What would have to happen for GMRS to include APRS?

fremont

Question

Lots of off-grid outdoor enthusiast GMRS users who would benefit from APRS (e.g., knowing the location of their party, allowing SAR to find them). I personally think APRS (or a variant) finds its way into GMRS.
That is what is currently available. With some of the radios. Btech pro, garmin reach.

Albeit simplex only.

I can't see gmrs users spending the umpteen money on the digipeater or server infrastructure part of it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Looks like Midland is pushing for something like aprs, well bit by bit. Really right now, more like a mobile unit vs the currently approved hts.

Why more then one beacon in a 30 second time frame? Is the only question I have.

From a reddit thread (contains Midlands pettition.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gmrs/s/aaCXcecUYt

>To Amend the Commission’s GMRS Corporation Rules to Allow Non-Handheld Radios that Utilize a Non-Integrated Antenna to Automatically Transmit Digital Data and Digital Voice Data More than Once within a 30-second period, and to Operate at 50 Watts.

Sounds like it's saying they want mobile units, with removable antennas and up to 50W (all already legal) to be able to do digital data more often than is currently allowed AND to be able to use digital voice. Possibly both at the same time.
Best comment is... "gmrs needs to allocate one channel to ft8"

40 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Looks like Midland is pushing for something like aprs, well bit by bit. Really right now, more like a mobile unit vs the currently approved hts.

Why more then one beacon in a 30 second time frame? Is the only question I have.

From a reddit thread (contains Midlands pettition.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gmrs/s/aaCXcecUYt

>To Amend the Commission’s GMRS Corporation Rules to Allow Non-Handheld Radios that Utilize a Non-Integrated Antenna to Automatically Transmit Digital Data and Digital Voice Data More than Once within a 30-second period, and to Operate at 50 Watts.

Sounds like it's saying they want mobile units, with removable antennas and up to 50W (all already legal) to be able to do digital data more often than is currently allowed AND to be able to use digital voice. Possibly both at the same time.
Best comment is... "gmrs needs to allocate one channel to ft8"

That also removes the limitation that stations which transmit digitally have fixed antennas.

But the excerpt you posted doesn’t mention the prohibition against using a repeater, which I find odd.

16 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

I have looked into the Wouxun KG-Q10G with its built in GPS system. And from what I read, everyone has to be using a KG-Q10G in order to receive the GPS data from others. I have not looked into the GMRS Pro to see if it is the same way.

The original was the Garmin Rhino which exchanges GPS data between handhelds and then displays your friends’ locations on a very nice topo map.  AFAIK it was entirely proprietary also. They are still very nice radios and one of the few not manufactured in the PRC.

12 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

The original was the Garmin Rhino which exchanges GPS data between handhelds and then displays your friends’ locations on a very nice topo map.  AFAIK it was entirely proprietary also. They are still very nice radios and one of the few not manufactured in the PRC.

It would be nice to have one set standard with GPS. It is the same with digital stuff on amateur radios, too many different systems that don't work together.

If I have learned anything from my few months observing the GMRS hobby before diving in, it is that things are not set in stone. Set in hardening concrete, perhaps. I like metaphors.

It was mentioned that ham radio favors open source while gmrs is embedded in the proprietary, corporate realm. That is not good, however, I have noticed one thing...

These companies pay attention to their "Influencers" - I had always gotten the wrong opinion about influencers. They are a double edged blade, and one we can use too. What influences the consumer, also influences the manufacturer. I have seen it happen WITHIN the GMRS realm.

The FCC also will bend its ear towards what gets determined to be the best course for a specific service/spectrum, etc. If I have been informed correctly, we have already seen brief bursts of data being allowed on GMRS. We saw it happen (FCC changing its position w rules) with the CB licensing situation back when.

28 minutes ago, DominoDog said:

These companies pay attention to their "Influencers" - I had always gotten the wrong opinion about influencers. They are a double edged blade, and one we can use too.

Watch out for those GMRS influencers.. I have heard that they are all bought & paid-for, and are nothing more than puppets for all of the CCR, commie, cheap-Chinese radio manufactures and they only say what their commie slave-masters tell them to say.

I know this must be true because 100% of "some people" that claim this all memorized a 35-question multiple-choice test.

18 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Watch out for those GMRS influencers.. I have heard that they are all bought & paid-for, and are nothing more than puppets for all of the CCR, commie, cheap-Chinese radio manufactures and they only say what their commie slave-masters tell them to say.

I know this must be true because 100% of "some people" that claim this all memorized a 35-question multiple-choice test.

Those BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!! 🤣

It has to be an interesting position to find ones self in. But yeah, I noticed it, when I was watching whichever video it was. I said to myself, this guy has got a radio company's ear. It's really interesting, to me, to see at least an indirect influence on a hobby's market happen like that.

You know what they say about having great power.

It exacts a heavy toll.... wait, no... wrong Marvel movie...sorry