Motorola XPR-4550 radios for GMRS repeater, will they work?

WSS

Question

I have 14) XPR 4550 and 3) XPR 5550 radios that where pulled from a bus service. All are programmed for that service. Can these be programmed for GMRS repeater use? What cable would or could be used to link a pair of properly programmed radios?

WQWY888

KA6GOU

IMG_6503.JPG

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

13 answers to this question

I haven't played with the XPRs but I have played with several of their predecessors, the XTLs.. So, my (semi) educated guess is that IF they are the UHF versions and IF you can get the software for them, then yes, they will work.
But I will yield to whatever anyone that has more experience with the XPRs than I do has to say.

I dont understand your question about linking the radios with a cable, because, why would you want to do that? Unless what you are asking is "can these radios be used AS a repeater".. If so, please deconfuckulate us.

Yes, my plan is to make a few repeaters. So these would be used in pairs. I’ve made a few using the cdm radios using an Id-o-matic and some generic link cables from eBay on those but I’m not finding any available for the XPR radios. 

See attached model number chart.  These are 450-512 MHz models.  These will work on GMRS but not amateur.   I have many XPR4550 radios and a few 5550. They have superior receivers from a susceptiility/overload perspective.  They are perfect radios for creating a repeater.  Their accessory outputs are easy to program.   They have a design flaw where their accessory port output of low frequency CTCSS codes (below 114.8 Hz) or DCS are poor.   But that is fine.  Not sure about cables.         

XPR 4550 Model Number Chart.pdf

They will work the same as a CDM, or any other MSI Radius line mobile. The difference is the accessory cable pino ut. You'll need to buy the kit of plug and pins and make your own cable. Also need to program the pins in the radio. Dont run them on high power or they wont last long. Basicaly the XPR 8400 repeater has two of those in the box. 

6 hours ago, gortex2 said:

.... Dont run them on high power or they wont last long. Basicaly the XPR 8400 repeater has two of those in the box. 

Good recommendation when using those model for repeater operation.  But if/when the transmitting radio fails, just swap the radios around.  

15 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

Those are ConnectPlus. You may have issues removing trunking firmware and going to a standard firmware. I have not personally made that change, so I cannot walk you through it.

Does the FW need to be removed, or can he just program a conventional channel in them and go with that?  Or does CP preclude programming a conventional channel?   

7 hours ago, intermod said:

Does the FW need to be removed, or can he just program a conventional channel in them and go with that?  Or does CP preclude programming a conventional channel?   

From what I can tell, it can be programmed around, I hope!!

We have a county near me that has an interface cable for XPR4550s for their vehicular repeaters in the ambulances.

I've put in a few and its just a straight thru cable from radio to radio.

I don't think its a Motorola part, but you would probably want something more like the IDoMatic like the other user said.

But they are great radios.