Reverse cross-patch?

WRYF747

Generally speaking, the FCC frowns on re-broadcasting from one service to another. If I understand your question, you would just want to hear what's going on with a GMRS group in a listen only mode? No ability to talk back? If so, then I'd say it would depend on what particular rules govern the service you are trying to patch into.

I can tell you that most trunking system administrators would frown on anything that automatically keys up on the system & uses up airtime just from an Erlang vs. Grade of Service standpoint.

15 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

Generally speaking, the FCC frowns on re-broadcasting from one service to another. If I understand your question, you would just want to hear what's going on with a GMRS group in a listen only mode? No ability to talk back? If so, then I'd say it would depend on what particular rules govern the service you are trying to patch into.

I can tell you that most trunking system administrators would frown on anything that automatically keys up on the system & uses up airtime just from an Erlang vs. Grade of Service standpoint.

Well, not exactly. I'd like to have the ability to talk to my friends on the system while having it on a more private repeater.

Also, this would belong to my system, not patched onto someone else.

38 minutes ago, WRYF747 said:

Also, this would belong to my system, not patched onto someone else.

I’m not sure if I follow.  I’m not going to speculate about the legality without fully understanding what you’re describing.

It sounds like you want your friends to use GMRS handheld or mobile radios to talk to an GMRS repeater which is patched to another, more private system of some sort. What is that “more private system?”

A diagram would be helpful. 

If I follow what you're asking, you would have radio users on one system (non-GMRS) with the ability to generate traffic on a GMRS repeater. It's not going to be legal.

If you end up relaying their voice traffic from this 'private' system over to an analog GMRS repeater, I also question how 'private' the system would remain. You would be basically be wiretapping your own private system, and then broadcasting the audio over an open analog channel.