What is the offset for on my Beofeng GM 15?

WRZF693

Question

Hi guys and gals.. 

I have a question or two about offset? 

First, what it is and what is it used for? 

Do I need to manually set it? I tried changing it and I just the very irritating "Cancel " message when I hit the menu to confirm as you would normally working with the menu items. It just says cancel and doesn't save any value I put in there manually with the keypad on the radio. 

My thinking was that the offset was the difference between the transmit and receiving frequencies with a repeater and had to be manually entered? Is this totally wrong as I'm sure it is? 

The manual sucks. It says how to edit the offset but doesn't explain what to do manually if it cancels on you.. I tried doing exactly what the manual said which was press menu, then enter the number to get to the offset menu which is like 31 and then enter the offset and then press menu again. Did not work?  Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? 

Thanks so much in advance.. Nice forum.. 
Tim

7 answers to this question

@WRZF693 I'm not familiar with the GM-15 but yes, offset is the difference in TX and RX. For GMRS it is always +5MHZ and in most if not all GMRS radios will already be set on the repeater channels. All you have to do is enter the appropriate tone for the repeater.

Also, try to stay focused on one thread. I answered some of your questions on a different thread already.

18 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

@WRZF693

Sorry about the thread thing.. I thought maybe I should ask in a different thread.. 
Tim

-----------------------------------------

I'm not familiar with the GM-15 but yes, offset is the difference in TX and RX. For GMRS it is always +5MHZ and in most if not all GMRS radios will already be set on the repeater channels. All you have to do is enter the appropriate tone for the repeater.

Also, try to stay focused on one thread. I answered some of your questions on a different thread already.

The GM15 is a "GMRS" radio, correct? If that is the case then it already has 8 channels (23-30) with the offset built in.  Just find the channel that corresponds to the frequency of the repeater and enter & save your TX tone. You wont need to set or worry about the offset. To use additional repeaters you will have to create a "DIY" repeater channel.  You cannot use a repeater directly or in VFO mode - the only way is to create and save the repeater info as a new channel or use one of the preset (ch 22-30) channels.

If my memory is failing me and the GM15 is not a "GMRS Radio", then please just disregard everything I've said.