Next GMRS HT Radio??

Now that I've gotten the BTech GMRS V2 I'd like to get a second radio. I'm looking at the BTech GMRS Pro as one option but I'd also really like Airband and 800MHz(RX Only, of course)and the Pro doesn't have those Freq.  I'm also thinking the Wouxun KG-935G or KG-935G Plus which doesn't have Airband(not sure what the difference is) or the WOUXUN KG-UV9D Plus so I'd have Airband radio as well.  I'd also like to pick up another GMRS V2 so I'd have a pair of them but then have one really nice radios listed above as a "special" radio. So, what are your thoughts on this as folks who's "been there and doing that"? Thanks.

I'd rather have something that I can use with GMRS and also listen to Airband and other freq. .  I have the V2 set up with GMRS TX/RX and added all the local DPS channels on RX Only so I can listen to them as well. Versatility is the name of the game. The Wouxun KG-UV9D Mate could be added to the list since I can unlock it and program it for GMRS and then lock out the TX for channels I just want to listen to.  I found a vid from Randy(NotaRubicon Productions) on YouTube that will explain the difference between the KG-935G Plus and Pro.  I know the radio I want may be unrealistic but hey, a guy has to try, LOL.

20 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

I'd rather have something that I can use with GMRS and also listen to Airband and other freq. .  I have the V2 set up with GMRS TX/RX and added all the local DPS channels on RX Only so I can listen to them as well. Versatility is the name of the game. The Wouxun KG-UV9D Mate could be added to the list since I can unlock it and program it for GMRS and then lock out the TX for channels I just want to listen to.  I found a vid from Randy(NotaRubicon Productions) on YouTube that will explain the difference between the KG-935G Plus and Pro.  I know the radio I want may be unrealistic but hey, a guy has to try, LOL.

The Yaesu FT5DR receives AM and FM from 500khz to 900 MHz, is rated IPX7 (submersible), and transmits on 2m and 70cm. It might be possible to open it up for GMRS. It’s arguably the best APRS handheld currently available. 
It’s not cheap, but if you watch the sales you can occasionally find it for $360. 

KG-Q10G looks good but I'm trying to stay under $200 if I can.  The UV9D Plus and  doesn't look too bad and the  KG-935G Plus would work but without Airband. Also adding the KG-UV8H to the list. It can be unlocked and used with GMRS too.  I just may have to give up on Airband for now.  I really appreciate all the replies. My Crypto doesn't unbond for another 10 or so days so I won't have any funds until then. I'm sure I'll figure it out by then. Thanks again.

I've kind of narrowed it down to 3, BTech GMRS Pro(only issue is no keyboard but has an app I can use with my phone) the Wouxun UV8H(I can unlock it for GMRS use) which does have the keyboard but no app. and the KG-935G Plus.

All are under $170 and both get pretty good reviews. I'm sure either one would give years of service. 

P.S.

The KG-Q10H may be an option depending on weather my crypto pumps or not. Money will be the final factor.

Ok,so it looks like it's coming down to 3 (baring more info on something else), All are Wouxun. Starting from lower price to higher price.

KG-UV9P-$150

KG-935G Plus-$170

KG-Q10H-$220

I'm also going to pick up another BTech GMRS V2 so I'll have a pair of them for general use.

1 hour ago, WSAA635 said:

Ok,so it looks like it's coming down to 3 (baring more info on something else), All are Wouxun. Starting from lower price to higher price.

KG-UV9P-$150

KG-935G Plus-$170

KG-Q10H-$220

I'm also going to pick up another BTech GMRS V2 so I'll have a pair of them for general use.

At $220 for the price of the KG-Q10H, you’re within $30 of arguably the most durable SHTF radio out there, the Yaesu VX-6.  It’s worth knowing about anyway.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007681

So far you have not told us what you are trying do. Are you wanting to talk to friends or family while out and about or talk to random strangers (there's an app for that😉). Is it for SHTF stituations? You want to listen to many other things but will only be able to talk on GMRS frequencies. Are you planning to get a ham license? If not then why do you think you need multiple radios? Just to be able to listen to more stuff? A scanner will cover all your listening desires and the radio you already have will cover GMRS. You can pick up something like the Uniden BC125AT hand held scanner for around $150 maybe less.

