Base station UPS?

Sab02r

The thread on a "grid-down" cross-country communication relay got me thinking about methods of powering a base station during a power outage.  Is anyone running a UPS or other battery, power station, or solar generator for their comms gear, such as this Pecron E1500LFP?

PECRON E1500LFP Expandable Power Station 2200W 1536Wh

I am not hyping this or any particular unit, just wondering if others are using something like this for their base station...plus I have long been thinking about getting a solar gen for the RV that could also run the fridge or freezer temporarily during a power outage.

I have a 35 Ah AGM battery powering my base station (Amateur HF/VHF/UHF and GMRS) that sits on a 4 amp battery charger/maintainer 24/7. I have a pair of solar panels worth about 15 watts that will keep it charged if needed. All of the components came from Harbor Freight. 

I built my own for portable use.  It has 2, 20ah Lifepo4 batteries.  I can charged by using a regular lifepo4 charger, or by solar.  It has Powerpole connectors as well a fast charge usb ports and lastly a cigarette lighter port.  I use the cigarette lighter port to run a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter.  Cool project.  Works really well.  I also have a battery bank in the garage by the shack which are connected to a 2000 watt inverter to be able to run the shack for a while if needed.  Still saving for a Generac.

The easier way, depending on your repeater is to directly use batteries to power the repeater.  Most repeaters are going to have a 12 or 24 volt power supply and many of them have a specific battery input for backup power.

Since I don't know what specific repeater you are running, I can't give a specific answer to this.

With a high power (100 watt) MTR2000 the power input is 24 volts and it's a connector right on the back of the repeater.  It does require an external battery charger to keep the batteries up, typically these are an ARGUS charger.  The low power (25 watt) version of the MTR is 12 volts, also requires an ARGUS charger for 12 volt power.  If you have either of those I have chargers and power cords for them.

Many kenwood repeaters have a battery hookup that will charge the backup batteries.  Refer to the manual for your model.

For those units that have neither, there is still hope.  There are external modules that connect to a power supply, an battery and the load or repeater.  These modules will power the repeater off the power supply and also allow the power supply to charge the batteries.  When a power failure happens the load side just reverts to the input with power available,  so there is no 'switchover'  the unit just keeps going until power returns or the battery voltage drops below a certain value and then the unit drops the load to protect the batteries from being discharged too far.   Yes, that's a thing.

I have worked with this stuff a LOT.  To the point my 5 ham and GMRS repeaters, the network routers and switches, and microwave links I use for Internet connectivity are all running off a large bank of batteries and NOT directly off 110 utility power.  The utility comes into the battery charger that in these types of systems is called a rectifier.  It powers the 48 volt distribution system and charges the batteries. This rectifier is rated for 260 amps.  The batteries consist of 4 parallel strings of 105 amp hour 12 volt AGM batteries.  The 48 volt power comes out of the distribution panels and goes to the equipment that requires 48 volts for operation.  It also feeds a 48 volt to 24 volt converter that runs to a distribution panel and out to the repeaters and other 24 volt equipment.  I am currently working on a 48 volt to 12 volt converter and distribution panel to replace the 75 amp supply and string of six 75 amp hour batteries that power the 12 volt equipment and base radios. 

I can currently go over 24 hours on battery before I need to get the generator going.  But of course it's on a transfer switch and auto starts as soon as the power fails.  SO I don't go to battery, except during the transition from utility to generator.  I will then fail to battery once the generator fuel supply is expended.  So I can go with no power for 72 hours before I need to fuel the generator.  It's diesel and I have 8 cans sitting to go get fuel if I need to.

I have 2, 300 watt/watt hour Bluetti solar generators, and 2, 100 watt solar panels to keep them charged. I like to use 1 to power the radio, as it's charging from the other generator, which is being charged with 1 solar panel. The way I use my radio during normal use, 1 of the generators will keep me powered up for an entire day. I've tested it. It will last longer, if using low power. I can even charge all of my HT's at the same time. 

