Extreme Space Weather

Last time this bad of a cme event occurred it was suppose to be in 2005, 19 years ago

At the time personally, I didn't care so no memory. But then again alot less electronics were available for the average consumer. So shrug.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Not sure what that graphic means but possibly seeing an aurora in La (as reported by the local “news”) almost seems like it’s a big deal.  Guess I’ll see what’s left in the morning.  

I was on 20M FT8 when the aurora popped up over mid Missouri earlier. I could tell when I started getting a lot of noise show up on my WSJT-X waterfall. I stepped outside and got some good photos of the aurora. I haven't noticed much effect on 2m, 70cm, or GMRS tonight. But the HF bands were definitely affected. 

I did make a few contacts on 6m this evening. Everyones voices sounded digitized and weird.

The HF bands are still dead this morning. 20m is the only band with any decent activity right now. So far VHF and UHF has not been affected.

Here are a few photos I took last night. I used my iPhone 14 to take the photos. I could not see the green with naked eyes.

IMG_3774copy.jpg.d7a6ecf1b232da1715324cd549a64ffe.jpg

IMG_3776copy.jpg.0809a9bd92802c1ce1dc839cb710d034.jpg

IMG_3778copy.jpg.82bafa0254b3688db536a32a21314860.jpg

The other pictures my wife captured were very similar to the one I posted last night. That one just had the most color in it. I don't think we are in the best area to really get any better pictures, but I had seen some really good ones from all over Arizona. 

48219.jpeg

48220.jpeg

HF radio is dead, VHF/UHF, depending on where you are can be dead also but not affected by CME's. Good time to go out and watch the northern lights. 
I just recently broke down and got into HF. HF is DEAD like the city streets during the height of COVID. Even AM broadcast is dead unless you are close enough to the transmit site. I dont remember it being bad but then again, I was never into anything HF, and since nothing else got affected like they claim all the time, I never noticed. Allegedly my internet is supposed to be down due to this weather. Mine is running strong.

Yup, I was able to see the Aurora in the Pittsburgh area last night. It was the best Aurora I have seen here. I'm an amateur astronomer and get space weather notifications so I have seen it many times here. 

I took these from my front step. 

Aurora Monroeville 2498 2049-.jpg

Aurora Monroeville 2502 2048-.jpg

20m has been in and out all day on SSB and FT8. I did find two guys rag chewing on 17m earlier this afternoon. Other than the one signal on 17m, all of the higher bands have been dead on SSB and FT8.

I sat there and listened to the two guys on 17m, one had a good strong signal while the other was pretty weak. That did allow me to fine tune things on my Xiegu G90 though.