What's with the repeater drama?

On 4/8/2024 at 9:07 PM, WRXP381 said:

Gmrs is never “discrete”.  Even with “cleaver use…” is still not discrete in any way.  

Look up the definition of "discrete".  It does not mean private, just separate and distinct.

Others can still hear you but you are unlikely to hear them.  Thr chances of someone being heard by you randomly is less that 0.5%.  Of course, they could find your PL filter, enter it into their radio, then call you, and it would be legal in a d**khead kind of way.  Lets hope THEY are few on our GMRS.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:58 PM, kirk5056 said:

Look up the definition of "discrete".  It does not mean private, just separate and distinct.

Others can still hear you but you are unlikely to hear them.  Thr chances of someone being heard by you randomly is less that 0.5%.  Of course, they could find your PL filter, enter it into their radio, then call you, and it would be legal in a d**khead kind of way.  Lets hope THEY are few on our GMRS.

It's not a d***head thing to be on a tone simplex.. People forget that the purpose of GMRS isn't the big social club thing. It's for parties to use, sometimes for practical things.. It's what most of GMRS SHOULD be..

it's. not. ham. radio.

That reminder is needed more than it should be..

On 4/13/2024 at 1:58 PM, kirk5056 said:

I re-read your post and i think you're actually calling the tone searcher and bother-er the DH. Yes. You're correct and on my team..

12 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Its just people talking.. Many in Spanish.. its not "a complete zoo", its just busy.

very busy, people purposely stepping all over everyone, including the repeater channels..  lots (LOTS) of profane language,  Get over the valley and it disappears back to normal life except the two guys on ch 19, i swear, they start yapping at 5:00 a.m. and keep going..  They must have a good repeater site, i can hear them in  L.A. and Barstow.  I'm just spoiled being in the desert.   

3 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

very busy, people purposely stepping all over everyone, including the repeater channels..  lots (LOTS) of profane language,  Get over the valley and it disappears back to normal life except the two guys on ch 19, i swear, they start yapping at 5:00 a.m. and keep going..  They must have a good repeater site, i can hear them in  L.A. and Barstow.  I'm just spoiled being in the desert.   

And I thought CB was bad back when I was stationed at Fort Irwin. It was a different world once you went through Cajon Pass heading west.

25 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

And I thought CB was bad back when I was stationed at Fort Irwin. It was a different world once you went through Cajon Pass heading west.

its actually worse than CB in the LA Basin..  Most of it does disappear once you get over Cajon  Pass 

• 2 weeks later...

I found this thread through a Google search, as I heard something a few times that I didn't know was possible. 
Complete beginner here, so what do I know?
It sounded like a group of people having a conversation simultaneously on Channels 14 through 22. 
I heard it this morning on the 5 through LA/Commerce. And last night on the 605 through Pico Rivera/Whittier/South El Monte. 
I didn't check the lower channels, but they were on all the 50w channels. 
Am I imagining things? Or have others heard that? 

44 minutes ago, srvenable said:

I found this thread through a Google search, as I heard something a few times that I didn't know was possible. 
Complete beginner here, so what do I know?
It sounded like a group of people having a conversation simultaneously on Channels 14 through 22. 
I heard it this morning on the 5 through LA/Commerce. And last night on the 605 through Pico Rivera/Whittier/South El Monte. 
I didn't check the lower channels, but they were on all the 50w channels. 
Am I imagining things? Or have others heard that? 

One way in which it’s possible is that there were several linked repeaters covering all those channels. 15-22 are the same frequencies as repeater transmit channels 23-30. (Repeaters receive about 5 MHz higher.)

Another possibility is that you were monitoring two channels simultaneously and changing one channel while hearing the other. 
Welcome to the hobby and this forum!