BTech GMRS RPT50 - NEW 50-Watt GMRS Only Repeater

I sent an email to BTech to ask questions about the repeater.  Figured I'd put the questions and then answers (below) up for everyone to see since it might be something someone would like to know. 

Hello,
    I have several questions I was wondering if you could answer about the RPT50 repeater.

I've gone through the user manual that I downloaded from your website and I find some conflicting information between what the website says about the repeater and what the manual says.  Also have some general questions about the repeater.

1.Is there a squelch for the receiver?  I saw no mention of it in the manual.  If there is no adjustable squelch what level is the squelch set at?  Or is it only squelched by PL tones?

2.I assume it has full CTCSS and DCS tones for receive and transmit.  Can it do split tones? ie: different tones for receive and transmit.  Does the CW ID signal with tones or no tones, is it switchable?

3. What should the approx wattage output be using the duplexer (RX/TX Socket), most likely will be using 462.600MHz +5MHz?

4. The manual states DC power can be 13.8vdc +/-15% which is what I would consider a normal power supply.  On the website it says 12 vdc +/-0.5v which is an odd voltage since any battery system is going to be 12.8v-13.2v nominal.

Can the DC power input be used as a battery backup that switches over automatically during a power outage?  Or is it just an alternate power supply to the internal 120 volt driven supply?

5. In the manual it says the handheld microphone is functional as a PTT microphone along with keypad for programming.  One of the updates says this is only for programming.  Is there an optional microphone that can be used for transmitting?  Or is there no way to transmit from the repeater without using another radio to interact with it?

6. The manual says the unit has a volume control.  Does this have a listenable receiver and a built in speaker to listen to incoming transmissions?

7. Does the repeater come with the latest updates installed?  I only have a Win7 computer and I've heard the program only runs on a Win11 OS.  Does that mean I won't be able to update or use the software to program the repeater?

8. On the CW ID system is it only a single set time to ID?  Or can it be set to ID after 15 minutes of repeater activity and stay silent when there is no repeater activity.  Does the ID have a busy function so it doesn't interfere with people talking and waits for a time when the repeater isn't busy?

9. Are the TX and RX sockets active which could be used with separate antennas with proper configuration if you don't want to use the internal duplexer?

10. Are there any plans to activate the 3 separate ports on the rear of the repeater?  If so which ones and when might that happen?

And then I got a response from Katy the next morning:

Hey Leo,

Thanks for reaching out with your detailed questions about the RPT-50 repeater! I’ll go through each one to clear up any confusion.

1. Squelch for the Receiver

The RPT-50 repeater doesn’t have an adjustable squelch level in the traditional sense. It’s primarily squelched by CTCSS or DCS tones. This means it will only open the squelch when the correct tones are received.

2. CTCSS/DCS Tones and Split Tones

Yes, the RPT-50 supports both CTCSS and DCS tones for transmit and receive. You can also set split tones, meaning you can have different tones for receive and transmit. The CW ID can be configured to transmit with or without tones, depending on your preference.

3. Approximate Wattage Output

After the duplexer, you can expect an approximate output of around 45W. This is typical when using frequencies like 462.600 MHz with a +5 MHz offset. Make sure your power supply is stable and within the recommended voltage range to avoid any power-related issues.

4. DC Power Requirements and Battery Backup

The manual indicates the power supply should be 13.8VDC ±15%, which is standard for many radios and repeaters. However, the website mentions a stricter 12VDC ±0.5V requirement. To clarify, we recommend using a power supply providing 13V to 13.5V, as this will ensure optimal performance without stressing the internal components. While the repeater can handle higher voltages for short periods, consistently using a higher voltage could potentially harm the duplexer.

The DC power input can serve as a battery backup that switches automatically during a power outage, but it’s not designed as a primary power supply.

5. Handheld Microphone Functionality

The handheld microphone that comes with the RPT-50 is primarily for programming purposes. It does not function as a PTT microphone for transmitting voice. Unfortunately, there isn’t an optional microphone available that can be used directly with the repeater to transmit. To transmit through the repeater, you must use another radio.

6. Volume Control and Built-In Speaker

Yes, the RPT-50 repeater has a built-in speaker and a volume knob for received transmissions. You can listen to incoming transmissions directly from the repeater.

7. Firmware Updates and Software Requirements

The repeater does not come with the latest updates installed, but to make any further updates or to program the repeater, you will need a Windows 10 or later computer. The software does not support Windows 7, so you might need to find a Windows 10 or 11 machine for future updates or programming tasks.

8. CW ID System Configuration

The CW ID system on the RPT-50 is quite flexible. You can configure it to transmit an ID after a set period, like 15 minutes, following repeater activity, and you can set it to remain silent when there’s no activity. It also has a busy function that waits until the repeater is idle before transmitting the ID, so it won’t interrupt ongoing conversations.

9. TX and RX Sockets for Separate Antennas

The TX and RX sockets are not active only the TX/RX antenna jack is used.

10. Activation of Rear Ports

Currently, there are no confirmed plans or timelines for activating the three separate ports on the rear of the repeater. If there are future updates or plans, they will be announced through our official website or product manuals.