wouxan Kg 1000g sound amplification?

frankinshine

Question

i have had a kg1000g for around two years now and all of a sudden, the sound on my local channels got staticky ? 

i have it set up as a base with a power supply and have it on my desk. 

i use it to monitor mostly and occasionally reach out on it for short periods.  

i  normally keep the volume at arounds 4 to 6 and you could hear it crystal clear and very loud and now i have to turn it up to 

20 or so and it is very staticky, 

is there a sound card or circuit that is not working properly?  i am wondering if it is a setting does it need service?   

i checked squelch and obvious things but need advice.

i was wondering if anyone else had same problems and how did you resolve it?

thanks in advance 

wrpv210  frank

4 answers to this question

13 hours ago, frankinshine said:

i have had a kg1000g for around two years now and all of a sudden, the sound on my local channels got staticky ? 

i have it set up as a base with a power supply and have it on my desk. 

i use it to monitor mostly and occasionally reach out on it for short periods.  

i  normally keep the volume at arounds 4 to 6 and you could hear it crystal clear and very loud and now i have to turn it up to 

20 or so and it is very staticky, 

is there a sound card or circuit that is not working properly?  i am wondering if it is a setting does it need service?   

i checked squelch and obvious things but need advice.

i was wondering if anyone else had same problems and how did you resolve it?

thanks in advance 

wrpv210  frank

Connect the radio to a fully charged battery and see if the static goes away when you turn up the volume. If it does, reconnect the radio to the power supply and see if the static reappears and if it does, the noise is caused by the power supply.

3 hours ago, nokones said:

Connect the radio to a fully charged battery and see if the static goes away when you turn up the volume. If it does, reconnect the radio to the power supply and see if the static reappears and if it does, the noise is caused by the power supply.

i bought the power supply when i did the radio and it was working,  do they fail?  sorry i am new at these.

i was wondering if something chewed on my antenna co ax would that do it?   swr is still at 1.2 with fifty feet of co ax.

radio is putting out 35 watts still.  

i am putting a different radio on it to see if it does the same thing.

THANK YOIU

Frank

wrpv210

32 minutes ago, frankinshine said:

i bought the power supply when i did the radio and it was working,  do they fail?  sorry i am new at these.

i was wondering if something chewed on my antenna co ax would that do it?   swr is still at 1.2 with fifty feet of co ax.

THANK YOIU

Frank

wrpv210

Yes, they can fail. 
They can also have components that fail resulting in lots of electrical noise. That’s true of either the power supply or the radio. 
You could also have a speaker that starts sounding terrible. Plugging in headphones can rule that out. 
Or something in your house may be creating noise. LED Christmas lights are a prime example. Something hams will do is run the radio from a battery to eliminate external noise sources. We even go so far as to turn off the circuit breakers to the house one by one to determine what circuit is causing noise. 
The radio is probably least likely to generate the noise. Figure out a logical order to eliminate potential problems until you find the actual problem. Don’t just randomly check stuff. 
I would check the power supply first, then the house circuits. 

On 11/26/2023 at 11:48 AM, frankinshine said:

THANK YOIU

Frank

wrpv210

i put a midland radio on the same power supply and still had a little static but the signals coming in were good.  some signals on the wouxan were showing but no audible signal was coming in.