What is the best antenna and brand for HT GRMS radio? Beufong GM15. ?

WRZF693

Question

13 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, WRZF693 said:

Hey everyone.  

What is the best radio ( Beufong GM15 ) replacement antenna? Brand and size, etc? Any recommendations? 

I don't know about best but a lot of people (myself included) like the Nagoya NA-771G. It's a bit long though (about 15") so I use the NA-701G mostly (about 5.5").

I only have Wouxun GMRS HTs now, but I have the Nagoya NA-771G and a NA-701G. I don't find that the shorter 701G adds anything extra to my radios but I like that it is more flexible than the OEM antenna. The longer 771G may be a slight improvement over the OEM in receiving signals on the fringe but not a lot in my experience. I have tried several others that I don't have any longer and don't remember the brands. Seems like I normally end up just using the antenna that came on the radios. But again, different brand radios than what you are asking about so YMMV.

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

In the LMR world we use the antenna that was designed for the radio. Its all part of the design. Changing it may result in loss of performance. Just my experience. 

With the exception of some built in antennas such as the Garmin Rhinos, none of the antennas used with commercial GMRS radios are “designed for the radio.”  They’re standard off-the-shelf items picked for a combination of cost and performance.  

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

With the exception of some built in antennas such as the Garmin Rhinos, none of the antennas used with commercial GMRS radios are “designed for the radio.”  They’re standard off-the-shelf items picked for a combination of cost and performance.  

I don't like disagreeing with you, but your statement is both true and false. Radio engineers, at least the ones I have met, do test stock antennas with their designs and write specifications for the "rubber ducky" that provides the best match. Many times this results in one that has to be manufactured to specifications that existing units don't meet. Why else would LMR radios specify different antennas for specific radios operating in the same band? One size doesn't fit all.

18 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

I don't like disagreeing with you, but your statement is both true and false. Radio engineers, at least the ones I have met, do test stock antennas with their designs and write specifications for the "rubber ducky" that provides the best match. Many times this results in one that has to be manufactured to specifications that existing units don't meet. Why else would LMR radios specify different antennas for specific radios operating in the same band? One size doesn't fit all.

But those aren’t GMRS radios where cost is king.

The question as stated in the title "What is the best antenna and brand for HT GMRS radio?" So any references to non GMRS radios really don't apply to the question. In support of @Sshannon's statement the cheap GMRS radios like the Baofeng UV-9G come with duel band antennas. They are not specifically tuned for GMRS. Some of my less cheap (as far as GMRS radios are concerned) Wouxun radios came with antennas that are not duel band and at least are stated to be properly set for GMRS frequencies. The Nagoya NA-701G and the NA-771G are better than a stock Baofeng in my experience, the NA-771G may be just sightly better than the stock Wouxun and as mentioned by @WRHS218 I like the flexibility of the NA-701G over the stock rubber ducky. 

1 hour ago, WRZF693 said:

Thanks everyone.. I'm afraid that I'll buy a fake if I do so on Amazon.. I'm trying to figure out now where to buy one! Anyone have any recommendations? 
Thanks so much in advance. 

Tim

It just so happens that the main site (www.mygmrs.com) has a shopping portal:  https://shop.mygmrs.com

Other purveyors are:

https://www.radioddity.com

https://baofengtech.com/shop/?swoof=1&pa_user=gmrs&pa_product-type=radio

But as long as you pay attention to which store you’re buying from on Amazon, you should be fine.  I buy lots of stuff from Amazon and I very seldom need to return anything but when I do it’s very simple.  I usually only buy things that are shipped from Amazon, rather than a storefront I’ve never heard of.

2 hours ago, WRZF693 said:

Thanks everyone.. I'm afraid that I'll buy a fake if I do so on Amazon.. I'm trying to figure out now where to buy one! Anyone have any recommendations? 

Tim

you can click on the links in my first post to get from Buy Two Radios, they were better price than Amazon

On 11/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, WRZF693 said:

Tim

I bought a Nagoya folding whip ( NA-F30G) for my Baofeng UV-5R GMRS at Amazon and got the original in the original packaging.  The folding whip is easy to deal with in the vehicle and transmits OK when folded. I wanted to see if it would improve my reception at my house, which is in a RF black hole! The antenna is 30-inches long unfolded and not for walking around or using in high wind when unfolded because it is very flexible and folds easily.

I've gotten used to that and got a modest 20-30 percent or so in reception which is great quite a difference in clarity. I have two UV-5Rs and had them on the same table out in the patio - that's how I tested it. I can hit the clearest repeater 24 miles from my house but its scratchy at best. Nine miles away it it hits it well.

Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ59WT5D?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Thanks everyone.. 
My GM 15 Beufeng came with an Abree 717 I think it is, but it looks suspiciously like the Ngoya, or whatever they are called. It works reasonably well..  I was able to talk to my buddy about 4.3 miles away thru some buildings and woods in the way partially and even though there was static I could hear him loud and clear and he had the small antenna and said I was coming thru very well! 
Tim