Repeater Newbie

Q: Is all this as simple as putting the same repeater information on my two GMRS-PROs and...they will talk to each other instantly through my local repeater (whose information I confirmed)?  

I first tested my two radios at home, and they talked perfectly to one another on GMRS CH 22 and Local Repeater 16 (20 mi radius).  Then I left one at home with my wife and I drove out with my other radio to do a distance check across mostly same elevation land near our river.  We started on GMRS 22 until our communication became broken after a mile.  Then we switched to the repeater and...it was worse!

Any thoughts?

b

How far away from the repeater were you? Anything in the way? Mountains trees? Ect?  Did you stop and get out of the truck?   Stand on top?   People think repeaters are some type of magic.   They are just 2 radios hooked up to eachother and usually up high on a hill.  With only a 20mile radius for transmitt the repeater is either very weak or you live in hilly or woodsy area or urban.  Most 50w repeaters got 50-100 miles or more.  Your hand held is going to get a mile or 2 or up to 20-30miles depending on line of site. 

21 minutes ago, WRZD720 said:

Hi!  I was using it inside the cab of my truck with no outside antenna.  And...it was lightly raining.  But both radios have a Nagoya 771 whip antenna attached. 

That won't work. You need to be outside the car or use an outside antenna connected to the radio. RF can barely get out of the car. You lose most of your transmit power. 

Ah...OK.  Will go do another test now.  The weather is good.  I'll get out of the truck each time I stop.  But sounds like I need to invest in an outside antenna immediately.  Any recommendations for something that would connect to my handheld or is that silly?  IOW, do I need to purchase a mobile under-dash radio to be able to talk while driving?

27 minutes ago, WRZD720 said:

Ah...OK.  Will go do another test now.  The weather is good.  I'll get out of the truck each time I stop.  But sounds like I need to invest in an outside antenna immediately.  Any recommendations for something that would connect to my handheld or is that silly?  IOW, do I need to purchase a mobile under-dash radio to be able to talk while driving?

Depending on your truck, you might use a magnet mounted Tram or Nagoya. you will also probably need an adapter for your radio (depending on the connector on the antenna cable).

There are vehicle specific mounts (what truck make/model/year do you have?) and options for front hood, rear stake body or 3rd brake light. if you have an aluminum body or for instance you have racks and such. Or just hate the idea of putting a magnet on the paint.

Long term, you may need to drill a hole somewhere to run cable for a permanent installation.

I get great coverage using a Tram 1180, fender mounted, cable running through the firewall. It's driver side front mounted. All in I think I spent about $110 because I used a firewall boot and a stainless steel mount. YMMV

I do not have this radio so here is a question for those that do. I couldn’t help notice that “talk around” has a check next to it. Does that mean it’s enabled? What I’m asking is with this checked is the TX going to the repeater?

see @WRZD720’s image above 

1 hour ago, WRZD720 said:

IOW, do I need to purchase a mobile under-dash radio to be able to talk while driving?

If you're talking about legally like hands free laws, then you would need to check your local laws to see if a radio needs to be hard-mounted with a microphone.  If you're talking about power-wise, I often use an HT with a mag mount and that 5 watts does fine with my local repeaters that are 5,000 feet up and 15-20 miles away.