Wouxun KG-UV9D Plus unlock?

WSAA635

Question

Seems like all the radios with airband that I'm finding for sale are HAM radios. One that's caught my eye is the KG-UV9D Plus. From a video I watched it seems easy enough to expand the frequency into the GMRD bands using chirp. Legality aside, in a SHTF situation is this "fix" just this easy as it seems?

Thanks for the fast response. I think the main difference with the MATE is the power output. If the MATE was offered in some other color than orange I might spend the extra $10 and get it but the standard Plus should work ok for my needs.

Got my UV9D Plus today. Menus in CHIRP are a bit different for setting frequencies than in the YouTube video that I watched. I did manage to get GMRS/FRS programmed into the radio and it works.  Just need to see if I can find a video that shows this radio's setting list in CHIRP Legacy to compare with what I've got it set at. Any pics that anyone can post would be helpful of their settings. Thanks.

Still having trouble getting Airbands despite watching a couple three videos on YouTube on how to do it. I can program them in for the local Goodyear Airport but only 2 of the 4 show up and one isn't showing up as AM even though it's in the AM Band.  I'll figure it out eventually but any help would also be awesome.

Yes to everything. I set the stations to AM, I had Auto AM set and I was working on the top section.  I did a Factory Reset but I don't think it reset everything because my custom heading didn't reset. 

I really need a pic of the Factory settings so I can reset all of that and go from there. 

I reset everything. Got my GMRS frequencies and the 3 DPS channels reinstalled and that all works. I didn't mess with anything much in settings except for turning of the voice and keyboard beep. I can't even input an Airband frequency from the front panel in freq. mode. They just don't take.  A big reason why I got this radio is because it was suppose to do Airband. If ANYONE can show me the settings they're using to get Airband I'd really appreciate it.

@WSAA635, can you screenshot your Chirp settings for us? Maybe it will show something.  Are the frequencies you’re trying to put in within the radio’s ability? Also depending on where you are and what you’re listening to maybe there isn’t much to hear? When you try to front panel program are you in the top section? Sorry if some of this sounds obvious, it’s difficult to know what is going on so I’m throwing out all I can think of. 
What antenna are you using? Is it a case of not being able to put the frequency in or it not receiving? It looks like you said you were able to program a couple. 

Edited by WRUU653
Additional Questions

I don’t have the radio, so maybe this doesn’t help, but I looked up the radio out of curiosity.

The frequencies advertised for this radio are as follows:

• 7-Band receive frequency range: 76-108 (FM Radio), 108-136 (AM), 136-180 (FM), 230-250 (FM), 350-400 (FM), 400-512 (FM), 700-823 (FM)

If that is a literal representation of coverage limits baked into the firmware, then it would appear that you can only tune to AM frequencies from 108-136, but above 136 the radio only does FM.

The airband extends from 108-137, so if the 108-136 MHz coverage listed above truly reflects firmware boundaries then you just can’t get there (136-137 MHz AM) from here.

Mine looks a little different at the top of configuration. Not sure if it's this radio or the Mac software. perhaps someone else with you exact set up can chime in. Amazon makes for easy returns and I think you would get good customer help from Buy two way radios or Better safe radios

image.thumb.png.767e4a1117ecb475eccb6cbe0ea4e458.png

Edited by WRUU653
added info

I do think it's odd they have frequency lists for everything from 150MHz to 700MHz but nothing for 108-135MHz AM.

I would figure you'd set that in the 150MHz area? There's nothing in Area A Setting for AM, just the sub-areas(150MHz, 200MHz, 300MHz, 450MHz and 700MHz) and all of those are technically too high.

So another question while we're on the subject.  Do I have to add the Airband channels from CHIRP or should I be able to add them from the front panel because when I try from the front panel they won't take but I do seem to be able to program them with CHIRP.

33 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

So another question while we're on the subject.  Do I have to add the Airband channels from CHIRP or should I be able to add them from the front panel because when I try from the front panel they won't take but I do seem to be able to program them with CHIRP.

I have always used Chirp but I think you should be able to do it front panel but you will have to select AM-SW for each memory you want to see as AM. On my radio it’s menu 54. 

OK, even with all the freq. bands set to AM and AM Auto and everything else after I loaded some local Airbands into the radio I still can't get below 136.000MHz.  I'm starting to think this radio is broken or something. Guess it's time to send it back to Amazon for a refund and go back to square 1.