Repeater Output Tone: transmit or receive on HH

WSAI265

Question

8 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

So leaving the Rx-CTC empty or off means your radio will hear everything transmitted to that repeater, including transmissions with the tone. If you program in the Rx-CTC tone, you will only hear transmissions to the repeater using that tone and no others right?  Gets a little confusing.

No, it means you will hear everything transmitted on the frequency your radio is receiving.  Both repeaters and radios using simplex transmit on the same frequencies. 

2 hours ago, WSAI265 said:

Hey there, noob here. When a repeater says it has an output tone 136.5 hz, would that be the hz I enter for the transmit or receive ctcs tone on my hand held?

The repeater outputs that tone but it’s received by your radio. 
However, if you leave the receive tone empty (or choose TONE instead of TSQL) then your radio will reproduce everything, not just transmissions with the tone. 

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

The repeater outputs that tone but it’s received by your radio. 
However, if you leave the receive tone empty (or choose TONE instead of TSQL) then your radio will reproduce everything, not just transmissions with the tone. 

So leaving the Rx-CTC empty or off means your radio will hear everything transmitted to that repeater, including transmissions with the tone. If you program in the Rx-CTC tone, you will only hear transmissions to the repeater using that tone and no others right?  Gets a little confusing.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:35 PM, BoxCar said:

You're just backwards. The receive tone governs what you hear from the repeater. Transmissions to the repeater are on the offset frequency.

So does that mean to set an offset or only set an offset if the gmrs info says to do so? A gmrs YouTube mentioned to set an offset of +5 for all gmrs frequencies of 400. I do not have any confirmation on that info yet.

7 minutes ago, WSAI265 said:

Ohhhkay! Thank you, really big aha moment for me. Thanks for clarifying.

You’re sure welcome. I was afraid I might not have provided enough information, but sometimes saying more makes things more confusing and I didn’t want that.