Guest DENNIS

Guest DENNIS

Hello everyone and good evening.  My name is Dennis and live in Suffolk NY.  I started my appclation for my GMRS license.  Once I get my License and call sign I would like to join the community.  Right now my wife and I are using buble pack radios on channel 8 (FRS), but we scan GMRS channels and hear people talking, mostly on repeaters.  I have been searching and found a few repeater owners that will allow access once I get my call sign.  I am green at this so I am asking for advise. After I get my License and call sign I would like to buy a set of good quality GMRS radios and possibly use them on a repeater (after permission from the owner of the repeater).  I would like to get a programmable radio to use legally on GMRS network.  Do I need another license to operate a programmable radio on the GMRS frequency .  I want to be 100% legal  and comply with all FCC laws and rules of the repeater owner. I would like to get a good set of hand held radios that operate the full 4 watts on high power on UHF. Can someone help me in the correct direction 

Thank you

DENNIS

Welcome to the forums! I highly recommend the Tera TR-505 handheld radios for your use. It is one of the very few new radios that actually have both Part 95A and Part 95J certifications.

That is because in addition to UHF GMRS, it also supports VHF MURS frequencies. Granted it has only sixteen channels and no display, but that is more than sufficient for most folks needs. Transmit power is a fully legal 4 watts.

https://powerwerx.com/tera-tr505-gmrs-recreational-handheld-radio

http://puu.sh/qSzUr.jpg

Guest Dennis

Thanks for the info N4GIX. I have been shopping around and  the Tera TR-505 seems to be the only Radio that meets part 95A that ​ I could use on a repeater.  I wonder why the choices are limited when it comes to a good GMRS part 95A radio,  is it because of all the cheap buble pack radios out there ??.  Anyway still looking around as I have not yet finished getting my GMRS License ( very busy )..

Welcome to the forums! I highly recommend the Tera TR-505 handheld radios for your use. It is one of the very few new radios that actually have both Part 95A and Part 95J certifications.

That is because in addition to UHF GMRS, it also supports VHF MURS frequencies. Granted it has only sixteen channels and no display, but that is more than sufficient for most folks needs. Transmit power is a fully legal 5 watts.

https://powerwerx.com/tera-tr505-gmrs-recreational-handheld-radio

Actually they are 4 watts, but I don't mean that they are not good radios, just calrifying. I have them and love them. I have used them as both GMRS and for a while MURS. Great radios, good range and very clear sound. 

@PRadio: thanks for the correction. I've edited my post above with the correct power output on UHF.

Yes, provided you have any GMRS repeaters available in your vicinity, and have them programmed in the radio(s) you can hit repeaters. The form-factor for these radios is very comfortable and fits into the average person's hand quite nicely.

They even look like a real radio, unlike Motorola's GMRS HTs that look like a Mickey Mouse Disney toy! :D

I have two TR-505 radios and really like them. The measurements I get on high power with my meter are 5.3 watts VHF and 5.7 watts UHF (advertised values for high power are 5 watts and 4 watts). I also purchased the 15" antenna, battery eliminator, microphone, and mag-mount mobile antenna. The only thing I would not purchase again is the mag-mount mobile antenna. You can do a lot better with an aftermarket GMRS/MURS mag-mount. I have one on my car now that is 5.5 db and works well with the TR-505 set up.

As far as repeaters go I only have one in the area that I have tried hitting with the short antenna and I can hit that one from 30 miles out, inside a car (no roof antenna) but the repeater is on a 1400 ft mountain. 

The 15" antennas are really worth the money and will extend your range about 40% (maybe more on MURS).  I can talk a good 50% further on MURS (VHF) frequencies and they really seem to move over terrain features that will block GMRS signals (even at a 5 watt to 2 watt power difference).

The typical range here in Virginia for the short antennas is about 5-6 miles, with the 15" antennas about 6-7 miles and with two roof mounts on MURS as far as 12 miles.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Sasquatch.  I appreciate the information,  I ordered a set and I am waiting for them to come in the mail.  those wattage outputs are pretty impressive for a inexpensive handheld.  I do not understand why the market is limited to quality part 95 FCC certified GMRS radios that can be programmed to hit a repeater... Maybe because of all the bubble pack junk = no one bothers to get a license for ?     

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to applying for my GMRS license last night, Got my e mail confirmation of payment received. I spoke to a nice Woman from the FCC today and she told me that it would be e mailed to me in the next 24-48 hours.  As soon as I get my callsign I will become a official member of MYGRMS.com :)

Just tried registering for MY GMRS.COM and the system stated my callsign does not exist or has not been updated yet.. I had my licnse for about 24 hours. I guess it takes some time for the system to update 

Thanks Sasquatch.  I appreciate the information,  I ordered a set and I am waiting for them to come in the mail.  those wattage outputs are pretty impressive for a inexpensive handheld.  I do not understand why the market is limited to quality part 95 FCC certified GMRS radios that can be programmed to hit a repeater... Maybe because of all the bubble pack junk = no one bothers to get a license for ?     

Did you get your Teras yet? 

Yes.  I got the Tera's. They are nice radios for the price.They seem to work very good. I wish they made an extended battery in the 2200 mAh range. The FCC certification for part 95A is a huge plus. GRMR license only took 24 hours before I got my callsign. What type of equipment do I need to measure the output power of these radios

Yes.  I got the Tera's. They are nice radios for the price.They seem to work very good. I wish they made an extended battery in the 2200 mAh range. The FCC certification for part 95A is a huge plus. GRMR license only took 24 hours before I got my callsign. What type of equipment do I need to measure the output power of these radios

I am not familiar with the Tera's, but if they have standard connector (BNC or similar) for the antenna, you should be able connect to any SWR meter that also measures power and reflected power. It won't be precise since most meters are really designed for mobiles of 10 watts rf or greater. But it will give you a good idea. To do it right, you need a quality watt meter like a Bird or similar. Big bucks for the home hobby person!

If there's no connector, just a screw-in antenna, there should be a BNC adapter available somewhere online to do this. I know there is one for my Motorola portables.

I'm using a Rohs VHF/UHF MFJ-842 SWR/Wattmeter. It's a low cost instrument and I have no idea about the quality level, but it seems to give me "reasonable" readings using a 12' whip. I've used it on the Teras and on my 50 watt mobile unit. The scale is 0-15 and 0-150 watts.

• 4 weeks later...