Anyone use SSB CB radio? If so, what are your experiences and what type of radio?

WRZF693

Question

Has anyone used a ssb CB radio? I ask because it's in the HF ham range almost and I'm wondering how far people are able to talk and what kind of radio they are using? It would seem this would be the channels to use on a CB if you wanted to talk many farz as Randy says on his channel.. hehehe.. 

Anyone here have a HAM license and use the HF frequencies? It looks like that would be the emergency radio to have.. Especially if you knew Morse code maybe.. I have thought about trying to learn it now that I'm at the tender age of retirement. Just two months ago actually! I see some expensive radios for field use with HAM HF bands.. that would be very cool to have though! 

Thanks everyone.. 

3 answers to this question

1 minute ago, WRZF693 said:

Has anyone used a ssb CB radio? I ask because it's in the HF ham range almost and I'm wondering how far people are able to talk and what kind of radio they are using? It would seem this would be the channels to use on a CB if you wanted to talk many farz as Randy says on his channel.. hehehe.. 

Anyone here have a HAM license and use the HF frequencies? It looks like that would be the emergency radio to have.. Especially if you knew Morse code maybe.. I have thought about trying to learn it now that I'm at the tender age of retirement. Just two months ago actually! I see some expensive radios for field use with HAM HF bands.. that would be very cool to have though! 

Thanks everyone.. 

I've never used CB SSB but it's characteristics are similar to 10 meters. I and many others here are licensed for amateur radio and do HF. In my opinion it's not great for emergencies, because it's tricky to communicate locally. CW is no longer required for licensing, so to me it's more of a novelty and Ive never learned it. There's a large spectrum of amateur HF equipment ranging from the hundreds to well into the thousands of dollars. Like they say, ham is an acronym for "had alotta money".

Ham radios aren't the great emergency radios seen on TV and in movies, just like it's unlikely to be able to shoot from the hip and kill all your enemies with one shot everytime. Propagation varies from various parts of the 11 year susnspot cycle to another, seasonally winter/summer, day to night and even minute to minute.  The unpredictiblity is what makes it interesting, challenging and makes it into sport. 

Like WRQC527 says, it's tricky (but fun).