Custom built coax cable with connectors or pre-built?

WSAW350

Question

I bought a base Comet CA712EFC antenna with a female N connector and I plan to get a KG1000G+ radio with a female UHF (SO239) connector.

Should I get a factory-built length ofcoax ( M&P Ultraflex 10) with PL239 ends and a N adapter or get someone to custom make one with  N and UHF ends?

6 answers to this question

If it was ME, (i have actually had similar shituations) I would (and do) just use a good quality adaptor... "Some People" will warn you that you are going to lose all your power through an adaptor, but I am able to deal with that 0.002% amount of loss.

"some people" will also tell you to just do-up the cables and connectors yourself - but, many normal people dont want to hassle it, and, are willing to cope with that 0.002% loss from using an adaptor.

..Be sure to use a good-quality adaptor, not the $2 one from Amazon.

I have to agree that you won't notice the tiny amount of loss when using a quality adaptor. I'll also second staying away from the cheap adaptors on Amazon.

I have a custom length cable with a PL259 on one end and a N Type on the other. The only reason for the custom length and different ends is because my brother made up the cable for me so I didn't have to go out and buy cable. If I had to buy the cable, I would just get the closest length (longer than needed) of good cable with either PL259 connectors on both ends or N type connectors on both ends and just use a good adaptor.

A little extra coax coiled up at the antenna end won't hurt a thing and will act as a choke to help keep out RFI/noise. 

I’m pretty good with soldering small detailed things. I’ve made many coax cables in Lmr400 and rg58 and now i just buy the good quality connectors.  I have n connectors on both sides of my Lmr400 that is mated to my comet 712efc and a quality connector at the radio.  

Thanks guys, I had no idea of exactly how much signal loss would occur using adapters, sounds like it is less than a gnat's a$$.

My plan is to get a cable with N type ends and use the adapter at the radio end. In another life, I used to make my own audio cables, but nowadays, my 63 yo eyes will not allow this anymore. And buying the custom cable will be more pricey than the factory one with an adapter.

1 hour ago, SpeedSpeak2Me said:

Follow the @OffRoaderX advice.  Get a factory pre-made one with PL-259 connectors on both ends, and an SO-239 to N adapter.  You will never notice the insertion loss, and if you need to reuse the cable later for something that doesn't have a N connector, like a different antenna, you can.

Instead, I suggest that you get the factory made cable with the N connectors and use the adapter on the radio end. Electrically it’s the same but having a factory N connector on the cable where it connects to the antenna will be more weatherproof.