I'd just like one really nice radio.

I've been having a run of bad luck lately with the radios I've bought. Out of them all I only still have one UV-5R, two UV-82's and my most recent Talkpod A36 Plus(knock on wood that it keeps working). ALL the others have gone back for one reason or another.

I'd like to have just one nice radio to have that's VHF/UHF(airband would also be nice)that CHIRP compatible, easy to set up and program that doesn't need a firmware update that bricks the radio and, if at all possible,(but not totally necessary)10 watts. 

I've been giving the Wouxun 905g a look on Amazon now that it's $100 bucks. I'd like to keep it around $125(maybe $140 for the Yaesu FT-65r) but something that's not going to give me issues like I've been having.  Post up some suggestions that I can find on Amazon and I'll give em' a look. Thanks.

It seems you are looking for a radio that may not exist. At that price range and only on scamazon to be used on GMRS with ham UHF/VHF and AM (air band) reception and 10 watts.

Whats wrong with having 2 radios to cover the ranges you want? You already have more than one radio.

The KG-905 is a GMRS radio.

A while back I recommended the KG-UV9GX https://bettersaferadio.com/wouxun-kg-uv9gx-gmrs-two-way-radio-shtf-scanner/

Covers most of your desires except 10 watts but why do you think you need 10 watts? Won't make any significant difference.

It's even on sale at the moment.

The actaul difference in 5w to 10w on a hand held really isn’t anything.  You’re bound by the antenna, height and lousy ground plane.   My recent favorite is a uv17 pro v2. It’s chirp compatible, all 3 of mine measured 8-8.5w on 462.xxx and no firmware updates.   But I had to wait 8 weeks to get them.   However my uv5r, uv17pro v2s, 905s, and my Motorola xts3000s all transmit the same distance.  No one can tell the difference on the other end. 

I guess "Technically" I have my bases covered with the UV-82(actually comes in at 5.5-6 watts) for GMRS/MURS and scanning Public Safety channels and then Talkpod A36 Plus for GMRS/MURS and Airband scanning. The UV-5R makes a nice beater that I can throw in the center console of the truck so I have something if needed.

I thought the Wouxun 905g was a VHF/UHF dual band radio? I guess I missed something AND I wonder if spending $100 will really get me anything noticeably better than what I already have.  I did have the Wouxun KG-UV9P that I unlocked but could never get Airband on it even though I was suppose to according to the specs. Also, my budget is going to be around $125 so I'll have enough left over to a decent antenna.  That Yaesu FT-65R really does intrigue me though but at $140 it's just at the edge of my price range with nothing left over for a better antenna.

I have not seen anyone complain about the Wouxun KG-935G plus. I do like mine. This has always been my best recommendation for a good GMRS radio.
My Wouxun KG-UV9PX has air band and it is a good ham radio and essentially the same as its GMRS sister the KG-UV9GX that
@WRWE456 recommended. A good recommendation. I like it but I can’t see it in bright daylight very well. I don’t use Air band all that much but I have no issues with it. Rules aside I don’t really see having an unlocked radio as that important unless you have both licenses and just don’t want to carry two radios. I’d rather have a good radio. Amazon has a great return policy but there is something to be said for the support of a good dealer like the people at buy two way radios.  
There is a reason people buy more than one radio (aside from our compulsive need for the next cool thing that I am fully guilty of) and it’s because there isn’t one that does it all and/or does it all better than some do the one thing. My advice, research reviews, think about what you want and collect slowly especially when on a budget because you’re always going to want another. At least I seem to.  
Okay that’s it for now, back to drooling over the Icom ID-52A, and the Yaesu FT-5DR, and and… damn this hobby!

Frank 

For what it’s worth I’m a big fan of the 

Tidradio H8  either the GMRS or the Ham can be unlocked. 
To be honest I had trouble with the first one I had but the company was good about sending me a replacement ant I like it a lot. I have 2 now.

I agree that it isn't worth chasing after a 10 watt hand held, the extra 5 watts won't make a difference. Now you can get the Wouxun KG-10H amateur band HT that covers 1.25m, 2m, 6m, and 70cm right out of the box and it can be unlocked for GMRS. It will also receive air band frequencies. But it is out of your price range if your cap is $140. The KG-10H is $220.

