GMRS Repeater tone question

toverbeck

Please bear with me, I'm dipping my toes into GMRS and trying to learn a bit.

I am looking at repeaters in my area and looking at setting up one of my own. I noticed that one repeater at 462.700 with 167.9 Hz for the tone is also coming through when I use any other tone (programmed into my Baofeng UV-5r).

I thought that by using a different tone setting I would not hear them and likewise, would be able to operate on that frequency at a different tone without interfering with them. 

Looking for some help on this. I added a screen shot of my current programming on CHIRP

Thanks!

I should note that I know there is no such thing as "privacy" but was under the impressions that using different tones helped cut down on people interfering with each other's machines.

post-1010-0-49020200-1464746997_thumb.jpg

If there is a current repeater on that Frequency I would pick another pair. Even though you plan to use a different PL/DPL tone you still could cause interference to each other. If your area is using all channels available then you may talk to one of the repeater owners and see if he offers any other tones. MY repeaters have multi-pl controllers and I can allow certain tones for certain people. This is how I allow the "travel" tone yet dont have to listen to people chat away on my base radio. Although this eliminates the "noise" the repeater is still in use and cannot be used at that point. Pro and Cons to all situations.

On the same topic if the repeaters are streatched out or coverage is weak co-channel may be able to be worked around. I have 2 low power repeaters about 20 miles apart. Neither one can hear each other so i use the same tones just for ease of changing channels. 

Yes, use TSQL for TX and RX tone. 

I agree, use another channel, if one is available with no current use. I used to setup a receiver and a tape recorded for a week at time years ago to find conditions on certain channels that coordinators would send back as possible good ones for public safety and business. Not that any of them should have been used and undocumented, but just to check for skip, etc.

I have done same on GMRS with a program called ScanRec for windows...which is essentially a Vox audio recorder. 

Find the cleanest one you can, and even if you don't use your repeater much, at least get on and do a radio test and ID a couple times a week, so if anyone else is doing what you are, they at least have a shot a knowing you exist. About all you can do with a self coordinated service. 

I have done same on GMRS with a program called ScanRec for windows...which is essentially a Vox audio recorder.

Thanks for recommending this wonderful little program! I've been wanting to record my own range tests because I can't always count on having a "helper" around to chat with and provide signal reports.

I've set this with a high enough VOX threshold that none of the other radios or scanners will trigger a recording, and by stating time and position when transmitting I can easily correlate this with the log file.