IMG_20230506_204744.jpg

The only problem I have with power stations like this is the amount of noise they put out. They are so buzzy. I have two Ecoflow River2 Pro's that I swap out for my camping setup. Use one while the other charges, etc. They put a loud buzz into the 12v power output that I can hear thru the audio on handhelds that are powered on while charging, and they put a loud AC inverter buzz on audio equipment if it has an amplifier. I'm not even going to test how noisy they'd be on a radio transmitter. For general use, they have been a game changer for camping and for keeping my tool batteries charged for work. But noisy for sensitive electronics. Far noisier than I expected them to be; the River 2 Pro is one of Ecoflow's flagship models. It's their biggest small one. Well, I'll say they are noiser than I *wanted* them to be. But it has to be very difficult to make something like that quiet.

The best thing I've found for backup power is just a battery. You can use the solar power station to charge a good backup battery, but I don't know if I would use the power station to run the transmitter directly, unless I just had to.

I like running from a battery, deep cycle or even a hand me down car battery could work. now pair that with a battery maintainer and you should be good for a few hours of use? I am running a 300 watt solar system hooked to two 100 amp hour batteries. I believe this system can run continuous 24-7 with my use. I do however understand some may not have space and resource for a setup like this. Also if it was a heavy use (or repeater) it would not net 24-7 continuous use without added power.

The LiFePo4 batteries are my current favorite. Everything a lead acid does, these can do better. Lighter in weight and smaller in size for the same capacity as lead batteries. You can't overcharge or over-discharge them because they have their own built-in cutoff circuitry. They last longer, too. They hold more usable capacity than a lead acid battery. They last many more charge/discharge cycles as well. The only area I think they fall short of lead acid technology is that they have extremely poor performance in freezing temperatures. But, they also make self-heating types that will keep themselves above freezing.

I installed a 1000watt lithium power bank connected to a 200 watt flexible solar panel on the roof of my camper shell. This system is for running a 70 qt portable freezer/fridge I carry in the bed of the truck. The system is able to run indefinitely 24/7 with very little attention. I’m considering a similar installation on my radio shed. It would serve as power supply for comms, and has 110v, USB and 12v outlets for running or charging other devices. 

IMG_5844.jpeg

71314051508__B8FE2137-7324-4B50-BF43-C1C74F9D973D.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

What do you do if you get caught in a hail storm?

Both Renogy and Newpowa as well as other quality solar brands are designed to withstand considerable impact such as hail stones. The truck would fair much worse in a hail storm. 

The power bank has an internal charge controller so the install is very much plug and play. The Jackery brand can be charged with solar, 110v and 12v simultaneously. The charge controller does all the work. It will shut down below 30 deg. f, but for the fridge that's not a problem of course. 

For significant shade or darkness the truck or a 110v shore power connection can maintain for a the short term. 

We have 400w of Newpowa rigid panels on our camper with 640AH of LifePo4 batteries for off grid camping. The panels endure a lot and never a hiccup.  

Needless to say a GMRS base and mobile are in the works for the camper and the truck. 

IMG_6237.jpg.361b2d904d14c7ce316a06c36448ca7b.jpg

Edited by WRNN959
Add photo

On 1/6/2024 at 10:48 AM, DominoDog said:

The only problem I have with power stations like this is the amount of noise they put out. They are so buzzy. I have two Ecoflow River2 Pro's that I swap out for my camping setup. Use one while the other charges, etc. They put a loud buzz into the 12v power output that I can hear thru the audio on handhelds that are powered on while charging, and they put a loud AC inverter buzz on audio equipment if it has an amplifier. I'm not even going to test how noisy they'd be on a radio transmitter. For general use, they have been a game changer for camping and for keeping my tool batteries charged for work. But noisy for sensitive electronics. Far noisier than I expected them to be; the River 2 Pro is one of Ecoflow's flagship models. It's their biggest small one. Well, I'll say they are noiser than I *wanted* them to be. But it has to be very difficult to make something like that quiet.

