Solar Panels to charge a typical 1500mAh HT battery

WRXB215

Question

11 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Are there any inexpensive ($100 or less) solar panels that will charge a 1500mAh battery like a typical Baofeng battery?

Thanks

You need more than just a solar panel. The battery pack they use is a Lithium Ion type and has very specific charge requirements. That is satisfied by the charger base. You need a solar panel and some type of regulator to keep the input to the charger base within specifications. DO NOT try to charge the battery pack directly off the solar panel!

Most solar panels for low to medium power applications output up to 20 to 22 volts DC, likely way to high for the charger base. You can use a DC to DC converter with a wide input voltage range and a fixed output voltage to feed the charger base.

The Baofeng charger base has an input of 10 VDC, 12 VDC would likely work OK. Then you need  DC to DC converter that would take a wide input voltage range from the solar panel and output a fixed 12 VDC. One example, don't take this as a recommendation, is at the following link.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/SPBW06F-12/7707012

Datasheet specifications.

https://mm.digikey.com/Volume0/opasdata/d220001/medias/docus/2289/SPBW06%2CDPBW06_Ds.pdf

The input voltage range is 9 to 36 VDC so this should cover a 5 watt solar panel. You can find some 5 watt solar panels on line. I've attached some photos of a few I have. You'll likely pay around $20 to $30 for one. You'll also need some cable and connectors to wire in the DC to DC converter and connect to the charger base.

Baofeng Charger Base.JPG

Solarverter.pdf Solarland SLP005-12.pdf 5 Watt No Name Light Aluminum Frame Solar Panel.pdf

2 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Your USB charger is a fixed 5 VDC at either 1 or 2 amps of current. You will need something to provide that. If it's 2 amps then you'll need at least a 10+ watt solar panel for power, more like 15 watts. The DC to DC converter would need to supply 5 volts DC at the required current. The input voltage range would be about the same as in the Baofeng case.

Thanks, I'm going to work on this for a while. I'll post the specifics of what I come up with prior to purchasing or building anything. I'll include each radio/battery I want to charge and the specific solution for each. Hopefully there won't be more than two. 😁

6 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Are there any inexpensive ($100 or less) solar panels that will charge a 1500mAh battery like a typical Baofeng battery?

Thanks

Yes many. Anything that will charge a cell phone will charge a radio that has a usb charge port.  I have seen them from $15- $100 or more.   Just look for a cell phone Solar charger. Also some have solar and built in batterys for battery back up.  

23 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Thanks

Look to see what voltage is required by the battery charger cradle and pick any solar panel that provides that voltage. All of my chargers are 12 volt, so any solar panel that has a 12 volt dc output would work. 

7 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Look to see what voltage is required by the battery charger cradle and pick any solar panel that provides that voltage. All of my chargers are 12 volt, so any solar panel that has a 12 volt dc output would work. 

Didn’t even think of the factory charger.  I’m so used to USB at this point. 

12 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

@Lscott Thanks for the info. That takes care of the UV-5R but what about something like the GM-15 Pro or MP31 that has USB charge? I should have mentioned these earlier. Would a DC to DC converter be required for these?

Thanks again.

Your USB charger is a fixed 5 VDC at either 1 or 2 amps of current. You will need something to provide that. If it's 2 amps then you'll need at least a 10+ watt solar panel for power, more like 15 watts. The DC to DC converter would need to supply 5 volts DC at the required current. The input voltage range would be about the same as in the Baofeng case.

25 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Thanks, I'm going to work on this for a while. I'll post the specifics of what I come up with prior to purchasing or building anything. I'll include each radio/battery I want to charge and the specific solution for each. Hopefully there won't be more than two. 😁

LSCOTT is exactly right.  I misunderstood.  I didn't think you were asking about bare solar panels.  I was thinking about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Voltset-Monocrystalline-Maintainer-Controller-Adjustable/dp/B0BWY64QTY/ref=sr_1_18?crid=1YA190Q0J4BCY&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.UFORvyZPz9hX16ZkYOieLvSoZf2AeTtihePIabvzvswDlLOxbMybjD_PnMFkIRvFZEOKXI9RWCfWKzO6bGQNn5GmXRA2SYHvY6DTxa1xibf_8aPd_X-anRAPRST0MGeQJPsZS9banSPxiQt-48S-MFaf6G-yYqCFXUYWgx-zRWZ3LOzzNsMka9xxuYki9jrkkozokBrseFOASjhkrKhX65ddhM-4EN9_K9zSIG0W16o.tEl-hZ7jYPYuOne3HUALp-oKIQikxHG0qHETspUh6Xo&dib_tag=se&keywords=solar+charger&qid=1710879012&sprefix=solar+cha%2Caps%2C358&sr=8-18

Anyway, I appreciate the question because it knocked me off TDC and got me to order one.  There's a 20% off coupon also so the total is under $40.  

There are plenty of small 30-60 watt solar panels on Amazon that have USB support. That being said it's best to charge a small power station and use that to charge equipment. Generally I like to over provision my solar panels since you'll normally get about 80% efficiency and it's nice to have a bit more power for overcast days. I have a lot of solar videos on my YouTube channel, it's something that I think is a must for anyone who wants to be prepared.   Here's a couple I can recommend since I have both.

http://www.amazon.com/ELECAENTA-Portable-Charging-Lightweight-Generator/dp/B0BT9LCTM8?ref_=ast_sto_dp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BNVLHN29?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title