Are they ignoring me?

PuddlePirate

Question

I lve in a heavily treed mountain area of Payson/Star Valley, AZ. I can hear lots of people talking on simplex and repeater channels and have asked for a radio check many times with very little respone.  I have tested with a Radiodity 5w and  Midland 50W at 7.5miles (no line of sight) with a an excellent results both on repeater ch and simplex. Base antenna is a Tram 1477-B dual band 6db (43" fiberglass) roof mount approx 20' high. My SWR is very poor at 2.6/2.7 and pwr reading of only 22w using surecom 33 meter.  I doubt switching antennas will help my pwr situation  but will going with a 3db antenna help my "FARS" ?🙂

25 answers to this question

You're probably hearing repeater traffic.  Remember, GMRS channels 15-22 are also the receive frequencies for repeaters RPT15-22.

Since you don't have the tones set they simply can't hear you. Try looking up the repeaters in your area and program in the input and output tones then see if you'll get a response. 

Your SWR is bad you are losing a ton of power not including loss due to coax. The surecom is an in line power meter so depending on where you are measuring you may be just measuring power out of the radio. That antenna has pretty narrow range on UHF and may just not work for GMRS.

2 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

You're probably hearing repeater traffic.  Remember, GMRS channels 15-22 are also the receive frequencies for repeaters RPT15-22.

Since you don't have the tones set they simply can't hear you. Try looking up the repeaters in your area and program in the input and output tones then see if you'll get a response. 

I have set the tone (or at least I think I have) when I key on the repeater channel it indicates a 06 code 82.5 for the diamobd point575 with a rx freq 462.575.

3 minutes ago, nokones said:

Make sure that you are CSQ on the receive frequency and that you're on RP16 to transmit on 467.575 for Diamond Point.

Make sure that you are CSQ on the receive frequency and that you're on RP16 to transmit on 467.575 for Diamond Point.

I am tx on RP16 but new to this and dont know what "CSQ" means (sorry)

1 minute ago, PuddlePirate said:

I am tx on RP16 but new to this and dont know what "CSQ" means (sorry)

No tone or code protection on the receive channel. Diamond Pt. does not transmit any tone out nor does any of the 575 transmitters up in that area. CSQ means Carrier Squelch.

You are practically under the repeater so the power loss you are experiencing shouldn't prevent you from hitting the repeater, you'll probably just not hearing it if you have a tone set on the receive channel.

ok again new at this does this meanI tx on 16rp w/ tone and rx on simplex 16 no tone?

1 minute ago, nokones said:

I'll be back home in a couple hours. When I get back I'll check and see if the repeater is up running. The repeater owner has been doing some upgrading on his repeaters lately.

They are up I'm hearing their frq identifier, time stamp an wx report just fine

14 minutes ago, PuddlePirate said:

They are up I'm hearing their frq identifier, time stamp an wx report just fine

Well, if you are hearing the Station ID'r then you should be hearing the repeater with no problem. Just make sure that you have your radio set for Repeater Channel 16 with the 82.5 Hz tone set only on the transmit side and when you key it you should hear the repeater squelch tail when you unkey.

When I get home, I can walk you through setting up the link on Diamond Pt. so I can talk to you from Sun City West through the  Shaw Butte repeater link. You will need to set up another channel and transmit 467.575 with the DPL D065N code and receive 462.575 with no tone/code on receive. The Midland code for DPL D065N is DCS "10".

What is your Callsign?

21 minutes ago, nokones said:

Well, if you are hearing the Station ID'r then you should be hearing the repeater with no problem. Just make sure that you have your radio set for Repeater Channel 16 with the 82.5 Hz tone set only on the transmit side and when you key it you should hear the repeater squelch tail when you unkey.

When I get home, I can walk you through setting up the link on Diamond Pt. so I can talk to you from Sun City West through the  Shaw Butte repeater link. You will need to set up another channel and transmit 467.575 with the DPL D065N code and receive 462.575 with no tone/code on receive. The Midland code for DPL D065N is DCS "10".

What is your Callsign?

WSAC215 Thanks