I'd just like one really nice radio.

4 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

An SOC radio with good filtering will far outperform a superhet radio with poor filtering.  Don't put too much emphasis on "SOC".

It would be prudent to do some research first. Try to find user reviews online for the radio. 

Also if one has the technical background locating the service manual for the radio would be a good option. It would likely have the schematics. Looking those over would reveal how much frontend filtering is being done. 

For example I believe the Motorola XPR-7550e is one such example. Users swear by them and have very good frontend filtering and high sensitivity too.

30 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

An SOC radio with good filtering will far outperform a superhet radio with poor filtering.  Don't put too much emphasis on "SOC".

This is very true. My Icom IC-T10 is SOC and does very well.

2 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

Because I like to add VHF/MURS channels as a back up for the GMRS channels. The Yaesu FT-65r seems like it'd work but $95 for a SOC radio seems pricy. Wouxun KG-905g would be nice if it was CHIRP supported but it's not. 

I may just drop back and punt and get another A36 Plus and be done with it for a while. 

The radio is not certified for other than ham. MURS and GMRS are not Ham. 

I don't have a HAM License and I don't plan on transmitting on any HAM Frequencies either. For me the Radio I use is irrelevant as long as I only transmit on GMRS Frequencies (Which I'm Licensed for) or MURS Frequencies for which you don't need a License.  I know the Prisons are full of of folks who transmitted on GMRS Frequencies with a HAM radio...................Oh wait.............there NOT. As Randy(Notarubicon) has said time and time again(watch some of his YouTubes videos and you might learn something) the FCCs don't really enforce these Rules/Regulations(they're NOT Laws by the way) unless you do something nefarious like talk about drug deals, terrorist stuff or otherwise mess with other peoples transmissions. If you're out in the desert taking to a couple buddies I really don't think it matters much which radio you use or if you're at the proper power limits.   All this talk makes me think we've got a few "sad hams" in the making here, LOL.

@WSAA635 - I feel like there is one important topic missing in this thread… before picking (or throwing out) a radio, maybe step back and evaluate what you really want from these. Are you playing with these as a hobby, or are you needing/wanting these thing for important/urgent/critical moments.

I’ll guarantee, no matter how much you spend, you won’t be happy with the radio you get, under your current philosophy of use. No perfect radio exists, and you’ll be unhappy with every one of them because another radio is out there that does the thing this one doesn’t. 

As a hobby, you start to accept these trade offs, and just buy another one to play with. As an urgent comms mode, you don’t spam universality with a single piece of equipment. Pick you path first, then find something (or many somethings) that fit that role.

I, as an example, have decided that the combination of FRS/GMRS and MURS suits my needs for operational radio use, so instead of trying to find the all powerful, multi banding, burn your hands do it all, I’ve paired down to a few very solid, very reliable, but limited function, handsets and mobiles, while still buying and playing with all sort of other hobby units that are not my daily drivers.

My main reasons for getting into radio is comms while dove hunting and/or shooting in the desert for truck to truck communication and scanning the 4 DPS/Highway Patrol channels and on a second Airband capable radio scanning the 3 nearby airports. 

I'd mentioned this in another thread. 

I'm not doing anything "urgent" right now but in a Grid Down, SHTF situation I'm sure my radios would be pressed into that role.

On 3/8/2024 at 4:46 PM, WSAA635 said:

I've been having a run of bad luck lately with the radios I've bought.

4 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

My main reasons for getting into radio is comms while dove hunting and/or shooting in the desert for truck to truck communication and scanning the 4 DPS/Highway Patrol channels and on a second Airband capable radio scanning the 3 nearby airports.

Unfortunately, to save money, the Chinese radio industry utilizes doves in their quality control department! 🤣