV5R to start.  Im watching YouTube videos, but would welcome any and all advice for getting started.  I'm trying to get onto some local repeaters, but I need permission, so Im waiting for that. 

Welcome! Specific questions are a key to specific answers, so go ahead, ask away!

Welcome.

Everyone was new at some point and most have similar questions about getting started. Try using the search feature for specific questions. There is a huge amount of info hiding in those archives and that is a popular radio for beginners.

Good luck!

18 hours ago, WRZE489 said:

I'm just getting started in the radio world.  I have a Baofeng UV5R to start.  Im watching YouTube videos, but would welcome any and all advice for getting started.  I'm trying to get onto some local repeaters, but I need permission, so Im waiting for that. 

Your call sign is similar to mine.  Mind if I ask what is your general local area?  I have the 8 watt version of that radio and am also new. 

Things that have been helpful to me are the programming cable and CHIRP software.  I just got a NA-771G antenna, and it made an unexpected difference for a ~$20 item.  If you want one, get one from an online radio store like buytwowayradios not Amazon.  That way you know it is not a counterfeit. Also, if communicating with someone using an even cheaper radio like a Midland GTX1000 type, be aware they might be only narrow band.  If you set your radio to the same, it helps a lot in making the communications clear, especially if you are on the fringe of range.

Hope that you are having as much fun as I am figuring this stuff out.

14 minutes ago, WRZD706 said:

Your call sign is similar to mine.  Mind if I ask what is your general local area?  I have the 8 watt version of that radio and am also new. 

Things that have been helpful to me are the programming cable and CHIRP software.  I just got a NA-771G antenna, and it made an unexpected difference for a ~$20 item.  If you want one, get one from an online radio store like buytwowayradios not Amazon.  That way you know it is not a counterfeit. Also, if communicating with someone using an even cheaper radio like a Midland GTX1000 type, be aware they might be only narrow band.  If you set your radio to the same, it helps a lot in making the communications clear, especially if you are on the fringe of range.

Hope that you are having as much fun as I am figuring this stuff out.

Call signs for GMRS are issued sequentially, so for instance your license (WRZD706) is located in Michigan, but the very next one issued, WRZD707, is located in Kentucky.  It could just as easily be Alaska or Hawaii. Unlike the zone number in a ham call sign, nothing in the GMRS call sign means anything special.

You can look up GMRS licenses here:

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchGmrs.jsp