Baofeng’s and Repeater Connection help (167 thousandth time)...

Baofeng’s and Repeater Connection help.  I have a GM-15 and a 9R.  The distance and sound is fine w/out a repeater just talking back & forth.  I’ve decided to familiarize w/the area GMRS traffic via the local repeater.  My Baof’s have channels GMRS 1-22 & RPT 1-8 (along w/a bunch of DIY stuff).  I thought the channels were preconfigured so that I would only have to pop in the repeater settings for that channel.

-          The repeater info is as follows:

o   Frequency              462.650 MHz

o   Input Tone              192.8 Hz

o   Output Tone              192.8 Hz

o   Open type system

1)      VFO mode – tried popping the settings above in (minus the output)

a.       No luck, I am sure I did something wrong

2)      In Channel mode - from Menu button, tried to apply the settings above while on the specific channels for the .650 (19, 5, and 27).

a.       Didn’t seem to do anything

I think I might not be doing the channel part right..  Sorry for being the 167 (thousandth) person for probably asking the EXACT same thing. 

1 minute ago, WSCC717 said:

Baofeng’s and Repeater Connection help.  I have a GM-15 and a 9R.  The distance and sound is fine w/out a repeater just talking back & forth.  I’ve decided to familiarize w/the area GMRS traffic via the local repeater.  My Baof’s have channels GMRS 1-22 & RPT 1-8 (along w/a bunch of DIY stuff).  I thought the channels were preconfigured so that I would only have to pop in the repeater settings for that channel.

-          The repeater info is as follows:

o   Frequency              462.650 MHz

o   Input Tone              192.8 Hz

o   Output Tone              192.8 Hz

o   Open type system

1)      VFO mode – tried popping the settings above in (minus the output)

a.       No luck, I am sure I did something wrong

2)      In Channel mode - from Menu button, tried to apply the settings above while on the specific channels for the .650 (19, 5, and 27).

a.       Didn’t seem to do anything

I think I might not be doing the channel part right..  Sorry for being the 167 (thousandth) person for probably asking the EXACT same thing. 

Pick the RPT channel that receives on 462.650 MHz.  It will have the right offset for transmitting on 467.650 MHz 
Set the TX tone to 192.8 Hz. 
Leave RX tone empty. 
Press PTT and ask for a radio check. 
If nobody answers they might be at church. 
Happy Easter!

Tried on channel RPT 5 and for grins I also tried it on channel 19 (manual mentions the .650 frequency = channel 19).  No luck, no kerchunk or anything.  Maybe I'm out of reach/line of sight (only 6 miles away from the "30" mile range).  I might just drive there and test when I have the chance.  Thanks for helping and Happy Easter to you too!!  

I drove toward the repeater.  I was able to get the kerchunk w/two different radios, from a "crows fly" 1.5 miles away.  No one responded, I'll try again just to make sure. I'm a little disappointed because the repeater owner publicizes a 30 mile range and it is a pretty big tower.  There are hills going that direction so I may be just below the coverage. 

Just because you can kerchunk a repeater does not mean your voice transmissions are going through. A repeater may have an 30mile radius but your radio may only have an 5mile radius depending on where you are.   Also it may be that no one is on that repeater at that time.  The club I am part of has over a 100mile radius and over 100 members and some times no one is on to respond to radio checks.   Many of my local repeaters never have any one on.  

this is why in reality gmrs is ment for bring your own friends.  If you have people on the other side of that repeater you would be glad it was there.  You May also contact the owner and see if they have a net or set up a time for a radio check.  Hand helds have from 1/2mile to about 30miles it really depends on many things. 

On 3/31/2024 at 1:22 PM, Sshannon said:

Pick the RPT channel that receives on 462.650 MHz.  It will have the right offset for transmitting on 467.650 MHz 
Set the TX tone to 192.8 Hz. 
Leave RX tone empty. 
Press PTT and ask for a radio check. 
If nobody answers they might be at church. 
Happy Easter!

This is exactly what I did and still not able to talk. I can hear all kinds of people talking but I can't get out.

On 4/3/2024 at 9:53 PM, WRXP381 said:

Just because you can kerchunk a repeater does not mean your voice transmissions are going through. A repeater may have an 30mile radius but your radio may only have an 5mile radius depending on where you are.   Also it may be that no one is on that repeater at that time.  The club I am part of has over a 100mile radius and over 100 members and some times no one is on to respond to radio checks.   Many of my local repeaters never have any one on.  

this is why in reality gmrs is ment for bring your own friends.  If you have people on the other side of that repeater you would be glad it was there.  You May also contact the owner and see if they have a net or set up a time for a radio check.  Hand helds have from 1/2mile to about 30miles it really depends on many things. 

If I can hear people talking shouldn't I be in range to talk?

Hold on..after reading some more I think I've figured it out. The repeater has more power so it will reach me and I can hear it but my hand held doesn't have enough power to reach it on the transmission to talk. (1.5 miles away as the crow flies). I just measured via google earth.

I'm go drive closer and do a radio check.