Need a little help w Baofeng UV-5G programming C-CTCS

RogerCarper

Question

I have my tone in and tone outs.

I have been having problems w where to program my tone in / Cctcs.  I can hear the guys on both ch 20 & repeater ch 6 (CH 28), but everthing I do I cant talk to them or get a conformation noise back.

Do I add the C-CTCS in Ch 20 or Repeater Ch 6 (Ch 28), and do I talk to the repeater from Ch 20 or Repeater Ch 6 (Ch 28).

My Baofeng uv5g radios were a gift and I have not ordered a cable to use chirp, so i am doing all from the keypad.

Ready to be un Confackulated lol

Roger Carper

Roger03@aol.com

7 answers to this question

It might help us help you if you explain what you're doing in detail.  Adding or changing tones should be easy.

What do you mean by a radio with all the keys?  The Baofeng UV-5G has the number keys and the typical extra keys.  Can you post a picture of the radio you have?

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

You want to set the tones and talk on the repeater channel. Repeater channel 6 is setup with the correct offsets whereas Channel 20 is not since it is a simplex only channel.

Thanks, I have tried to find videos on youtube for this, but there is not any with only the baofeng uv5g.

NotaRubicon has 1 w a different radio, but it says to save the C tones / numbers on ch 17, as the example was for ch 17 which would be Repeater ch 3 (ch 25).

I spent 34 years talking on fire dept radios, but this gmrs thing is confusing to me.  It is probably because I was gifted a uv5g and not a radio w all the keys.

It is a Standard baofeng uv 5g, and the front key pad is the same as uv 5R.  I want to be able to talk to repeaters, but the uv-5g will not let you add T-ctcs tones in the pre set 30 channels.  

I am wanting to now how to talk to repeaters, or a video explaining this on the GMRS baofeng uv5g and not the uv-5r

@RogerCarper Repeater channels start at 23 and go from there. 1-22 are simplex channels and will not transmit on repeaters. Also, some GMRS radios will not let you do certain things in VFO mode so make sure you are in Memory/Channel mode. Programming with a computer is almost always much easier than programming directly on the radio.