New to radio

Guest Dan

Guest Dan

Hello everyone!  Very new to radio. Just purchased a Baofeng UV-5R GMRS, I also got my license yesterday. Any tips on getting my radio setup? Also, I’m seeing all this stuff about nets and meshes. I understand GMRS isn’t ham where everyone just hangs out talks to each other, but are those set times I see on the website here, times that everyone meets up on these radios? Thanks! And sorry again, I’m still Learning. 

1 hour ago, nokones said:

Is that radio Part 95 type-certified? It is my understanding that all UV-5Rs are not legal for GMRS freq use.

That wasn't the question. The questions were:

"Any tips on getting my radio setup? Also, I’m seeing all this stuff about nets and meshes. I understand GMRS isn’t ham where everyone just hangs out talks to each other, but are those set times I see on the website here, times that everyone meets up on these radios?"

Just now, Guest Dan said:

Hello everyone!  Very new to radio. Just purchased a Baofeng UV-5R GMRS, I also got my license yesterday. Any tips on getting my radio setup? Also, I’m seeing all this stuff about nets and meshes. I understand GMRS isn’t ham where everyone just hangs out talks to each other, but are those set times I see on the website here, times that everyone meets up on these radios? Thanks! And sorry again, I’m still Learning. 

Use repeater section of the site to locate repeaters near you. Keep in mind you will likely find more repeaters that you can hear than you will be able to make contact with. Also check and see if there are any clubs in your area. Most importantly just have a good time and try not to let the knuckleheads ruin it for you. 

9 hours ago, Guest Dan said:

There are buttloads of videos and tutorials about how to set up that radio. My recommendation would be to search them out, because you would be able to watch and follow along with someone as they program the radio. I find that easier than reading someone's "rewrite" of the manual. As far as nets, there are some GMRS nets, but they'll probably be on repeaters, and hosted by clubs. Not sure what you mean by "meshes", other than "mesh networks" that require special equipment, which are far beyond the scope of GMRS. Like you said, GMRS isn't normally where everyone hangs out and talks to each other, although it does happen. That's a ham radio thing. GMRS is more geared toward groups of like-minded folks out for a hike, an off-road excursion, keeping track of each other when camping, car and motorhome caravans, hunting, that kind of thing. Although there is no limit to what you can use them for if you need a communication tool. Formal nets happen at specific times on both ham and GMRS repeaters. But there is no official time. The ham net I host is at 7 PM on Tuesdays. But different repeaters have nets at all different times. One ham repeater here in Southern California has what they call the "Net at 9", which occurs at both 9 AM and 9 PM every day. Another GMRS repeater here has one on Monday nights at 7 pm.

25 minutes ago, nokones said:

It kinda figures that no one cares.

We care enough to point out your misunderstandings. This all could have been avoided if you would have read the OP's original post, where he specifically said he had a UV-5R GMRS radio. A simple internet search would have revealed to you that there is indeed such a thing. Instead, you went straight for the throat and assumed the guy is a criminal.

1 hour ago, WRQC527 said:

We care enough to point out your misunderstandings. This all could have been avoided if you would have read the OP's original post, where he specifically said he had a UV-5R GMRS radio. A simple internet search would have revealed to you that there is indeed such a thing. Instead, you went straight for the throat and assumed the guy is a criminal.

I did do the internet search before posting. It wasn't clear if there was a GMRS version or not for the UV-5R. The search also turned up other unrelated to the search UVs and I didn't see the new UV-5R radio listed anywhere.

I also checked to see if Randy had a video on it and he didn't have one as of yet or I missed it.

As for going to the guys throat, why don't you point out exactly where that occurred? There was no direct attack nor was the OP addressed at all in my post. I simply asked a general question that said it was my understanding that the UV-5R is not compliant with Part 95 Rules, which it isn't. It was a question and not an attack. Why don't you just go play with your CCRs and quit making unsound accusations.

I get the impression that you are you one of those millennials that grew up learning how to tie your shoes with Velcro straps and in the interest of time limited your straps to just two straps per shoe because you are impatient and in a hurry for nothing.

Aren't you at work wasting your employers time conducting non-company business on the company's computer network? You should be focusing on your company work.

Oh, sorry for being a little direct with you. I didn't realize that your an expert in this radio subject matter and the fact you have had your GMRS license for a tad less than two years now.

My apologies.

12 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

You missed it.

No I didn't. That video was 8 months ago, I just didn't remember that particular "not my favorite" radio being featured. I do remember that you had the picture of your favorite Vice President and former California Attorney General on the monitor in the background. In the whatever available future that lies ahead for me, I'll do a better job in remembering such stuff.

Guest WSCJ380 Newbie

Care to share that video gents?

(Also - have been having issues getting to Sir N.A.R.'s site on my computer - it's blocked by some plugin. Any insights there?)

14 minutes ago, Guest WSCJ380 Newbie said:

Care to share that video gents?

(Also - have been having issues getting to Sir N.A.R.'s site on my computer - it's blocked by some plugin. Any insights there?)

Guest WSCJ380 Newbie
32 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Boom. Thanks! I'll get to work programming in chirp.

Also on the site, I keep seeing this, but i can see it on my iPhone Randy. What gives? @OffRoaderX

5 minutes ago, Guest WSCJ380 Newbie said:

Boom. Thanks! I'll get to work programming in chirp.

Also on the site, I keep seeing this, but i can see it on my iPhone Randy. What gives? @OffRoaderX

If your computer blocks YouTube that’s a configuration error in your security settings, nothing to do with @OffRoaderX.

Guest WSCJ380 Newbie
1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

If your computer blocks YouTube that’s a configuration error in your security settings, nothing to do with @OffRoaderX.

Not blocking youtube...just his site. Looks like NAR has some sort of ip blocklisting set up through his wordpress site via a wordfence plugin. I'm just a sad newb who can't see his stuff except on my iphone. 

Screenshot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/whuaxLpb8RyQ5qsQA

Guest WSCJ380 Newbie
2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Turn off your VPN.

Don't have one brother.
Same thing happening with my iPhone and iPad when I'm on my wifi.
SMH. Technology! LOL
Also, I thank you sir for your vids and humor. Abso-F--ingLutelyFabulous.

Rick Lohre
WSCJ380 Newbie (Not a user because the FCC is slow to send what I can already see in the dashboard SMH - "Govs")

https://ricklohre.com
https://fitbody.com

20 hours ago, Guest WSCJ380 Newbie said:

Don't have one brother.
Same thing happening with my iPhone and iPad when I'm on my wifi.
SMH. Technology! LOL
Also, I thank you sir for your vids and humor. Abso-F--ingLutelyFabulous.

Rick Lohre
WSCJ380 Newbie (Not a user because the FCC is slow to send what I can already see in the dashboard SMH - "Govs")

https://ricklohre.com
https://fitbody.com

Here's what I'm getting @OffRoaderX

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 12.10.59 PM.jpg