Radioddity DB40-G Programming Cable

OffRoaderX

Question

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRYS709 said:

Can someone explain to me this style of thread, where instead of posts being listed chronologically, their listed in some obscure order (voting?)?

I am now reticent to post on these threads, because I cannot tell who is responding to what!

Maybe there is a "switch" that allows me to read them chronologically again?

There is a switch.  Immediately below the original question, over on the right, is a pair of buttons. You can choose to sort by VOTES or by DATE.

IMG_0020.thumb.png.514561110fd0e98df9a3112ec428b86b.png

3 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

Where did you buy it? Radioddity indicates it comes with one both in the picture and down further under "What’s in the box?"

He mentioned that in his review. I think he’s trying to find out if anyone else has received it. 

Can someone explain to me this style of thread, where instead of posts being listed chronologically, their listed in some obscure order (voting?)?

I am now reticent to post on these threads, because I cannot tell who is responding to what!

2 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

This is a "question", not a regular forum-post.. Upvoted answers to the question rise to the top, stupid/downoted answers float to the bottom.  There is no 'switch' to change it.

EDIT: I stood corrected - there IS a switch!

On 5/12/2024 at 2:34 PM, OffRoaderX said:

My DB40-G did not come with a programming cable.  Has anyone purchased a DB40-G and if so did yours come with the cable?  And, what type of cable is it?

My DB-20-G did have the cable in the box, it's a USB A to RJ-45 cable. Similar, but not the same as the cable for my Kenwood 281a. I'd think the DB40 cable would be the same? Then again, my wife warns me about thinking a lot, so....

Have yet to try the CPS software for the DB20, have read there's somewhat of a learning curve to it, and some driver install issues, maybe? And it's very easy to program right on the radio, so will look at CPS when I've the time

It's not the same type of cable as the DB20-G. That's an RJ-45 connector. This one is a DIN connector of some flavor.

1_1c59f94a-6cd2-4ae3-b4fd-c429c9115cb9_1024x.jpg?v=1715580226

The CPS for the DB20 is a little clunky. The main 'trick' is to use the ">>" buttons for practically everything instead of trying to do it in the spreadsheet, IMO

Yes, mine came with a cable. It's a USB-A to 8 pin that plugs into the mic jack.

The software provided by Radioddity is one step above worthess, however.  You cannot Alpha tag memories, nor adjust any radio menu settings. If you enter Alpha tags using the radio keypad then write some new memories using the so-called "software", it will wipe out your alpha tags. Ask me how I know 😡.

I spoke to RT Systems at the Dayton (Xenia) hamfest and they said they might have a version of their software out for it in the future, but it's a back burner issue. They indicated that the programming for this radio is a "convoluted mess." Their words, not mine.

Chirp saId that they will work on a version once they get a test radio and if "a programmer has the time/interest to do it".  Again, their words.

Have fun.

5 hours ago, WRDG914 said:

I got mine a couple of days ago, it came with the cable you mentioned and with a note to upgrade to new firmware which you'll have to read between the lines to interpret,  its said to add VOX, and the extended wait time to 10 seconds and also allows for channel names to be edited..., ps: it came from Radioddity

That's good info, thanks. I had no idea Raddy had come out with new firmware and CPS software. I just installed and updated firmware and edited all my memories with Alpha tags. Wrote to the radio and boom. Worked FB.

Thanks again