Kind of new and need GMRS help...

WRDU469

Question

I installed a Midland MXTA26 MicroMobile 6DB Gain Whip Antenna using a MXTA24 low-profile 19ft antenna cable with NMO connector. Based off reviews and other user experience, I was expecting a low SWR, but getting between 1.43-1.5. I am using a Wouxun KG-935G Plus handheld in my truck with this antenna setup. Is there anyway to improve the SWR?

In testing, my power output is pretty good above 6 watts when I tested on ch 15. I am not sure if this antenna is tunable either?

I probably should mention it is on this hood mount https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/chevy-gmc-cb-antenna-hood-mount-2010 which may be a problem, not sure...

9 answers to this question

I would not sweat that SWR reading. Anything under 2.0 is fine. While fender mounts do work, getting the antenna up above the vehicle roof on a good ground plane is going to be better. Center of the roof is best unless you are dealing with a clearance issue.

PS: don't test rubber duck antennas, They can be all over the place as far as SWR readings go but they still work just fine.

I appreciate all the input here. I do believe my biggest hurdle here is not having a good ground plane. I will probably just stick with this for now unless I decide to go with a magnetic NMO ground plane. I was hoping to have a clean installation with this but understand the trade off with a small hood mount like I have.

8 minutes ago, WRYC373 said:

I wouldn't do a mag mount, due to it scratching paint. The best ground plane is going to be a nmo hole drilled.

I’ve never seen any mag mount scratch paint of any vehicle I’ve ever used one on.  Or any friends rigs.  Just make sure you use the rubber boot and clean under it every few months.  It’s really not a big deal.  Some people don’t want to drill into their roofs.  

2 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

I’ve never seen any mag mount scratch paint of any vehicle I’ve ever used one on.  Or any friends rigs.  Just make sure you use the rubber boot and clean under it every few months.  It’s really not a big deal.  Some people don’t want to drill into their roofs.  

I have and in a very short period of time. But mostly with antennas that get moved around from one vehicle to another  

Over time they pick up pieces of magnetic grit or even steel shavings and grind them into the clear coat and eventually the underlying paint.

It’s very important to make sure the protective boot and the car roof are completely clean before attaching the antenna and a layer of clear protective film is really helpful.

2 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

I’ve never seen any mag mount scratch paint of any vehicle I’ve ever used one on.

I've had paint damage. Not so much scratches, but a permanent ring-shaped indention in the paint. I mitigated the issue by sticking a cheap plastic (not glass) tablet screen protector on the roof. I've since moved on to lip mounts on my van's liftgate because I don't want the coax draped across the roof. 

I have that antenna. Works great. I have it mag mounted on the roof of my Sierra crew cab about 6 inches forward of the brake light. Gets it up high with a good ground plane. I have had no issues with scratching as i use the rubber protection. On my antenna. lol. Even had it tip over hitting a branch. No damage.