Talking on a repeater

WRZX542

Question

Hello everyone, I am new here and new to GMRS. I got my license recently and have an open repeater near me. I purchased 2 radioddity db 20g radios and programmed the repeater channels with correct ctc code, problem is every time I attempt to talk on the repeater the only thing that is received by the other radio is some static and the repeater "code" after, no voice relay. I have the radios programmed with the correct frequency and ctc. Sorry, I am a noob so I don't know the technical terms well yet. The repeater does transmit a voice identifier sometimes and that does come through on the radio.

P.S. I do know that if the radios are close together this can happen. In my case the radios have been as much as 2 miles apart. thank you for any help.

10 answers to this question

If you are sure both radios are programmed correctly I would remove the RX code for both radios first. Can you hear any other repeater traffic on either radio? Do you get the same results when transmitting from both radios to the repeater? If you know you are in range of the repeater and everything else looks good I would look at the antenna and coax making sure the connections are tight and there are no crimped or mashed spots on both installations.

10 minutes ago, WRZX542 said:

No issues talking simplex. Just don't get good range due to topography, maybe about 2 miles. Alot of hills, rock and forested area.

I would suggest contacting the repeater owner to see if there’s anything they can think of, perhaps an additional level of access codes.  I admit that’s unlikely, but I don’t know what else to try.

I did try removing the code on both radios on the receive side. No other repeater traffic, small area, so not sure how much there would be. But, I do hear the repeater's voice identifier and also get the "squawk code" on both radios from the repeater both when I transmit and on the receive side. I do get the same results on both radios. I have used both a Midland antenna and a Nagoya ut-72g with same results. Before the db-20g's, I had 2 Midland MXT 115's. Thought those may have been the problem and why I bought the DB-20g's. The repeater is about 1 mile from my house. This is why I am so stumped.

42 minutes ago, WRZX542 said:

I did try removing the code on both radios on the receive side. No other repeater traffic, small area, so not sure how much there would be. But, I do hear the repeater's voice identifier and also get the "squawk code" on both radios from the repeater both when I transmit and on the receive side. I do get the same results on both radios. I have used both a Midland antenna and a Nagoya ut-72g with same results. Before the db-20g's, I had 2 Midland MXT 115's. Thought those may have been the problem and why I bought the DB-20g's. The repeater is about 1 mile from my house. This is why I am so stumped.

You have covered everything I would have tried. If the problem was reproduced with four radios and two different antennas it my be a repeater issue. Hopefully someone on the forum will have a better idea of how to figure this out. Sorry I couldn't help.

If you do not get the "squelch tail beep" after you release the PTT button the repeater isn't getting your signal so you'll have to get closer or, find a more open line of sight to the repeater.

Just a guess.