Does anyone make a solar charger for mobile radios that doesn't cost the national debt and is lightweight and portable?

WRZF693

Question

Does anyone know of a solar charger and battery for instance for a mobile GRMS radio to use in the field for instance? I know Midland for awhile advertised a portable GRMS radio that I think was 15 watts, but I see it's been discontinued of course before I received my license.  So, I'd like to be able to take a small mobile radio in the field with a back pack and mobile antenna and use a battery of some type that doesn't weigh so much you get a hernia because as they say in the Army ounces become pounds when you're on foot. I would use it for camping as well as it would make a great way to contact others in the boonies!  Just wondering if there is such a critter ? 
Thanks in advance.. 
Tim

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRZF693 said:

Does anyone know of a solar charger

Again these aren't cheap. Petty much everything about going portable with solar isn't going to be cheap. Anyway these are good solar charge controllers. You can get them for various battery chemistries. They also do charge controllers with custom voltages.

https://sunforgellc.com/genasun/#gen_product_row

46 minutes ago, WRZF693 said:

Does anyone know of a solar charger and battery for instance for a mobile GRMS radio to use in the field for instance? I know Midland for awhile advertised a portable GRMS radio that I think was 15 watts, but I see it's been discontinued of course before I received my license.  So, I'd like to be able to take a small mobile radio in the field with a back pack and mobile antenna and use a battery of some type that doesn't weigh so much you get a hernia because as they say in the Army ounces become pounds when you're on foot. I would use it for camping as well as it would make a great way to contact others in the boonies!  Just wondering if there is such a critter ? 
Thanks in advance.. 
Tim

Backpacking with enough batteries to run a 15-watt radio isn't necessarily going to be lightweight. There are batteries called Lithium Iron Phospate that are very light compared to lead acid batteries, (around 3 pounds for a 12 Ah battery) but they are rather expensive, (about $125 for decent Bioenno ones) and you can get folding solar panels that may fit in a backpack, but again, they can be expensive, and maybe not lightweight. I tossed in a couple of links below so you can see what I'm talking about. I also threw in a link to a ham radio guy who does a lot of off-grid operating with solar and batteries. His content may be of some interest to you as well.

https://powerwerx.com/bioenno-blf-1212a-12v-12ah-lithium-iron-pvc?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6vaqBhCbARIsACF9M6kk-nsK237NOX49JpP8CA--xoHNvAGrN9du6-N6nI_zdbj13rw7mCgaAk2fEALw_wcB

https://energetechsolar.com/solar-panel-kit-120-watts-12v-18v-max-folding

https://oh8stn.org/

I use a Jackery 300 for dry camping and SAR stuff. So far it has been ideal for this type of situation. I did not get the "Jackery" panel but used a basic Solar panel I had laying around. Just put correct end on it. When we travel from camp site I charge in Jeep but when sitting at site use the solar panel. For years I made my own battery packs but with the new stuff on the market it costs me just as much to build it. Time is money for me now so its easier to buy done. 

For backpacking/SAR stuff I just use a portable with a spare battery. I used to carry my AA battery adapter for my APX but its heavier than a spare battery or 2. I can get 12 hours on a charged battery so normally its more than adequate. 

For my portable HAM radio operations, like sitting in the woods doing what they call Parks on the Air, I use a 12 AH LiFEPO4 battery.  Works for hours and hours, and then I charge it when I get home. 

LiFePO4 is the only way to go.  Light weight, 90-95% usable capacity. 

I don't have a solar charger for it.  

Bioenno is a good brand.  Thousands of satisfied customers but over priced.  But to each his own.  I use Miady and Expert Power brand LiFePO4 batteries.  They last for years and years.  Juts make sure your charger is rated for LiFePO4 charging.  Those batteries have a BMS (Battery Management System) that communicates with a smart charger so the thing doesn't burst into flames, or overcharges. 

23 hours ago, Lscott said:

Again these aren't cheap. Petty much everything about going portable with solar isn't going to be cheap. Anyway these are good solar charge controllers. You can get them for various battery chemistries. They also do charge controllers with custom voltages.

https://sunforgellc.com/genasun/#gen_product_row

Thanks man.. Appreciate it.. 

22 hours ago, gortex2 said:

I use a Jackery 300 for dry camping and SAR stuff. So far it has been ideal for this type of situation. I did not get the "Jackery" panel but used a basic Solar panel I had laying around. Just put correct end on it. When we travel from camp site I charge in Jeep but when sitting at site use the solar panel. For years I made my own battery packs but with the new stuff on the market it costs me just as much to build it. Time is money for me now so its easier to buy done. 

For backpacking/SAR stuff I just use a portable with a spare battery. I used to carry my AA battery adapter for my APX but its heavier than a spare battery or 2. I can get 12 hours on a charged battery so normally its more than adequate. 

Thanks.. I might just carry a battery.. Appreciate it.. Very interesting to see what everyone's solution is.. 
Appreciate it. 

18 hours ago, JoCoBrian said:

For my portable HAM radio operations, like sitting in the woods doing what they call Parks on the Air, I use a 12 AH LiFEPO4 battery.  Works for hours and hours, and then I charge it when I get home. 

LiFePO4 is the only way to go.  Light weight, 90-95% usable capacity. 

I don't have a solar charger for it.  

Bioenno is a good brand.  Thousands of satisfied customers but over priced.  But to each his own.  I use Miady and Expert Power brand LiFePO4 batteries.  They last for years and years.  Juts make sure your charger is rated for LiFePO4 charging.  Those batteries have a BMS (Battery Management System) that communicates with a smart charger so the thing doesn't burst into flames, or overcharges. 

Thank you my fellow Hoosier! Appreciate it very much.. Interesting.. 

2 hours ago, WRZF693 said:

Thank you. I'll check it out now! Appreciate it. 

Tim

It has sold out:

https://www.radioddity.com/collections/business-radios-mobile-radios/products/radioddity-db20g

but they also have this model, the db25g. I don’t have experience with it but others here do:

https://www.radioddity.com/collections/business-radios-mobile-radios/products/radioddity-db25g

I've been using solar panels and batteries for a long time, but nothing specific for any particular radio.  I just got another panel (20W) with charge controller for $49.  The charge controller only has led lights and not a voltage readout.  I use my multimeter to check voltage before charging.  The charge controller is unfortunately allowing the battery to be overcharged a bit by my standard (e.g., 12.82-84 compared to what I've read is full, 12.7).  But that's not a big issue - I've used  my other large panel without a charge controller for 10 years, just guessing at charging time needed.

What I do now is wait until the next morning for the voltage to settle back down.  But that means I can't charge more than what I estimate is enough time.  Intermittent clouds or not keeping the panel moved enough to keep it in the sun both make it hard to estimate charging time.  I need a way to check if a battery is fully charged right after charging on the panel. I suppose a way of measuring amps may work but my understanding is amps have to measured under load.  Also in the past I tended to blow fuses more often when checking amps.   I'm thinking maybe a work light or a fan could be used as the load to check amps.  If somebody knows a better way, preferably something relatively foolproof, I'd appreciate a tip.