Registering a new account issues

Guest Leo

Guest Leo

I just received my GMRS license and wanted to connect to a repeater in San Diego however i needed to create an account on here. To do that i needed to enter my license call sign and because its so new its not in the system with the website. This entire process from obtaining my license to just programing my radio to retrieving the repeater info is terrible. Many obstacles just to get things started. 

Also, the pre installed repeaters on the BigWang UV-9R have been useless as far as getting a repeater i could use. 

Thank you for your time,

Leo

If this is too much you may want to re evaluate things in life.  First, yes the fcc web site sucks but oh well.  Every one else gets it.  Second this site takes time to update.  Usually a few days.  Oh well, it’s a free web site that is a huge wealth of info.  Be patient.   3rd I don’t think any radio comes with pre programmed repeaters.  You must look them up on sites like this and program them with the specific tones provided.  Lastly gmrs is ment to bring your own friends and family.  Gmrs use is not primarily repeater use.  Get a programming cable and down load some software chirp is free, rt systems cost money.  There may be others.  Computer programming makes things 100xs easier. Learn to use your radio.  I have a uv9r.  Other than the crappy programming port it’s a great starter radio.  It’s actually my go to since it’s cheap and is water proof (ish).  Get your family or friends or buddy’s at work a $20 radio and start talking.  Look up every repeater near you ask permission if need be and program it in and start talking.  Life is about relaxing and taking things slow and learning.  Many guys myself included will take time from their personal life to sit on the phone if need be and help you get your radio programmed.  Or even email you a starter program for your radio. 

your in San Diego so there are many repeaters that you can hit and many that are just out side San Diego that you may consider.   Slow down and have fun with it.  This isn’t HAM 

9 hours ago, Guest Leo said:

I just received my GMRS license and wanted to connect to a repeater in San Diego however i needed to create an account on here. To do that i needed to enter my license call sign and because its so new its not in the system with the website. This entire process from obtaining my license to just programing my radio to retrieving the repeater info is terrible. Many obstacles just to get things started. 

Also, the pre installed repeaters on the BigWang UV-9R have been useless as far as getting a repeater i could use. 

Thank you for your time,

Leo

Hi Leo,

Welcome to the forum. 
Congratulations on navigating the FCC licensing site. You’re right that it is not easy. 
It can take a few days between the time the FCC issues your license and the time the bulk download is done for this site. It will eventually happen though. 
If some people here seem like jerks you can add them to your “ignore list.” Then you won’t have to see their posts. 
If there are repeaters preprogrammed in your radio they’re probably just there as examples. Or it may just be that they’re the eight established repeater channels that have the offset programmed in but are waiting for you to program the correct CTCSS tone or DCS code on transmit. 
Again, welcome!

9 hours ago, Guest Leo said:

Thank you for your time,

Leo

A few suggestions:

Put down your radio, take a deep breath.

Stop calling it a BigWang. It's a Baofeng. Don't let the radio win. You're in charge here.

They're not obstacles, they're steps. Take them in order, be patient. 

While you're waiting for your license to be recognized by MyGMRS, read online tutorials and watch videos specific to programming your radio. I find that watching  someone else do something helps me learn. You'll get this. We all did. And most of us are more than willing to help where we can.

Guest WRWE456

I will use this as back up comms for the family along with sat phones. In the past we used the common FRS radios so they are familiar with them. \

Guest WRXP381

Thank you for the reply. I was trying to get the HAM license before and gave up. I'm not a tech geek but I can figure things out except for the HAM mumbo jumbo that drove me crazy. I also realized that my family could not talk freely as they did not have a license. GMRS license fee dropped and more radio brands were popping up supporting GMRS so it was a no brainer. I was going to download CHIRP and have the cable needed to program the BigWang UV-9r and ended up here to attempt to get the repeater info with permission. Learning to use the radios requires a little time and patience. 

Thank you for the offer to help. I'm sure I'll be reaching out some day.

Guest Sshannon

Hi,

I appreciate the tips. Like any forum i've seen nice people and not so nice ones. I will keep the ignore option in mind, hope it never gets that bad like in other forums. Thank you also for letting me know the repeater channels are not pre-programmed and have to be manually entered. I have been watching a few of NotARubicon on youtube and his information has been very helpful. His links helped me get my license. I will be patient with the process.

Thank you for Welcoming me.

Take care

Guest WRQC527

Thanks for the encouragement. It's new so it does take time to figure everything out. 

The HAM license process and the $%^ test were a pain. 

I will continue learning.

Guest Slow systems

Still no joy on the system update to recognize my call sign. 

Longest 48 hours.

There has to be a better way to get access to a repeater quickly. 

It's ok back to watching more videos.

Leo

2 hours ago, Guest Slow systems said:

Longest 48 hours.

Leo

What is the hurry? I mean really.  You’re in a big hurry to find local repeaters and ask for access from them from the private owners that may or may not even get back to you.   Just slow down.  Take a breath and wait.  It’s really not a big deal.  You may ask for access to a repeater and you may never hear back.  No one even has to give you access.  So you could be weeks or more away.   I’d suggest you start listening to local traffic and see if you can make simplex contacts.  Remember gmrs really Is for friends and family. For bringing your own contacts not for rushing a privately owned site to get access to privately owned repeaters.  

3 hours ago, Guest Slow systems said:

Longest 48 hours.

Leo

It can take up to a week. 
My belief is that there’s a weekly update of the my GMRS database. I think you’ll be recognized within the next two days. 

Guest Thanks
On 4/15/2024 at 9:14 PM, Sshannon said:

It can take up to a week. 
My belief is that there’s a weekly update of the my GMRS database. I think you’ll be recognized within the next two days. 

Yea I’ll keep checking, thank you