NB question on the MTX 275

WSBP830

Question

14 answers to this question

SQ is in the manual.  On the 275, there is S9 in the spot that supposed to be SQ. 
Don't have the radio. But I am going to infer that "s9" = squelch is set to 9 out of 10.

Hopefully, someone with the radio can confirm.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, WSBP830 said:

SQ is in the manual.  On the 275, there is S9 in the spot that supposed to be SQ. 

Are you sure that the second character in S9 isn’t just the way the LCD displays a lower case ”q”?

Here are the instructions:

To adjust the Squelch Sensitivity:
1. Press the Menu button to place the radio in “Menu” mode.
2. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll through the menu
options until the LCD display shows Sq.
3. Press the Lock button to confirm your selection
4. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll forward or back- ward to select the desired squelch level, from 01 to 09.
▪ The default squelch setting is 04, which generally provides reliable squelch operation for most applications.
5. When the desired squelch level is shown on the LCD display, press
the Lock button to confirm your selection. YOU MUST PRESS THE LOCK BUTTON TO CONFIRM YOUR SELECTION OR THE SQUELCH SENSITIVITY WILL NOT BE CHANGED.

Or not worry about it. I have the 275. Ive never needed to nor worried about squelch. I installed it, turned it on and talk to other jeeps. Simple. 
If there was no squelch any channel without a tone would stay open. Then scan would be useless.

Again it is probably the s9.. turn it down to s1 and see if the frequency stays open.

EDIT: Just saw a clip on the 575.. squelch only shows s9. Then you can set squelch. Maybe the new 275s have newer firmware that mimic the 575.

6min 20 seconds in.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

Or not worry about it. I have the 275. Ive never needed to nor worried about squelch. I installed it, turned it on and talk to other jeeps. Simple. 

That’s funny.  If squelch was not active you would just hear open static all the time.  Trust me if it wasn’t already set you would have been worried about it.   Plus many people use gmrs for more than just jeeping with friends.  That honestly could be handled with FRS bubble packs.   

13 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

That’s funny.  If squelch was not active you would just hear open static all the time.  Trust me if it wasn’t already set you would have been worried about it.   Plus many people use gmrs for more than just jeeping with friends.  That honestly could be handled with FRS bubble packs.   

This!

The directions clearly state that the default squelch is 04.

@WSBP830, I really suspect that when the display says S9, it really is saying Sq, but the LCD character is the same for a 9 or a lower case Q, and the next step should be to press the LOCK button, then use the volume up and down buttons to adjust the squelch.

The squelch Level is not indicated as S9, or S1, S2, S3, etc.  It’s indicated as 01 - 09, but not until you push the LOCK button after navigating to the Sq menu.

3 hours ago, gortex2 said:

My point was default out of the box it doesn't need set. Its already set to a level. 

Every radio is ALWAYS set to a default level.  Ever single one. Might be zero might be 10.    It’s a matter of it that squelch setting is right for you.  If you have never messed with it you may be getting too much junk or you may be missing out on transmissions you may need or want to hear.   This is the difference in a gmrs user that just buys an over priced midland and tosses it in the jeep or a gmrs user that wants or need the most out of their radio.  Me I use my $100 20w base station for 200miles transmissions every day and my mobiles to talk 50-60 miles.   I need those comms since cell is spotty at best where I’m at.  Others like your self just talk on the trail a few 100yards at most and don’t care.  

33 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Every radio is ALWAYS set to a default level.  Ever single one. Might be zero might be 10.    It’s a matter of it that squelch setting is right for you.  If you have never messed with it you may be getting too much junk or you may be missing out on transmissions you may need or want to hear.   This is the difference in a gmrs user that just buys an over priced midland and tosses it in the jeep or a gmrs user that wants or need the most out of their radio.  Me I use my $100 20w base station for 200miles transmissions every day and my mobiles to talk 50-60 miles.   I need those comms since cell is spotty at best where I’m at.  Others like your self just talk on the trail a few 100yards at most and don’t care.  

Apparently you dont read the forums. I know very well what SQL is used for and I have been doing GMRS for over 30 years. I use it for more than just trail riding and have for years. I run the midlandso n the trail. I have a $15,000 APX 8500 HP that I use for work and it doesn't have a SQL setting that needs touched either. Yes there are times it needs adjusted but in 99% of daily life no one needs an adjustment anymore. This isn't CB days or early HAM days of noise all over. But sorry your a resident radio expert on the web so apparently all my certifications and work experiance is useless. 

Sadly all you keyboard warriers with $100 CCRs that talk hundreds of miles seem to be smarter than all the manufacturers. Think of all the money your county, state and towns could save buy CCR instead of quality radios and they can talk a hundred miles.... smh...