Using privacy codes

WRYD530

Question

Let’s say I’m on a repeater channel 18 with an uplink of 141.3 to activate the repeater and i have a home base radio that i want to leave on most of the time but dont want to hear all communications. I then set receive tone to say 67.0 or whatever i decide so i only hear transmissions from my mobile radio that is set to same down frequency. Correct? And yes I realize there is no “privacy”. 

7 answers to this question

It seems that you are trying to "sneak" your own privacy tone into / through the repeater.

That will not work.

The transmitting station needs to transmit the repeater tone to open the repeater and to get re-transmitted / relayed.

With the setup you describe, the home station will receive nothing but transmissions coming in through simples with the set tone.

The repeater will not "re-transmit" a private tone.

Some repeaters are using transmission tones but that would be the same for all traffic on the repeater.

Let's just simplify with code A, B, C.

To open the repeater you need to use its code. We'll call that input code "A".

To listen to that repeater, you can either listen wide open (no code) or you can set your receiver to match the repeater's output code. "B". It's possible for a repeater operator to set A and B to be the same, which is also fine, though often they're different. It doesn't really matter; makes no practical difference once the sending and receiving radios are configured with the proper codes.

There is nowhere to insert a third output code, "C", so that a subset of listeners can grab only messages coming through with the "C" tone. It's just not a feature supported by GMRS. It is possible for a high-end repeater configuration to allow multiple input/output tone combinations, though. But that's not as common, and really is up to the person setting up the repeater to configure.

2 hours ago, WRYD530 said:

Let’s say I’m on a repeater channel 18 with an uplink of 141.3 to activate the repeater and i have a home base radio that i want to leave on most of the time but dont want to hear all communications. I then set receive tone to say 67.0 or whatever i decide so i only hear transmissions from my mobile radio that is set to same down frequency. Correct? And yes I realize there is no “privacy”. 

So this setup will cause you to not hear transmissions from that repeater, unless they also have a code of 67.0 set on their transmissions?

Why use a channel shared with a local repeater?  There will be interference when both are transmitting, subject to the "capture effect."