The best thing I've found for backup power is just a battery. You can use the solar power station to charge a good backup battery, but I don't know if I would use the power station to run the transmitter directly, unless I just had to.

I'd love to find some research comparing battery banks including things like noise emissions. The nice thing with Amazon Prime is if you can actually buy two or three different brands, compare and return the less satisfactory for free. Not the best way to go but hey, they are all about customer satisfaction. 

My daily solar rig is a "just do your best" approach. It's very simple but there isn't much that can go wrong. My maximum input is 220w and I have three 100w panels. But their max voltage never goes above the max input volts so I am good. But my panels are just laid flat to the ground, so I don't get any benefit of tracking the sun. It's fine, though. If I get a perfectly bright moment I can see the inputs maxed out at 220w which is perfect for me. Most of the time it hovers down around 160 which is also just fine.

It's a rainy Sunday here and is good to see others' good ideas with their solar setups.

IMG_2159.jpeg

dji_fly_20230831_190352_89_1693530684490_photo.jpeg

HoboTech has a good YouTube channel where he tests a lot of different solar power stations. If I recall the Pecron was a bit slow to use as a UPS. I have(and did a review)a Pecron E600LFP and for the money it'd just about the best "bang for the buck" power station you can get. 1200 Watts, 614Wh battery and it'll take up to 400 Watts of solar. See my video on my YouTube channel for more info @ TN.Frank.

I have a little Bluetti EB3A and contrary to popular opinion, it has done pretty well for me. If you can work it within its limitations, it does really well. I haven't checked it for noisy output. That might be my go to unit for radios, if it ends up being quiet and clean. I can't say anything bad about Bluetti. I wouldn't even have an Ecoflow unit if I didn't fry my own Bluetti by accidentally giving it too much voltage when experimenting with panels. Dumb mistake. But they chose to repair it for free and ship it both ways on their dime. I can't complain at all.

I have definitely watched a couple of Hobotech's videos. I like the personality he puts into the videos.

On 1/7/2024 at 8:37 AM, WRNN959 said:

I installed a 1000watt lithium power bank connected to a 200 watt flexible solar panel on the roof of my camper shell. 

That is an awesome setup!  If only the EV manufacturers could figure out how to do something like that...like they told us they would. 

I love the radio shed idea as well.  I've been contemplating something similar to maintain the charge in several lead-acid batteries I have on hand...which is ultimately what lead me to consider solar generators for their advancements, efficiency, portability and flexibility.  I considered assembling a few LifePo battery banks to charge in something like your radio shed with fixed solar panels, and then move from the work truck to the camper to the office or to the house in the event of a power outage.  With so many options from Anker, Bluetti, Ecoflow, Pecron and others, I doubt I could put together anything as efficient or as effective as they offer.

Great information, everyone!  You've all given me much to think about.  Much appreciated!

1 hour ago, WSAA635 said:

HoboTech has a good YouTube channel where he tests a lot of different solar power stations. If I recall the Pecron was a bit slow to use as a UPS. I have(and did a review)a Pecron E600LFP and for the money it'd just about the best "bang for the buck" power station you can get. 1200 Watts, 614Wh battery and it'll take up to 400 Watts of solar. See my video on my YouTube channel for more info @ TN.Frank.

Hey, I just watched your review last night!  Great job!  

Not to turn this into a Pecron commercial, but the E1500LFP, big brother of the E600LFP has an integrated 120VAC charger so no need to carry around a charging brick.  I put an E1500 on order (largely due to the price), and if it performs well I may add an E600LFP...or maybe the EP3000 expansion battery.

Thanks for the helpful review!

99% of the time I charge from solar since we get a good amount of sun year round here in AZ. I highly recommended the 36v/200w Edostory solar panel for the Pecron because in my observation it can be picky on the lower power solar input. 

Pecron makes some solid no frills units.