Latest Chirp Download...Unsafe?

Hey there, just wondering if anyone is getting a issue that when trying to update Chirp Next its coming up as being unsafe and removed by anti virus as soon as i try to download the latest version

15 hours ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

Chirp almost always gets bonked as a virus.  So do a lot of the good programming cable drivers. 

I have found that a lot of other radio programming software gets flagged by Windoze too.

My main everyday computer is my 2018 Mac Mini. I prefer using OEM radio software for my TYT and Wouxun radios which only run on Windoze. I also fins that other amateur radio programs such as WSJT-X and Grid Tracker work well on WIndoze. My other hobby is model trains and most the software for that is Windoze only. So my Dell is used mostly for radios and model trains only. 

15 hours ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

Chirp almost always gets bonked as a virus.  So do a lot of the good programming cable drivers. 

In my case Norton (not Windows) didn’t complain about the executable having a virus; it identified the website as a known problem site, which might be more related to information about users being discovered in phishing attacks. 

As far as I am concerned, all Chirp software is garbage. Dangerous? Thanks to Chirp I once "bricked" a mobile radio I wanted to program. That was a $200 mistake that I never intend to repeat. Could've been worse though. Could've been a $500 mistake. Or a $1,200 mistake. Or worse... 

On 3/25/2024 at 10:08 AM, Sshannon said:

In my case Norton (not Windows) didn’t complain about the executable having a virus; it identified the website as a known problem site, which might be more related to information about users being discovered in phishing attacks. 

yes thats what i have is Norton and it flagged the new version from being installed and removed it, didnt even give me the option that it normally does to mark it as safe. Still running the old version

Windows machines will always flag it as a virus, unless they decided to get WHQL certified with Microsoft. You can set a rule in your antivirus/windows defender for chirp so it will stop telling you its a virus. 3rd party antivirus will work the same as well, but normally its better then windows defender as they will identify some programs as safe just not certified with Microsoft, but t hey will allow to install without issues in some instances. BitDefender is really good, and there is a free version it's probably the top rated AV and its free unless you want all the bells and whistles.