Adding a mobile GMRS to my truck.

I wanted to get a radio for the truck for a while now. I ended up getting a BTech 20v2 and a "Ghost" antenna for it. With any luck a buddy of mine will come over tomorrow to help me do the install. I had to order the BTech cable to get CHIRP to read the radio. I removed channels 8 through 14 since the radio won't transmit on those channels because the power settings can't go low enough for FCC requirements.  1-7 are hard set to "low" power which is supposed to be 5 watts and 15-22 along with repeater 15-22 are high power which should be 20 watts but from YouTube tests I've seen is closer to 14 watts. If all goes well I'll be mobile by this time tomorrow. 

Well, that wasn't all that hard. Power port worked with the radio so no hot wire needed. Figured out a good way to mount the antenna and run the cable. Used 3M VHB double side tape to mount the bracket. Programed it with 1-7(low power)and 15-22(high power)plus the 8 repeater channels, 3 of which had tones so I can use them AND I got my 4 DPS channels(scan only)so I can hear what's happening on the roads. I think this'll work out fine for my needs. 

I did order a speaker cable so I can plug into my stereo's AUX port to use those speakers if needed.

7 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

I did order a speaker cable so I can plug into my stereo's AUX port to use those speakers if needed.

Double check the impedance. It's my understanding they are different. Also, I think there are devices you can get to fix that problem.

11 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PQVPNLQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

04 Dodge Ram on the hood and my shoe size is a 13 wide, LOL.

What you have there in the link is a very small ground plan antenna and a lip mount. A lip mount gives very little ground plane.   It’s really only going to work forward and on what ever side you pick to put it on.   I guess if your only going to use it car to car while on the freeway talking to the car in front of you then you e got it made.  

26 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Double check the impedance. It's my understanding they are different. Also, I think there are devices you can get to fix that problem.

Checked my truck radio, didn't have an AUX so I canceled the cable. 

Also, I'm sure that big ol' truck hood will give me plenty of ground plane.

It's a big hood, but it's limited with the lip mount. If you had it mounted in the center of the hood, then you would be good for 360 signal. This is why I choose to drill and NMO mount through the roof of my truck. Learned a long time ago, don't sweat about the hole, they been drilling through roof panels for a long time! Just need to remember to replace the seals on the antenna every few years. Glad you now mobile. Enjoy being able to stay in touch while on the road.