Budget Garage Build

WRZT743

So this is how I set up a garage radio station very cheap key word CHEAP

Baofeng UV-5G Plus $35https://www.baofengradio.com/products/uv-5g-plus-5w-gmrs-radio

Commountain Heavy Speaker Mic $20https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MX4J3W8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07MX4J3W8&pd_rd_w=FkIlh&content-id=amzn1.sym.386c274b-4bfe-4421-9052-a1a56db557ab&pf_rd_p=386c274b-4bfe-4421-9052-a1a56db557ab&pf_rd_r=7TFA91RXNWDQRYP7RH6R&pd_rd_wg=HOOT3&pd_rd_r=25bf468d-0588-4e66-8c45-ea93606e0b2c&s=gps&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

Bingfu Vehicle Antenna with Ground Planes $37https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CLKLHHNP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Program Plug and Play for the most part Total $92

Contact made to repeaters 15 miles away no problem.

It can get better, the antenna is good with the factory setting but it is tuned for 440.xxx

We want 462.xxx-467.xxx for GMRS so I purchased some 10G black solid copper wire from my local home improvement store and trimmed it to the perfect tune for 467.400 my SWR is 1.02 - 1.03 I am happy with that.

Tune the Antenna with a NanoVNA 

NanoVNA $50https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08132DJLS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I will take picture of the set up tomorrow in the daylight. 

20240103_211319.jpg

20240103_211422.jpg

20231230_205052.jpg

8 hours ago, WRZT743 said:

Low- 2 watts 

Med- 4.5 watts

High- 8 watts 

Hey thanks for the update.  I have seen on Randy's You-Tube video that his was putting out about 7 watts, but I was a bit suspicous that he had been sent a souped up version.  This is good news and I may have to break down and get one.  Thanks again!!!

The people who are dead set against CCRs will never acknowledge anything right with them, but the fact is that they are a large reason why a lot of people get into playing with radios. 
And once you learn about radios, if you can afford it, chances are you’ll get something better. 

My biggest gripe about using CCR's for a repeater is that most people are over-paying for under performing pieces.

You can buy a decent pair of brand name used mobile radios for less than $150, spend another $15 on a cheap 'repeater maker' cable, and have something that will actually work without de-sensing itself, and put out 10-15 watts all day long without burning itself out. The trouble comes in finding software & programming, but it's not insurmountable.

Or, you can keep buying more and more CCR's trying to find the next YouTuber's favorite combination, and trying to crank up 8-10 watts out of a portable until it burns up - while trying to SAVE money on cheap radios. I guess if you're learning what doesn't work, you're on the way towards learning what will work.

13 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

My biggest gripe about using CCR's for a repeater is that most people are over-paying for under performing pieces.

You can buy a decent pair of brand name used mobile radios for less than $150, spend another $15 on a cheap 'repeater maker' cable, and have something that will actually work without de-sensing itself, and put out 10-15 watts all day long without burning itself out. The trouble comes in finding software & programming, but it's not insurmountable.

@Sshannon and @Radioguy7268 Not trying to hijack the thread, it's just that this is what caught my attention. I would like to find out more about this. If I need to start a new thread I will gladly do so. I'm just really interested in finding out more about this type of repeater build.

3 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

@Sshannon and @Radioguy7268 Not trying to hijack the thread, it's just that this is what caught my attention. I would like to find out more about this. If I need to start a new thread I will gladly do so. I'm just really interested in finding out more about this type of repeater build.

I haven’t built a repeater from two transceivers. I know people have and I also know that desense must be overcome for some transceivers. To me it’s a waste compared to a purpose built repeater because you end up with an unused transmitter on one transceiver and an unused receiver on the other transceiver. If you have access to transceivers that have the capability built in it’s easier. The GMRS Wouxun KG1000 and its ham radio counterpart the Wouxun KG-UV980 are sold with the capability incorporated and a 15 foot cable to connect two of them. 
i would recommend starting a separate thread. I predict you’ll have a popular thread. 

feel free to chat here.... 

I plan on having a mobile as a base station in my house but also wanted to listen while in my garage. So I took what I already knew worked in my truck and put that antenna on the garage.  I did not want to buy another power station to run a mobile unit for the little I will be in there.  That is why I used a handheld comes with power cable. I was amazed that I was hitting repeaters as far as I was and as clear as I was being told it was. Wanted to share, that's all not saying it the best set up just saying it was CHEAP and WORKS.