Wrvg559

Can two 2 repeaters work together from opposite ends of ranch
Handheld to repeater 1 to repeater 2 to Handheld 2

Illegally yes. Unlike ham, gmrs repeater pairs are channelized and the repeater pairs are pre-assigned. This includes input and output frequencies on gmrs.

Someone tried it locally by reversing a repeater pair. Which on gmrs is illegal.

You can, run into a host of issues. One of the big ones is looping between the 2 repeaters, until one times out or burns up. Whole host of reasons not to.

Usually, easy fix is get the antenna about 100 feet up in the air (tower, tree, building) clear of obstruction. Then you'll average 12-18 miles of foot print (give or take 35 watts). Of course, mileage will vary with terrain and with repeater wattage/equipment.

May I ask what spurred this thought process?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Illegally yes. Unlike ham, gmrs repeater pairs are channelized and the repeater pairs are pre-assigned. This includes input and output frequencies on gmrs.

Someone tried it locally by reversing a repeater pair. Which on gmrs is illegal.

You can, run into a host of issues. One of the big ones is looping between the 2 repeaters, until one times out or burns up. Whole host of reasons not to.

Usually, easy fix is get the antenna about 100 feet up in the air (tower, tree, building) clear of obstruction. Then you'll average 12-18 miles of foot print (give or take 35 watts). Of course, mileage will vary with terrain and with repeater wattage/equipment.

May I ask what spurred this thought process?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Really so you can’t link gmrs repeaters together ? After doing some reading I guess it can be done via internet, that’s a real bummer. So when shtf happens and the internet goes out communication through those repeaters are dead. Is it the same for ham?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, WSBB368 said:

Really so you can’t link gmrs repeaters together ? After doing some reading I guess it can be done via internet, that’s a real bummer. So when shtf happens and the internet goes out communication through those repeaters are dead. Is it the same for ham?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it would be the same for all linked repeaters no matter what band they use since linking is done over the internet.

34 minutes ago, WSBB368 said:

Really so you can’t link gmrs repeaters together ?

This is one of the great debates on this site and others. The GMRS Part 95 rules seem to say linking repeaters is forbidden. Lots of folks here and on other sites interpret the rules differently and believe it is permissible. I have my own opinions on linking GMRS repeaters, but alas they are just my opinions. Amateur radio does allow linked repeaters, and in fact there are many. 

Yeah I'm new to this and didn't know repeaters were linked via the internet. So question because this is what I'm concerned about so when the internet goes down basically were all going to be stuck on simplex or the area one repeater may cover because they will not be linked? 

Just now, WSBB368 said:

Yeah I'm new to this and didn't know repeaters were linked via the internet. So question because this is what I'm concerned about so when the internet goes down basically were all going to be stuck on simplex or the area one repeater may cover because they will not be linked? 

GMRS is just one form of radio communications. The intent, if you will, of GMRS is short-range communication. Repeaters vastly extend that range. That makes GMRS very valuable for SHTF communications. Lots of us here are licensed for amateur radio and GMRS, and as is often said here, having multiple ways to communicate increases your likelihood of successful communications. If linked repeaters are important to you, an amateur radio license would be a definite advantage. 

14 hours ago, WRVG559 said:

Can two 2 repeaters work together from opposite ends of ranch

How big is the ranch? One centrally located repeater with an antenna at 30’ or higher should easily cover 3-5 miles. If there is no power available in the middle of the ranch you could always set up a small solar powered repeater relatively cheap.

A repeater or radio's coverage/distance will definitely depend on location, terrain, foliage, buildings, noise floor, height of antenna, etc. We are getting about a 30 to 35 mile radius with our repeater and the antennas are 400 feet above ground here in Mid Missouri. We are using a Bridgecom repeater.

Your best option is to get 1 repeater really high up. Like 50 to 100 ft high. At least. I can talk 30 miles+ on my 40ft base no gain antenna to HTs. So if youre at least that tall you should be able to do a ranch assuming you don't have rolling hills on it.