Interesting Stats on Multi Repeater Ownership (LIC) Not for Proffit?? HMMMMM

WRUE951

In reviewing STATS, I stumbled into something interesting.  The GMRS Radio Hobby intended for family and friends is not supposed to be a 'For Proffit' business.   But yet almost every state has many repeaters owned by one individual or (Lic to the same individual).  For example, and just to name a few states, Alaska has 14 repeaters licensed by the same individual, Arkansas has 13, California 12, Florida 18, Kentucky 15, New Mexico 18, etc..   A low-end repeater will cost in neighborhood of $2,500 meaning the person with 18 repeaters in New Mexico has invested nearly $50K..  So, to sum it up for the numbers for the United States. there are approximately:        

Online Repeaters =                                                      3,567

Multi Lic Rep Owners =                                                  253

Total Repeaters owned by Multi Lic                            1,285 

Percentage repeaters operated by Multi owners         36%

Getch Ya Some of that    :-') 

GMRS RPTR_licownership_percintile.pdf

I don't see a source listed for these can you point me to the database? I'm assuming you're pulling off the my GMRS.com list. If that's so then that's because there's a known issue of people adding repeaters as theirs when they do not own them leading to duplicates. Not someone owning a bunch.

13 minutes ago, WRYC373 said:

I don't see a source listed for these can you point me to the database? I'm assuming you're pulling off the my GMRS.com list. If that's so then that's because there's a known issue of people adding repeaters as theirs when they do not own them leading to duplicates. Not someone owning a bunch.

the data is from here..   And the duplicates you talk about would only represent less than 1% As per what the FRN numbers suggest....  

Owning a repeater, or multiple repeaters, doesn't translate into making a profit. In fact, I would venture to say that for many repeaters, more money goes out  buying and maintaining equipment and insurance, and possibly renting or buying space for a repeater than money coming in. (ie club dues, raffles, etc.) My amateur radio club's repeaters, of which I am the trustee, are operated by our non-profit organization, and 100% of the money brought in goes toward maintenance, insurance, equipment, etc, and operating the club itself. None of it is profit, nor can it be declared or used as such. No one I know has ever installed a repeater of any kind with the idea of making money. For one reason, it's against the rules, and for another, it's like they say about boats, they're holes in the water where you throw money in. 

The GMRS repeater we just put up is owned by the club which is a 501c3 non profit. Our 2m and 70cm repeaters run under the club call sign but the GMRS repeater is running under a member's call sign since he has his GMRS license and the club does not. The member is listed as the GMRS repeater trusty within the club.

While your numbers of repeater owners might be a bit off, repeaters being expensive is 100% true.

Now there seems to be inference by the question, why would someone want to put up a repeater, much less multiple repeaters and not be able to 'charge' for their use.

The short version is because we are in a situation that we can afford to do it.  Some of us do it because we travel in the states and area's we cover so we always have access to the system.  Others have a line on free or reduced cost gear and use that gear as we see fit to build systems.  Most of the repeater owners have a standing invitation for GMRS license holders that have access to towers of significant height, to provide equipment to place on those towers with some stipulations pertaining to any rent, or other reoccurring costs to be paid for by the person or persons in the operating range of that repeater.   We have the means and the knowledge to get it done, so we do it. 

And be assured that most owners are always looking for a deal on used gear that fits the needs of the system.  None of the major players are running mobile radios and a repeater controller as a repeater.  Everyone is using some sort of public safety / carrier grade equipment so it will stand up to the abuse of being keyed for hours on end during a net or a busy time.  Repeaters that are NOT 100% duty cycle rated will not hold up in these applications. 

So there's part of the why.  The other parts.  It's a hobby.  Take car collectors, big game hunters, motorsports competitors, coin and currency collectors, and a number of other hobby's.  They spend just as much if not more on their hobby's that we do as repeater system owners.  One owner has admitted he has over 100K invested in his repeater network.  And knowing what he have, I have no reason to question that number and in truth I bet it's actually more.  But these things are done over time. 

