Interference on 462.5325 MHZ Oakland Co Michigan

Guest SignallyCurious

Guest SignallyCurious

Hi! Recently licensed GMRS user, having issues with a nearby DMR repeater that i do not believe is licensed. Its blasting through all the channels on my TIDH8 10w handheld at home which makes taking to anyone difficult. 

This is on woodward between 13 and 14 mile in royal oak. I searched fcc licenses and the only nearby business confirmed it was not from him. I also see the same signal key up on 462.575 as well. 

Guest Aware User

Hi,

Like anything else, the rules only apply to those who follow them. 

I have decoded DMR messages via SDR Trunk on 462.5325 MHZ - someone’s using it 

what do?

As noted 462.5325 is not a GMRS channel/frequency. Now 462.575 is definitely a GMRS channel/frequency. 462.575 is channel 16 simplex and repeater channel 16 for the repeater output.

It will be interesting to know what you find out.

Given you mention this is happening with your TIDH8, can you verify you experience the same issue on other radios? I have a td-h8 as well, and it’s very prone to bleed over from near frequency channels (if the local .600 repeater is transmitting, I can see the .6125 (ch3) indicate as busy, and even sometimes get a squelch opening on it) 

Even more so, in my case, I have a local farm operation running a rtk location beacon repeater (fcc registered and properly setup) on a nearby but not Gmrs frequency and I’ll hear the beacon tone on certain channels once in a while. 

So it may very well be a case of a cheap radio and not really interference, but like others have said, will be watching to see what you find out.

1 minute ago, WRZE995 said:

Given you mention this is happening with your TIDH8, can you verify you experience the same issue on other radios? I have a td-h8 as well, and it’s very prone to bleed over from near frequency channels (if the local .600 repeater is transmitting, I can see the .6125 (ch3) indicate as busy, and even sometimes get a squelch opening on it) 

Even more so, in my case, I have a local farm operation running a rtk location beacon repeater (fcc registered and properly setup) on a nearby but not Gmrs frequency and I’ll hear the beacon tone on certain channels once in a while. 

So it may very well be a case of a cheap radio and not really interference, but like others have said, will be watching to see what you find out.

Yes, I’m using a RSP1A SDR also 

https://streamable.com/gsda12

So I can’t see enough of the SDR to tell, but your radio was clearly set on 5325, which others have also mentioned is not within the GMRS frequency space. Does the SDR also show 575 with the interference matching the radio behavior? 

@SignallyCurious2 we are not doubting you about what you are hearing. A properly setup 70cm DMR repeater should not be bleeding over onto GMRS channels. And the frequency in the thread title isn't even a GMRS channel or an authorized 70cm band frequency. I saw that you asked this question on the Radio Reference forum too.

9 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

@SignallyCurious2 we are not doubting you about what you are hearing. A properly setup 70cm DMR repeater should not be bleeding over onto GMRS channels. And the frequency in the thread title isn't even a GMRS channel or an authorized 70cm band frequency. I saw that you asked this question on the Radio Reference forum too.

I guess the overall point is - it’s clearly a non licensed transmitter that causes interference all day at my home on GMRS, rendering it useless. 

What’s the proper way to solve the problem?

You can try to find out who it is that is causing the interference and then send them a polite letter informing them what is going on. After that, you can contact the FCC. Or you can just contact the FCC from the start.

16 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

You can try to find out who it is that is causing the interference and then send them a polite letter informing them what is going on. After that, you can contact the FCC. Or you can just contact the FCC from the start.

I submitted a FCC consumer complaint and am headed out shortly to track it down. 

I’ll update when I know more 

10 minutes ago, markskjerve said:

You are probably picking up is actually 462.53125 MHz. It's licensed to DeltaCom, tower is located in Southfield, MI is a 32.0 km radius with a MO8 station class license (Trunked Centralized Mobiles) licensed for up to 100 radios.

It is not, the gentlemen at delta com has confirmed this already. 

3 minutes ago, SignallyCurious2 said:

It is not, the gentlemen at delta com has confirmed this already. 

It's so close that I don't know if most radios could tell the difference, especially in wide band. Not a lot of difference between 462.5325 and 462.53125. 

Ether way, if it's its illegal good luck getting the FCC to do anything about it. There is a illegal encrypted DMR repeater near me that runs on 462.700 that has been reported countless times over the last year by lot's of folks. FCC hasn't done much about it. It's forced a local repeater to change frequencies and has rendered the frequency unusable.

58 minutes ago, markskjerve said:

It's so close that I don't know if most radios could tell the difference, especially in wide band. Not a lot of difference between 462.5325 and 462.53125. 

Ether way, if it's its illegal good luck getting the FCC to do anything about it. There is an illegal encrypted DMR repeater near me that runs on 462.700 that has been reported countless times over the last year by lot's of folks. FCC hasn't done much about it. It's forced a local repeater to change frequencies and has rendered the frequency unusable.

im using a RSP1A SDR, the gentleman at delta com keyed up all his freqs from his repeater and it’s not him. The signal is within .5 miles of my home location, I’m out direction finding now. 

if there’s a will, there’s a way. 

11 minutes ago, SignallyCurious2 said:

I’m out direction finding now. 

I would be interested in knowing what you find out. My work office is by 14 Mile and John-R. That's only about a half dozen miles or so from where you're looking.

1 minute ago, Lscott said:

I would be interested in knowing what you find out. My work office is by 14 Mile and John-R. That's only about a half dozen miles or so from where you're looking.

I believe it to be a business on the corner of Normandy and Coolidge, I’m over in the small industrial court and it’s peaking at -22db with a noise floor of -68db. It seems to only be active 9-5 PM and currently they seem to be on lunch, no traffic. 

15 minutes ago, SignallyCurious2 said:

I believe it to be a business on the corner of Normandy and Coolidge, I’m over in the small industrial court and it’s peaking at -22db with a noise floor of -68db. It seems to only be active 9-5 PM and currently they seem to be on lunch, no traffic. 

I bet it’s a hotspot with problems. See if you hear anything in the 70 cm range. 

26 minutes ago, SignallyCurious2 said:

I see several company's in that area:

Flex-N-Gate (large comlex)

Thierry Corp

Dixon and Ryan Corp

United Resin Corp

ArborOakland Group

Bowlero Lanes and Lounge (almost on the NW corner)

17 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Flex-N-Gate is licensed for 462.5125MHz per FCC database. Emission is narrow band FM.

Plant location in database is BATTLE CREEK, MI CALHOUN County.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=3494581

I wonder if somebody was miss programming radios for DMR and they ended up at the R.O. location.

Good eye!

the gentleman at delta com plans on reaching out to them to see if this is the case. 

are they allowed to operated an encrypted DMR repeater? The message blocks I’ve decoded all highlight encryption and I’m only able to get broken voice transmissions. 

46 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Flex-N-Gate is licensed for 462.5125MHz per FCC database. Emission is narrow band FM.

Plant location in database is BATTLE CREEK, MI CALHOUN County.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=3494581

I wonder if somebody was miss programming radios for DMR and they ended up at the R.O. location.

I spotted that as well but figured it was highly unlikely. 90 miles away from Oakland County (where the OP said he was) - also licensed for 2 watts.