Programming Baofeng UV-5G Plus Repeater Help

WRZX627

Question

Brand new to GMRS radio.  Purchased Baofeng UV-5G Plus for emergency communication with family member about 35 miles away.  Need direction for setting up to connect to a local repeater.  Not terribly technically inclined, and haven't been able to find a video that gives step by step info for getting set up.  Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated!

at a minimum, all you need to do is put the radio on the correct corresponding repeater channel, go into the menu and find the CTC or DTC menu (depending on if it is a CTCSS tone or a DPL/DTC tone) for TRANSMIT, select the correct tone from the list, and save the change.  I know you said you are not "technically inclined" but I assume you know how to read, so you might have to read the manual for the exact steps.  Only worry the transmit tone for now, the receive tone is optional.

That is all you need to do.

On 2/17/2024 at 9:49 PM, SpeedSpeak2Me said:

Just a note, contrary to what most of the internet experts are saying, CHIRP-next does not work with the UV-5G Plus, even if you select a different model to "fake" it.  You will get a read error.  If anyone says that it does, ask for the actual proof.  The request to support this model was submitted back in December (2023).

To program via computer, you have to use the proprietary CPS (Customer Programmable Software), and it is Windows only.  It's also not very good.

Statement incorrect.

Using Chirp-Next, choose Baofeng GM-5RH to read and program the Baofeng UV-5G Plus.  

Open Device Manager on your PC, navigate to USB devices and expand the section, take note of the devices listed, and then plug in your Baofeng programing cable.

Note: the two-prong end that plugs into the radio must be pressed very firmly to get it to seat else you will get a communication error when trying to read  the radio.  

I used this process this evening to read and write to two Baofeng UV-5G Plus radios.

6 hours ago, WRZX627 said:

Thank you.  I'll read further in the manual and follow the steps you mentioned.

I might suggest getting Chirp next software. It's free and it helped me to program my Baofengs.  You'll need a programming cable to connect your radio to usb port on your computer. 

You can get that cable here:

https://brushbeater.store/products/pc03-programming-cable

I would also suggest this video on Chirp programming:

This helped A LOT.

hope it helps you as well.

Thx.

Yes there is a local repeater and yes, I have been given permission to use it.  I have the repeater frequency (and corresponding channel) as well as the input and output tone.  I guess I just need some guidance on actually programming the radios with this information.

Just a note, contrary to what most of the internet experts are saying, CHIRP-next does not work with the UV-5G Plus, even if you select a different model to "fake" it.  You will get a read error.  If anyone says that it does, ask for the actual proof.  The request to support this model was submitted back in December (2023).

To program via computer, you have to use the proprietary CPS (Customer Programmable Software), and it is Windows only.  It's also not very good.

4 minutes ago, SpeedSpeak2Me said:

My apologies,  I  missed the "plus" part.

So, I’ve no answer, just another question.  How many repeater channels can one set up on the UV-5G PLUS?   It’s really helpful to set up a lot if traveling, and have CPS pages for different States, or routes ready to load.   Rubicon says that you can program it with CHIRP

Give or take 980. It has 999 memory spots. 1-22 programmed as reg channels then 23-30 are default repeater channels, but you can keep adding more with tones until you have 999 total channels. 

On 2/17/2024 at 1:20 PM, WRZX627 said:

Yes there is a local repeater and yes, I have been given permission to use it.

If only looking at one repeater, it really isn’t tough to do manually.  Take your time and give it a try.  You can always change it back.  Good luck and try it.  

On 2/17/2024 at 1:38 PM, WRZX627 said:

Thank you.  I'll read further in the manual and follow the steps you mentioned.

I just got my first radio also, a UV-5G plus, and BEWARE, the repeater programming in the manual is NOT in 6.11 like the table of contents in the owners manual says, it is in 6.4

Have you had any luck? I have programmed repeaters that I have permission for, and am able to hear a lot, but talk little. Not sure why yet. I have been able to communicate with my other UV-5G plus, 4 miles away very clearly, but don't know if that's because I'm hitting the repeater or not, and have not had any successful "Radio checks"

On 2/17/2024 at 8:15 PM, TacticalTodd said:

I might suggest getting Chirp next software. It's free and it helped me to program my Baofengs.  You'll need a programming cable to connect your radio to usb port on your computer. 

You can get that cable here:

https://brushbeater.store/products/pc03-programming-cable

I would also suggest this video on Chirp programming:

This helped A LOT.

hope it helps you as well.

Thx.

Thank you, this video was super helpful. Since this video was using HAM as an example, I used it in combination with this video. 

One thing to point out, BAOFENG is analog, and won't use digital repeaters. EX: D026

On 4/6/2024 at 8:48 PM, WsBs233 said:

Statement incorrect.

Using Chirp-Next, choose Baofeng GM-5RH to read and program the Baofeng UV-5G Plus.  

Open Device Manager on your PC, navigate to USB devices and expand the section, take note of the devices listed, and then plug in your Baofeng programing cable.

Note: the two-prong end that plugs into the radio must be pressed very firmly to get it to seat else you will get a communication error when trying to read  the radio.  

I used this process this evening to read and write to two Baofeng UV-5G Plus radios.

Thank you, this worked for my UV-5G plus!

6 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

They do use both digital and analog tones. So, yes, D026 will work on a Baofeng.

Interesting. HRCC Josh said all Baofeng's were analog, and I didn't see an option to input a D tone. How would I program D025 for example?

7 minutes ago, WSCF926 said:

Interesting. HRCC Josh said all Baofeng's were analog, and I didn't see an option to input a D tone. How would I program D025 for example?

Most of the Baofeng radios have analog FM transmissions. Digital access codes can be used on analog radios. The type of modulation is different than digital DCS codes. 
Simply go to the DCS menu, select it, and then select the code. 

On 4/17/2024 at 2:33 PM, Sshannon said:

Most of the Baofeng radios have analog FM transmissions. Digital access codes can be used on analog radios. The type of modulation is different than digital DCS codes. 
Simply go to the DCS menu, select it, and then select the code. 

That worked! Thanks. My mistake was looking for a code with a D in it, instead of just using the number.

Yes there is a local repeater and yes, I have been given permission to use it.  I have the repeater frequency (and corresponding channel) as well as the input and output tone.  I guess I just need some guidance on actually programming the radios with this information.

I found as a noob my self that if you are programming via CHIRP you need to select the Uv-5H then for the repeaters scroll down to those channels with the + in the column put in your repeaters in to the correct channel slot.

WSCH382