MXT500 no voice on repeater

New MXT500, I used the factory program to program the radio. The repeater is on channel 22 the CTCSS is 141.3 and I get the repeater "sound" or whatever you call it when I transmit. BUT no one can hear my voice. They hear me opening the repeater and it closes when I am done transmitting, just no voice. The mic has no problem transmitting voice on simplex. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, I am a newbie. 

There is no setting that would cause your voice to work on simplex, but not be transmitted on a repeater assuming the radio is actually transmitting.

Have you confirmed that nobody hears your voice? ie; are they saying "we hear someone keying up, but not saying anything", or are you listening yourself with another radio?

2 hours ago, WRZK431 said:

The repeater is on channel 22 the CTCSS is 141.3 and I get the repeater "sound" or whatever you call it when I transmit.

Just a thought here. Are you on "channel 22" or "repeater channel 22" AKA channel 30? If you are on channel 22, it isn't a repeater channel and you would be sending out on simplex 462.725. Repeater channel 22 or channel 30 sends TX on 467.725 and receives on 462.725. Most GMRS radios (if not all) have the +5 already programmed into the repeater channels.

2 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Are you on "channel 22" or "repeater channel 22" AKA channel 30?

Good catch.. I assumed he was doing it right.. But now I'm putting my money on this...

On the MXT500 you have to go in and ENABLE the repeater channels, then set the correct channel, in this case, channel 30 with the tones.

Does your display say RP Ch 22? If not, you need to go into the menu and activate the repeater channels. I believe fhe menu setting will display "rpt ch" then you need to turn on the feature. The display should say "rpt on" in order to transmit on a repeater freq pair.

1 hour ago, WRNN959 said:

I'm relatively new to GMRS and very new to my MXT500. All this was a bit confusing to me at first also, but it all makes sense once you understand how the TX/RX repeater channels work. I think with the advice above you are very close to success. 

It has been resolve. I was testing using a hand-held radio, even 60 feet away the 50 watt radio was somehow blocking out the hand-held radio. So the hand-held could hear the audio. I was able to contact a station 12 miles away with no problem. 

Thanks for all of your input and response. 

26 minutes ago, WRZK431 said:

even 60 feet away the 50 watt radio was somehow blocking out the hand-held radio

That is called desense, and it is normal.   IIRC, a big GMRS Youtuber even made a short video about it because this is such a common cause of confuckulation for new GMRS users.