How do I update my TD-H3 using a Mac. Chirp, OdMaster or the Tidradio Website? What's the steps?

crash3x

Question

21 answers to this question

14 hours ago, crash3x said:

I looking to update the Firmware

The firmware updater runs only on Windows..  It *might* run via Parallels on your Mac.. But, it might not.. and I dont recall, but you may also be able to do it via the ODMaster app...

But... are you really sure you even need the firmware update? I usually avoid firmware updates unless it fixes something I actually care about.

I have been using CHIRP on a mac book m1 for about 3 months now.   Now this is on a wouxun kg1000 plus, but CHIRP supports a ton of radios.  You may try the manufacturers website first since there software may be more tightly aligned with your specific radio, than CHIRP.  I went with CHIRP since wouxun did not support mac m1.  So far all works.   try https://chirpmyradio.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home .  best of luck

UPDATE:   You may end up using CHIRP, but only for programming.   Any firmware would be by the manufacturer of the radio

28 minutes ago, crash3x said:

How do I update my TD-H3 using a MacBook. 

Do I use Chirp, OdMaster or the Tidradio Website? 

What's the steps/process?

Any links/download links & tips would be appreciated. 

Thanks!! 

Odmaster allows you to program that radio through bluetooth, you don't need a mac for that just BT smartphone and the TD-H3,

Chirp Works on Mac and it could be used, just plug radio into usbc.

Search youtube and you will find plenty of step by step guides how to use either.

1 hour ago, WRWE456 said:

Are you asking about a firmware update or programing the radio? Chirp is for programing.

I apologize for not clarifying properly. 

I looking to update the Firmware. 

8 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I usually avoid firmware updates unless it fixes something I actually care about.

Good point. I'm not going to update the firmware on my GM-15 Pros. I don't actually "need" to use repeaters with them so I don't want to chance bricking them for that feature.

38 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Good point. I'm not going to update the firmware on my GM-15 Pros. I don't actually "need" to use repeaters with them so I don't want to chance bricking them for that feature.

A gm-15 pro can’t use repeaters with out a firmware update?   Really?  

I suggest you be careful getting answers to deep questions about a firmware update on the gm-15 pro in a thread about the TD-H3.

You are just not going to get the depth of responses from experiences users of the gm-15 pro, because, other than a few, why would they be here?

For example: I do not have a TD-H3 and am only here because reviewing "Unread Content" at this particular moment in time revealed:

31 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

A gm-15 pro can’t use repeaters with out a firmware update?   Really?  

Firmware updates make me nervous. I take much time researching the issue before I do them. 

i have not yet bricked a radio, but that is my fear. 

My concern was not the hijacking of this thread but that a more focused thread will get more replies and information 

On 5/1/2024 at 12:04 AM, OffRoaderX said:

The firmware updater runs only on Windows..  It *might* run via Parallels on your Mac.. But, it might not.. and I dont recall, but you may also be able to do it via the ODMaster app...

But... are you really sure you even need the firmware update? I usually avoid firmware updates unless it fixes something I actually care about.

Credit to your point.... I tried via Parallels on my Mac and bricked it!  I was tying to resolve the squelch tail issue since I have (4)TD-H3's I use for outdoor stuff.

No I didn't really "need" it, but it would have been nice since it's a little annoying, lesson learned. I'll definitely be more cautious in the future, it's not as simple as an iPhone lol!

Unfortunately we Apple Silicon Mac owners can’t use boot camp to create a windows partition. I gifted my intel IMac to my mother. If need, I guess I can create a windows partition to update the firmware if really necessary. 

I have been unable to use CHIRP via the USB C port since my M1 iMac doesn’t have a USB A port. The third party C to A hub I have is not working. I’m going to buy an Apple adapter and see if that works. In the meantime, I used the web based ODmaster to program the H3 via Bluetooth. The iPhone app is a PIA to use. 

On 5/15/2024 at 9:47 AM, wscu331 said:

Unfortunately we Apple Silicon Mac owners can’t use boot camp to create a windows partition. I gifted my intel IMac to my mother. If need, I guess I can create a windows partition to update the firmware if really necessary. 

I have been unable to use CHIRP via the USB C port since my M1 iMac doesn’t have a USB A port. The third party C to A hub I have is not working. I’m going to buy an Apple adapter and see if that works. In the meantime, I used the web based ODmaster to program the H3 via Bluetooth. The iPhone app is a PIA to use. 

I used an Apple cord "USB-C to USB" and CHIRP works fine. I have a M3 MacBook Air.

On 5/15/2024 at 6:47 AM, wscu331 said:

6 hours ago, Ziggidy said:

I used an Apple cord "USB-C to USB" and CHIRP works fine. I have a M3 MacBook Air.

3 hours ago, crash3x said:

Yeah I'll second that a genuine apple adapter works just fine with a MacBook Air, chirp and the original baofeng cable.  Used it today actually! 

Yes, the Apple adapter worked like a charm. We still need to solve the issue of needing windoze to update firmware when necessary. My radios came with the newer firmware that adds the additional menu items. Those enable 200>500 

18 hours ago, wscu331 said:

Yes, the Apple adapter worked like a charm. We still need to solve the issue of needing windoze to update firmware when necessary. My radios came with the newer firmware that adds the additional menu items. Those enable 200>500 

I use Windows 11 in Parallels on my M1 2020 Mac Mini and it works fine on programming CPS software for my radios that require Windows. 

It even installed the experimental firmware on my Quansheng UV-K5(8) so that now I can communicate with others on SSB on 2 meters. 

On 5/15/2024 at 9:47 AM, wscu331 said:

I have an M1 Macbook and all you need is a Multiport Adapter Hub such as: https://shorturl.at/TA6iO. I run a lot of things, all ports are full, and never had any issues with chirp.

1 hour ago, wscu331 said:

TIDRadio replied to my question on one of “their” videos. The replier stated tidradio was “looking into” Mac software for firmware updates. 

better than you'd get from most other 'cheap chinese radio' places.

So there's that.