Not going to get a HAM license, I do have my GMRS license and that's the freq. I'll talk on. Main use is communication while dove hunting with my grandson, talking to friends in the neighborhood and keeping in touch while hiking or camping. 

Secondary use will be scanning local LE/EMS, Air Traffic from Luke AFB/Glendale and Goodyear Airports. Also NOAA Weather.

A HAM version of a GMRS would be ok IF it can be easily unlocked to allow TX on GMRS especially if I'll get a few more Watts of TX power so that I could hit some near by repeaters. 

Wouxun seems to make some solid radios and so far the KG-935G Plus and KG-Q10G/H seems to be the top 2 on my list.

Like I said, I'll get another BTech GMRS V2 so I'll have a less expensive pair for hunting/camping/hiking use and then 1 of the 2 above for a higher end option.

I hope this clears things up a bit. 

You may be better off getting a handheld scanner. They typically are much better on receive in the airband than any radio, plus scan much faster. In fact, I used to listen to airband with my FTM400, but since switching radios, I haven't missed it, and use a handheld scanner full time in my truck instead.

Not interested in getting a scanner. I want more functionality I.E., being able to not only scan channels I'm interested in but also being able to talk on GMRS channels. 

Looks like the KG-UV9P can be easily "unlocked" in CHIRP to transmit on GMRS and the price is less then the Q10H with the same number of channels I'll be able to scan.

4 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

Not going to get a HAM license, I do have my GMRS license and that's the freq. I'll talk on. Main use is communication while dove hunting with my grandson, talking to friends in the neighborhood and keeping in touch while hiking or camping. 

Secondary use will be scanning local LE/EMS, Air Traffic from Luke AFB/Glendale and Goodyear Airports. Also NOAA Weather.

A HAM version of a GMRS would be ok IF it can be easily unlocked to allow TX on GMRS especially if I'll get a few more Watts of TX power so that I could hit some near by repeaters. 

Wouxun seems to make some solid radios and so far the KG-935G Plus and KG-Q10G/H seems to be the top 2 on my list.

It may be worth noting that if you are looking for a fast scan rate the KG-Q10 radios are not that. They scan slow, they are great radios though. If your primary use is GMRS and scanning is secondary you can't go wrong with the quality of the Wouxun KG-935G Plus and you'll be legal as well. No worries of transmiting out of band. Scanning is faster than the Q10's, no air band but...

3 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

Seems like a "ONE RADIO TO RULE THEM ALL." kind of deal.

If there was "one radio to rule them all" we wouldn't all have so many radios 😂

I think you'd like the KG-935G Plus. That's my two cents. 

42 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

I will second this. I have 3 KG-935Plus. Can't go wrong.

I've given the KG-935G Plus a close look but I don't think it'll do Airband. The one that I'm really looking at is the KG-UV9G Pro which will keep me GMRS Legal and it does ALL the stuff I want to scan for including Airband and 800MHz. Better Safe Radio has them on sale for $168.00 which is a pretty good deal and well under the $200 that I planned for. Also, unlike the KG-935G Plus the KG-UV9G Pro is a SuperHetrodyne radio which is suppose to make a bit of a difference in selectivity. Still have 9 days until my Crypto unbonds so I just hope that they're still on sale by then.

I have been very happy with my KG-935G. It is a good hand held and I have no problems talking on the repeater 21 miles away when I am outside. In fact I have been happy with all of the Wouxun GMRS radios I have. The KG1000g Plus and KG-XS20G Plus are both excellent mobile radios.

I think sticking with something that's GMRS out of the box will just make life easier. Not that I don't like to tinker, I'd just rather have things set up already. I can tweak the installed channels as needed. 

So, for now(subject to change)the KG-UV9G Pro looks like the one I'll get.