Jump to content

UV-5G Plus Charging Analysis


TNWEB

Recommended Posts

I picked up the twin pack of the UV-5G Plus last week at Radioddity. The primary factor in choosing this model (my first GMRS radio) was that the batteries are chargeable via the included USB-C cable and AC adapter.

Since these batteries supply a nominal 7.4VDC to the radio, I was curious as to what the charging voltage and current was for this setup. As per the attached photo, I found the voltage and current were consistent at 5.2V and 0.7A across the entire 4-5 hour charge cycle. Since the batteries normal operating range is from 7.0v to 8.4v we can conclude that the batteries have an internal step-up circuit to boost the charge voltage to an appropriate level.

The USB charging capability will be useful in the field as I can use either the USB ports on my PowerWerx box, cell phone chargers, or truck USB ports.

 

20240317_131247350_iOS.thumb.jpg.98389c87ee6cce49ad245d4a86bdad2f.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i have wondered about this also.  Since charging by USB is becoming more popular and if a USB phone charger is a standard 5 Volts, wouldn't either the battery itself and/or the desktop charger unit must have circuitry to raise the charging voltage up somewhat?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WSAM454 said:

i have wondered about this also.  Since charging by USB is becoming more popular and if a USB phone charger is a standard 5 Volts, wouldn't either the battery itself and/or the desktop charger unit must have circuitry to raise the charging voltage up somewhat?

Good guess! Boost converters can be designed and built in a very small volume these days if only a few watts are required. And as you assumed it's built into the battery pack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have a solution, but I do have a question.

Does anyone make a desktop charger for these batteries? USB C is cool, but it seems Baofeng would be "leaving money on the table" by not at least offering one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Knilc said:

I don't have a solution, but I do have a question.

Does anyone make a desktop charger for these batteries? USB C is cool, but it seems Baofeng would be "leaving money on the table" by not at least offering one.

Doesn't the UV-5G+ use the same battery mold as the classic UV-5R? And if so, wouldn't the desktop cup chargers for the UV-5R will work?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WRYS709 said:

Doesn't the UV-5G+ use the same battery mold as the classic UV-5R? And if so, wouldn't the desktop cup chargers for the UV-5R will work?

No.  The batteries are different sizes (width and thickness), and the contact plates are in different locations:

Battery on left is for the UV-5G Plus, on the right is the standard capacity battery for the UV-5R.

IMG_2833.thumb.jpeg.bb6595dfa85ca210b6432a3aa77b08a8.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

Doesn't the UV-5G+ use the same battery mold as the classic UV-5R? And if so, wouldn't the desktop cup chargers for the UV-5R will work?

 

One would imagine, but the UV-5R charger cup is too small. 

 

50 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

@Knilc It appears that the UV-5RM is the ham version of the UV-5G Plus. This charger should work.

 

It definitely looks that way. Thanks for the link.

 

Thanks for answering my unrelated question, guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.