Lastly, and here's my motivation.  The tower I have access to and the equipment I have to do this most people don't have. Since I do have it I sort of feel obligated to provide the service since I can.  It's a unique situation to be about to park an antenna at 180 feet on the highest point in a county and put up a repeater on that antenna.  I want people to enjoy it.  If I didn't I would just sell all the gear and operate on repeaters provided by others, except when I got started, there were no others.  So I did it myself and others have since followed my lead.  And we continue to look to expand.

We ended up getting a Bridgecom repeater setup for GMRS and we are lucky that the local radio station does not charge us rent for using their 900 foot tower since we are a non profit organization. That is a big bonus that cuts way down on expenses.

10 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

While your numbers of repeater owners might be a bit off, repeaters being expensive is 100% true.

Now there seems to be inference by the question, why would someone want to put up a repeater, much less multiple repeaters and not be able to 'charge' for their use.

The short version is because we are in a situation that we can afford to do it.  Some of us do it because we travel in the states and area's we cover so we always have access to the system.  Others have a line on free or reduced cost gear and use that gear as we see fit to build systems.  Most of the repeater owners have a standing invitation for GMRS license holders that have access to towers of significant height, to provide equipment to place on those towers with some stipulations pertaining to any rent, or other reoccurring costs to be paid for by the person or persons in the operating range of that repeater.   We have the means and the knowledge to get it done, so we do it. 

And be assured that most owners are always looking for a deal on used gear that fits the needs of the system.  None of the major players are running mobile radios and a repeater controller as a repeater.  Everyone is using some sort of public safety / carrier grade equipment so it will stand up to the abuse of being keyed for hours on end during a net or a busy time.  Repeaters that are NOT 100% duty cycle rated will not hold up in these applications. 

So there's part of the why.  The other parts.  It's a hobby.  Take car collectors, big game hunters, motorsports competitors, coin and currency collectors, and a number of other hobby's.  They spend just as much if not more on their hobby's that we do as repeater system owners.  One owner has admitted he has over 100K invested in his repeater network.  And knowing what he have, I have no reason to question that number and in truth I bet it's actually more.  But these things are done over time. 

Lastly, and here's my motivation.  The tower I have access to and the equipment I have to do this most people don't have. Since I do have it I sort of feel obligated to provide the service since I can.  It's a unique situation to be about to park an antenna at 180 feet on the highest point in a county and put up a repeater on that antenna.  I want people to enjoy it.  If I didn't I would just sell all the gear and operate on repeaters provided by others, except when I got started, there were no others.  So I did it myself and others have since followed my lead.  And we continue to look to expand.

A few do it because they like the prestige of being a repeater owner. Yeah, there are a few guys hung up on ego's out there.

We have an owner out here, he has about 6 heavily used repeaters. Equipment for way more.

1. He has the resources.
Ie. Equipment, knowledge and the network of people (for repeater sites locations)

2. It's a hobby for him

Originally it was set up for the Red Cross, as the primary user. He has it open for everyone licensed although it isn't published. We all acknowledge, should the Red Cross need them, we give way.

Some people do it so they can. Some people do it because they feel they are helping the community.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

On 1/30/2024 at 7:46 PM, WRKC935 said:

The numbers are what is represented on this site and represent only active repeaters in the U.S.   I just found it interesting that over 30% of the active repeaters in the U.S. are owned/licensed to/by like individuals.   The other thing that surprise me even more is, I travel quite a lot in my RV  and get to many places where these multi licensed repeaters reside and find these repeaters are not busy at all.  In fact i dont find to many GMRS repeaters being busy anywhere..  GMRS radio frequencies outside of the repeater bands do get pretty busy.  HAM repeaters always seem to be the most active..   Don't get me wrong,  if someone enjoys there hobby enough to spend many thousand of dollars and not reap the benefits of getting a lot of use from their investment,,  that's there business....  But is still boggles my mind and makes me wonder how those people can justify spending so much money.  I have a GMRS repeater where i reside and have invested about 3K and it seldom is used by anyone..   There is no way i would put up another, let alone 18 of them...  Just sharing an observation