UV-5G Plus Charging Analysis

TNWEB

I picked up the twin pack of the UV-5G Plus last week at Radioddity. The primary factor in choosing this model (my first GMRS radio) was that the batteries are chargeable via the included USB-C cable and AC adapter.

Since these batteries supply a nominal 7.4VDC to the radio, I was curious as to what the charging voltage and current was for this setup. As per the attached photo, I found the voltage and current were consistent at 5.2V and 0.7A across the entire 4-5 hour charge cycle. Since the batteries normal operating range is from 7.0v to 8.4v we can conclude that the batteries have an internal step-up circuit to boost the charge voltage to an appropriate level.

The USB charging capability will be useful in the field as I can use either the USB ports on my PowerWerx box, cell phone chargers, or truck USB ports.

20240317_131247350_iOS.thumb.jpg.98389c87ee6cce49ad245d4a86bdad2f.jpg

i have wondered about this also.  Since charging by USB is becoming more popular and if a USB phone charger is a standard 5 Volts, wouldn't either the battery itself and/or the desktop charger unit must have circuitry to raise the charging voltage up somewhat?

6 minutes ago, WSAM454 said:

i have wondered about this also.  Since charging by USB is becoming more popular and if a USB phone charger is a standard 5 Volts, wouldn't either the battery itself and/or the desktop charger unit must have circuitry to raise the charging voltage up somewhat?

Good guess! Boost converters can be designed and built in a very small volume these days if only a few watts are required. And as you assumed it's built into the battery pack.

I don't have a solution, but I do have a question.

Does anyone make a desktop charger for these batteries? USB C is cool, but it seems Baofeng would be "leaving money on the table" by not at least offering one.

39 minutes ago, Knilc said:

I don't have a solution, but I do have a question.

Does anyone make a desktop charger for these batteries? USB C is cool, but it seems Baofeng would be "leaving money on the table" by not at least offering one.

Doesn't the UV-5G+ use the same battery mold as the classic UV-5R? And if so, wouldn't the desktop cup chargers for the UV-5R will work?

1 hour ago, WRYS709 said:

Doesn't the UV-5G+ use the same battery mold as the classic UV-5R? And if so, wouldn't the desktop cup chargers for the UV-5R will work?

No.  The batteries are different sizes (width and thickness), and the contact plates are in different locations:

Battery on left is for the UV-5G Plus, on the right is the standard capacity battery for the UV-5R.

IMG_2833.thumb.jpeg.bb6595dfa85ca210b6432a3aa77b08a8.jpeg

2 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

One would imagine, but the UV-5R charger cup is too small. 

50 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

@Knilc It appears that the UV-5RM is the ham version of the UV-5G Plus. This charger should work.

It definitely looks that way. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for answering my unrelated question, guys.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 7:11 AM, SpeedSpeak2Me said:

No.  The batteries are different sizes (width and thickness), and the contact plates are in different locations:

Battery on left is for the UV-5G Plus, on the right is the standard capacity battery for the UV-5R.

IMG_2833.thumb.jpeg.bb6595dfa85ca210b6432a3aa77b08a8.jpeg

The 5G battery looks identical to the UV-5RM 10 watt ham radio. I am sure that charger would work.