1 hour ago, WSAA635 said:

That Yaesu FT-65R really does intrigue me

Have you considered the Yaesu FT-4XR? It can be opened up for additional frequencies, but you don't get the air band. Like the FT-65, it also appears to be CHIRP-compatible (at least it shows on the CHIRP drop-down menu), and it's (at the time of this post) on sale for $80 at Ham Radio Outlet. If I didn't have a fleet of HTs already, I would get one. Also, at HRO, the FT-65 is on sale for $110. Neither one is the ten-watt powerhouse you're looking for, but they're solid versatile radios.

1 hour ago, WSAA635 said:

That Yaesu FT-65R really does intrigue me though but at $140 it's just at the edge of my price range

I have the FT-65, FT-4, VX-6, VX-7, and FT5DR. The one I use most frequently is the FT-65. But $140 is a stupid high price. 
The most versatile and durable of my radios are the VX models and the FT5DR. I haven’t used them as much as the FT-65, but I intend to work on that. 
Get prices from Gigaparts, HRO, or DXEngineering. 
Gigaparts has the FT65 for $95.

The problem with the "one radio to rule them all" concept is it's the "jack of all trades master of none" thing. For one thing to get good results with all the different bands you need antenna's for each band. An antenna for FM is not going to work well on AM and vice versa. That's likely why the KG-UV9P did not work well on the AM air band. He even says that on the Better Safe Radio site. That you will need a different antenna for air band to work well.

36 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

An antenna for FM is not going to work well on AM and vice versa.

That’s just not true. An antenna has no idea whether AM or FM is flowing through its elements. 
Now if you really meant that an antenna tuned for VHF FM broadcast band is not ideal for AM broadcast band at 550-1600 kHz, I would agree. 

7 hours ago, WRWE456 said:

The problem with the "one radio to rule them all" concept is it's the "jack of all trades master of none" thing. For one thing to get good results with all the different bands you need antenna's for each band. An antenna for FM is not going to work well on AM and vice versa. That's likely why the KG-UV9P did not work well on the AM air band. He even says that on the Better Safe Radio site. That you will need a different antenna for air band to work well.

A common misconception. Tuned antennas are needed for transmitting, not for receiving. The radio receiver tunes any length of wire to the desired frequency but the longer the receiving antenna is, the stronger the received signal. (More surface to pick up signals.)

2 hours ago, BoxCar said:

A common misconception. Tuned antennas are needed for transmitting, not for receiving. The radio receiver tunes any length of wire to the desired frequency but the longer the receiving antenna is, the stronger the received signal. (More surface to pick up signals.)

This is the way I've understood it as well. The tuning of an antenna for low SWR is for transmitting. Receiving just needs area for the incoming signal. 

9 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

This is the way I've understood it as well. The tuning of an antenna for low SWR is for transmitting. Receiving just needs area for the incoming signal. 

It’s not entirely true. The difference between a tuned antenna and a badly tuned antenna is audible. Preliminary manual tuning using a trans-match is done while listening. 

I'm still thinking about the Wouxun KG-905g but it's not in CHIRP Next and WINE isn't playing well with Factory CPS programs. The Yaesu FT-65r is still on my list, especially at $95 bucks from Gigaparts. OR maybe I'll just get another TalkPod A36 Plus and UV-82 and call it a day, LOL. This is worse than all those years ago when I got into firearms. Thank God I've settled down on them and have the 3 or 4 that I actually need/like now. It only took 48 years.😂

The Radioddity GA-510 looks pretty interesting. At $50 with a 15% coupon the price point is good and it's a 10 watt radio that comes close to those specs. Just need to see if it can be unlocked for GMRS use.

P.S.

Ok, so on further review it seems that the GA-510 is the same as the Tidradio TD-H6 and the Baofeng BF-H6.  I've really on the fence with Tidradio. The H3 and H8 weren't good radios IMHO so I'm a bit "gun shy" at getting into another Tidradio. Need further investigation on this radio.

2 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

How about just buy a GMRS radio then buy a HAM radio for other stuff.

Because I like to add VHF/MURS channels as a back up for the GMRS channels. The Yaesu FT-65r seems like it'd work but $95 for a SOC radio seems pricy. Wouxun KG-905g would be nice if it was CHIRP supported but it's not. 

I may just drop back and punt and get another A36 Plus and be done with it for a while.