REPEATERS

WRPJ403

13 minutes ago, kidphc said:

One way is to listen for a repeater tail after you unkey.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

You'll hear a "kerchunk".

10 minutes ago, WRYU400 said:

You will hear a courtesy tone, squelch tail and then the repeater should identify (in Morse code).
Sometimes you will hear the repeater owner tell you to identify and stop kerchunking their repeater.

Sent using Tapatalk

All of those are optional, or, in the case of the the repeater ID, dependent on timing. 
The only way to be sure is to have someone else monitoring the repeater when you transmit. 

On 11/1/2023 at 9:36 AM, Sshannon said:

Simply say: “Can anyone hear me? WRPJ403”. If someone is listening they might respond.

(This is a question as much as a statement since I am terribly new)

... but what you say @Sshannon was my understanding.  "Kerchunks" aside, If you are transmitting to a repeater TX side, and someone on the RX side can actually hear you, then you are hitting it.  The same would be true if you had a second HT in the house (on RX chan) and could hear yourself on it.  True?

46 minutes ago, WRZE000 said:

(This is a question as much as a statement since I am terribly new)

... but what you say @Sshannon was my understanding.  "Kerchunks" aside, If you are transmitting to a repeater TX side, and someone on the RX side can actually hear you, then you are hitting it.  The same would be true if you had a second HT in the house (on RX chan) and could hear yourself on it.  True?

True, except that sometimes having a second HT in the house fails because the transmission from the first HT is orders of magnitude higher in power than the return signal from the repeater and the second HT is temporarily deafened, which is called “de-sensing.”

But if you get someone to take that other HT some slight distance away it would work. 

And I want to point out that de-sensing isn’t a sure thing. My Yaesu and Alinco radios can be right on the same table and work fine with one transmitting to the repeater and the other receiving from the repeater. So try it. There’s nothing to lose.