Radio question

Kdcstks

I was going to castigate you for not just looking on the Retevis sales page or online user-manual to get the answer to this question, but it turns out that all they say is "GMRS" and it would be very unusual for a radio like this to not also be able to receive 2M, 70CM and more...
So now I want to know the answer too!

PS: Welcome to the exciting and dynamic world of radio.. If people make fun of you here its because they love you. 

6 hours ago, Kdcstks said:

Does anyone one know if you can install 2 meter frequencies for scanning in the retrevis ra 87 ? And does it have weather channels 

I just spent some time looking for answers to your questions on various videos and review sites as well, including the radio manual. I couldn't fine any evidence that it can receive any frequencies other than GMRS. That's not to say it can't, but I'll be darned if I can find a shred of info. That said, I would assume it cannot unless you hear otherwise from a trusted source. Like Retevis.

16 minutes ago, Kdcstks said:

I agree can’t even get weather 

To be fair, NOAA weather channels are VHF, in the vicinity of 162 Mhz. Not all radios are designed to be that wide-banded on receive. It looks like the designers of this radio mayhaps wanted to focus on making a good GMRS radio instead of a Swiss Army radio.

2 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

To be fair, NOAA weather channels are VHF, in the vicinity of 162 Mhz. Not all radios are designed to be that wide-banded on receive. It looks like the designers of this radio mayhaps wanted to focus on making a good GMRS radio instead of a Swiss Army radio.

Since most gmrs gear is really just repurposed from another service with some tweaks for certification, it's going to depend on the limitations of the base hardware. Look at wouxun...kg805g being based on a single band radio, while the kg1000g receives 10., 6m, 2m, and 70cm in addition to gmrs (being based on the quad band uv980p)

If you need VHF scanning for MURS, HAM (AKA Amateur Radio), and the local skool corp maintenance garage...plus other handy UHF frequencies...

I recommend and personally endorse and use the Radioddity GM-30

It is on Black Friday Special on the AMA-ZON for less than THIRTY clams. 

GMRS, repeater ready just add tones, codes, etc...receives NOAA weather (or WX as we radio know-it-alls call it), receives the FM broadcast band so you can listen to Bob and Tom or Dave Ramsey or whatever commie left-wing pinko radio show you personally enjoy, it can be programmed (buy the programming cable and download the free computer programming software (CPS to those that know)) to copy MURS, HAM, maybe your local high school, Walmart, Piggly Wiggly, or local Chinese Buffet.

It comes with a battery, an antenna (buy the RD332 antenna for more range and more money), suggestive wrist strap, ear piece with external mic, and a fully written in English (not Engrish) how to operations manual.