My HT Journey (So Far!)

My HT collection/journey thus far! Radios in order of acquisition from left-to-right: Baofeng UB-5G, Baofeng UV-5G+, Tidradio TD-H3, Tidradio TD-H8, Wouxun KG-S88G.

If you have any questions about any of these radios, feel free to ask!

58657266cadc3f047e1d979beff39c5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

I actually do.   I have uv5’s boofwang uv9r’s uv21’s uv17’s and kg-uv9gx’s and Motorola xts3000’s 

I love them all in there own way.  

Awesome! I'm trying to decide between the KG-UV9GX and the KG-Q10G for my next radio... can't make up my mind.... @OffRoaderX what are your thoughts between those 2 HT's?

11 minutes ago, WSCB811 said:

I'm trying to decide between the KG-UV9GX and the KG-Q10G for my next radio... can't make up my mind.... @OffRoaderX what are your thoughts

I think you should choose whichever of the two has the features that best meet your wants, needs, and desires in a radio.

1 hour ago, WSCB811 said:

Awesome! I'm trying to decide between the KG-UV9GX and the KG-Q10G for my next radio... can't make up my mind.... @OffRoaderX what are your thoughts between those 2 HT's?

As much as I like the kg-uv9 I don’t like the twisty knob on the top to change channels.  I bumb it all the time so I have to lock down the radio.  I never hit the front buttons on any radio but the twisty knob is always getting bumped.   I use my hand held radios while hiking, riding quads and riding horses and I also use a shoulder mic if I’m wearing a back pack or a jacket with a loop.  And it’s for sure annoying to worry about the top knob.  But bother then that the kg-uv9 is a favorite.  

H3 and 5G+ ftw in that group.  I wanted to like the H8 but performance was pretty mediocre.  

If you want another cheaper radio for the collection and to take for camping/hiking type purposes where getting it wet may be an issue, the Baofeng UV9G is a good radio, BUT, I had issues with it with the stock or even extended Baofeng antenna, the audio would drop out whenever I would move slightly.  However when I slapped on the Tidradio H3 antenna, it was money.  Got me the same range as extended antenna in a smaller package to throw in a backpack.

7 hours ago, AmanGMRS said:

H3 and 5G+ ftw in that group.  I wanted to like the H8 but performance was pretty mediocre.  

If you want another cheaper radio for the collection and to take for camping/hiking type purposes where getting it wet may be an issue, the Baofeng UV9G is a good radio, BUT, I had issues with it with the stock or even extended Baofeng antenna, the audio would drop out whenever I would move slightly.  However when I slapped on the Tidradio H3 antenna, it was money.  Got me the same range as extended antenna in a smaller package to throw in a backpack.

I love my boofwang uv9 except for the way the clip is and the screw on cover for the side port.  But it’s water proof, I know from experience, and it seams to transmit just a little better than other cheap radios.   I’ve never experienced the issues you have using a 771 antenna.  30plus miles is what I get in the open.  For a cheap junker it works great.