Repeater Permission

There's no one short of you or your banker to tell you to put up a repeater. Just you. Not the FCC, and no one in the city, county, or state. However, if you want to use someone's repeater, you ask permission to do so. I own a couple repeaters, and I ask users so I know who is using my machines. A NODE is a device with an internet address for you to link a radio or repeater to other radios or repeaters.

This radio service does not have frequency coordinators like the various services do in the Part 90 world. It's still the Wild Wild West and if you're in the eastern portion of the country It's still the Wild Wild West.

You are free to do whatever you want as long you are compliant with the applicable Part 95, Subparts A and E.

It would be helpful to monitor the repeater frequency/frequencies you are planning to use (with no RX tones set) for a couple of weeks to see if anyone else close to you is already using them. Just because a repeater isn't listed in a database doesn't mean someone isn't using one near you. Some people have repeaters they use for family only. Even though there is no repeater coordination you are still required to not cause interference.